Motorcycle Forum banner

21 - 40 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
I think the only difference between the two is one has clip ons and a quarter fairing and the other has standard bars and no fairing
and about 15 mph on the top end, and a different sprocket, and a few more HP at least in 2006 like mine :D. Not a huge difference in reality, compared to a litre bike LOL. But geared for faster acceleration down low and will not top out so quickly.

F

·
0 Posts
and about 15 mph on the top end, and a different sprocket, and a few more HP at least in 2006 like mine :D. Not a huge difference in reality, compared to a litre bike LOL. But geared for faster acceleration down low and will not top out so quickly.
Oh, wasn't sure, either way though it should be ok but really you don't want to start out any bigger

·
Registered
2,633 Posts
Real bad idea.

I know its already been covered but I still think I will throw my 2 cents in.

Lets say your setting on your shiny 1000cc Suz....at a stop light. With your limited riding experience you pop the clutch at the light with a little to much throttle. You can literally rocket a bike right out from underneath you and into low earth orbit.

Do that same thing on a 250cc sport bike....or even a 600cc to 900cc cruiser and your probably going to be fine.

Somewhere on this very board there was a guy looking for parts to put his back together because he did this very thing.

·
Registered
3,154 Posts
Lots of people covered the major points. I'd just like to mention that the newfangled power-settings on the GSXR's are not newbie-enablers. They are intended to make minute adjustments to the powerband to adjust to different traction conditions on the racetrack. Is the track wet? Use the "lower power setting". Are you a brand new rider? Buy something that's not a race bike.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Lets say your setting on your shiny 1000cc Suz....at a stop light. With your limited riding experience you pop the clutch at the light with a little to much throttle. You can literally rocket a bike right out from underneath you and into low earth orbit.
Haha .. I was coming in to work this morning and did the beginnings of this very thing! (On my 600). I was looking at something and when I looked forward the light had turned green and the cars in front of me were gone. I grabbed the clutch and popped it in gear (cause I was in Neutral) .. but I didnt get enough clutch before tapping the shifter and the bike shut off. Well, Then I am in more of a hurry ... start it, go in gear and throttle "medium" (not hard) at the same time letting out the clutch faster than normal. Wheel came off the ground 4 or 5 inches. :eek:

It was actually kinda fun feeling (uh oh) but not what I WANTED to happen. And if you want my opinion you never want ANYTHING to happen that you didn't WANT to happen.

Lesson for me: slow down and make the people behind me wait ... sucks for them, not me. ;-)

·
Super Moderator
2,070 Posts
Just a thought...park a GSXR 600 in "weak sauce" position at 3grand next to a 900cc cruiser set at...well, normal...also at 3 grand and drop the clutch. My money is the torque of the Vtwin will yank the darn thing out of your hands while the Gixxer stalls. Do the same thing at 6K and the GSXR will launch. One of the things we tend to overlook in 'starter' bikes is that idea that an inline 4 is a deathmachine while a VTwin is friendly Mr. HappyPants.

They both behave differently with seperate personalities and behaviors.

I'd bet that Gixxer600 wouldn't have stalled the first time on a vtwin--he would have launched it, probably been able to stay on board, and scared himself like he did with his 2nd launch on the gixxer.

Most important thing here is:

"Lesson for me: slow down and make the people behind me wait ... sucks for them, not me."

YUP. Don't get spooked into making mistakes!

·
Registered
87 Posts
Agreed. I think its a pride thing more than anything. And usually you react fast without slowing down to realize that. Its a practice thing I think. The next time it happens I will try to make an effort to remember to take it slow, and then maybe practice will make it stick. : )

·
Registered
747 Posts
I agree that it is too much and there is really no reason to push it. You can get a smaller bike, ride it until you want something bigger and the chances are you will get darn near close to what you paid for it when you resell it - think of it as a lease! (So long as you don't destroy it of course).

And I definately consider weight - this is my ultimate bike: http://www.hondabikes.net/honda-valkyrie-rune.html

The 04 Valkyrie Rune, but this thing is way to big for me right now (794 dry) and not to mention too big for my wallet (~20,000 or more)!

Mike

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
It would seem that nobody is giving the rider much credit in this thread, and it's all the bike's fault for being too fast and powerful. I've said this many times, and I'll say it again - you can get severly injured on a 50 cc bike just as easily as a 1000 cc bike. It all depends on how hard you twist your right wrist, NOT the size of the bike. If the bike fits you well, and you're sensible riding it til you become accustomed to riding it, it makes no difference on size. I had a 2-stroke 250 that was super fast. Now, I have a 1500 cc bike that's a real dog in comparison. Get any bike you want, but ride it safely and sensibly. Then, you'll do fine.

·
2007 Yamaha Road Star Silverado 1700
4,672 Posts
It would seem that nobody is giving the rider much credit in this thread, and it's all the bike's fault for being too fast and powerful. I've said this many times, and I'll say it again - you can get severly injured on a 50 cc bike just as easily as a 1000 cc bike. It all depends on how hard you twist your right wrist, NOT the size of the bike. If the bike fits you well, and you're sensible riding it til you become accustomed to riding it, it makes no difference on size. I had a 2-stroke 250 that was super fast. Now, I have a 1500 cc bike that's a real dog in comparison. Get any bike you want, but ride it safely and sensibly. Then, you'll do fine.
Except that on a 50cc bike, a twist of the throttle from hitting a bump will do nothing. That same twist from the same bump on a 1000cc sport bike has the capacity to flip the bike. Your line of reasoning only works if you remove everything BUT what the rider intends to do. Its what a responsible rider DOESN'T intend to do (like hitting a bump and causing a 4k RPM spike) that will get him into trouble.

·
Super Moderator
2,070 Posts
You're right of course, but the question is fine motor control and forgiveness. A 1000RR is much less forgiving than a 250R. Lots of people have and will buy a first bike that's too big--and live to tell about it. The question for me is when you ask for recommendations you get--recommendations!

I ain't gonna tell someone DON'T BUY IT OR YOU'LL DIE. But I will say, drop sportbike at 0mph and it'll cost you 100 bucks. Drop a dualsport at 0 mph and you can pick it up yourself and it'll cost you....nothing?

·
Registered
213 Posts
Sorry TFee3, this wouldn't happen on a 250, 500 or 650:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WV2rvJWLlro

(newb wrecks a bike despite being under instruction by the bike's owner)
Agreed. The rider deserves some credit, yes. He gets enough credit for his first bike to have a little bit of power to grow into. But a 150+ horsepower animal can get out of control of an experienced rider. Don't jump to the final lesson for your first bike. A bike with a 650-700cc engine will probably be much faster than any car you have owned.

·
Registered
747 Posts
Good example Schneiderman; however, this guy was lucky - only the bike got hurt. And by the way, did anyone take note that when it was crashing to the ground it sounded like an aluminum can that was about half full of soda? Well, guess that is all that it was by that time!

Mike

·
Member Map
23,911 Posts
Sorry TFee3, this wouldn't happen on a 250, 500 or 650:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WV2rvJWLlro

(newb wrecks a bike despite being under instruction by the bike's owner)
Who didn't see this coming at the very beginning of the video? :eek:

He should have listened to the cameraman.

"No dude! Don't even give it gas."

This should be required viewing for anyone considering a supersport as a first bike.

·
Gadget Freak
339 Posts
Who didn't see this coming at the very beginning of the video? :eek:

He should have listened to the cameraman.

"No dude! Don't even give it gas."

This should be required viewing for anyone considering a supersport as a first bike.
That's a problem newbies have. When they squeeze the front brake, they inadvertently give it throttle. My wife did that with my CB360t, but with less power, the results were a broken turn signal and clutch lever. No fantastic you tube video. (Of course, that was in 1978, prior to home computers, home Video, or you tube).

·
Registered
47 Posts
I am usually the cocky head strong male that thinks I am mature enough to handle the more advanced device/product and "grow into it".

RC helis/planes for instance, I didnt' want the beginner model i'd outgrow in a couple months, so I went big first.. No regrets.

That said, I wouldn't have a bike that size for my first bike. There is a difference between something you can grow into, and something that can get you seriously hurt or killed over a simple mistake.

But thats just me..

21 - 40 of 73 Posts