Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

Besides wanting to overhaul my electrical because my horn and one blinker is not working, I was wondering if there are any recommended headlight bulbs or blinkers that increase visibility. Also, I was going to look into aftermarket sub headlights (like fog-lights), and at what point do I need to worry about overwhelming my battery?

Best,

·
2007 Yamaha Road Star Silverado 1700
4,672 Posts
If I were you I'd try to find an Interceptor enthusiast forum. You'll need to find out how much charging capacity your bike has in order to figure out how many accessories you can add.

I mounted some cheap driving lights from Walmart to some bolt holes on the forks that originally mounted reflectors. You might look to see if your bike has a similar place to mount them. Don't be surprised if you have to get creative when mounting extra lights.

I ordered some aftermarket HID lights from DDM Tuning. I should be getting them today. I've heard great things about them from the Bandit forum I am a member of. They cost me $42 shipped, so if it lasts it would be a good option considering a PIAA bulb costs the same or more.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If I were you I'd try to find an Interceptor enthusiast forum. You'll need to find out how much charging capacity your bike has in order to figure out how many accessories you can add.

I mounted some cheap driving lights from Walmart to some bolt holes on the forks that originally mounted reflectors. You might look to see if your bike has a similar place to mount them. Don't be surprised if you have to get creative when mounting extra lights.

I ordered some aftermarket HID lights from DDM Tuning. I should be getting them today. I've heard great things about them from the Bandit forum I am a member of. They cost me $42 shipped, so if it lasts it would be a good option considering a PIAA bulb costs the same or more.
I recently scraped my reflectors off :), so a space has become available.

·
Pegasus trapped in a human body on a motorcycle
9,210 Posts
Sylvanya Silverstar Ultras give out a hell of a loght of light without increasing wattage draw on your system. They also make bulbs for the brake light as well that seems to make the tail light brighter. (not as noticable of a difference as the headlight though)

·
2007 Yamaha Road Star Silverado 1700
4,672 Posts
I just got my DDM HID installed. Planning on going for a ride when the sun goes down to test them out and get them nice and warm for a photo session to compare old vs new.

·
Registered
2,633 Posts
Headlight modulator for the win.....no extra load....lots of extra visibility (as in the "be seen" kind.....not the "see" kind).

·
9,210 Posts
Headlight modulator for the win.....no extra load....lots of extra visibility (as in the "be seen" kind.....not the "see" kind).
I have a question about these headlight modulators. does the continuous flicking between high and lo beam cause any premature wear on the filaments in the bulb? I have heard that it can, and I was wondering if thats true.

·
Registered
2,633 Posts
I have a question about these headlight modulators. does the continuous flicking between high and lo beam cause any premature wear on the filaments in the bulb? I have heard that it can, and I was wondering if thats true.
No it doesnt seem to shorten the life of the bulb. Ive gotten them on a few of my motorcycles and Ive never had to replace a bulb on a bike equipped with one yet....come to think of it Ive never had to replace a motorcycle headlight bulb on ANY of my bikes. They must make em' pretty dang good.

Even my old 70's Hondas.....nope, never replaced a bulb.

·
Registered
4,530 Posts
Just threw some Sylvania Silverstar Ultras in last week. They are bright. I was going to go with PIAA but I read too many times how they last about 8 months then went bad...for $50 it should last a lot longer. I need to get a modulator for the headlight when my strobe goes out. I think both right now would be a little overkill. Or I may just try to find some more strobes, I kinda like them and they are in at night as well as having one in the back.
http://www.comagination.com/
These work very well and very easy to install..plug and play

·
9,210 Posts
Just threw some Sylvania Silverstar Ultras in last week. They are bright. I was going to go with PIAA but I read too many times how they last about 8 months then went bad...for $50 it should last a lot longer. I need to get a modulator for the headlight when my strobe goes out. I think both right now would be a little overkill. Or I may just try to find some more strobes, I kinda like them and they are in at night as well as having one in the back.
http://www.comagination.com/
These work very well and very easy to install..plug and play
It seems the Silverstar Ultras are brighter on low than the stock high was on my bike. A most excellent mod in my opinion. I have heard that the Silverstar bulbs do not have as long a life as a stock bulb, so it would be interesting to see just how long it lasts. (I carry the old stock bulb handy just in case)

·
Registered
2,633 Posts
It seems the Silverstar Ultras are brighter on low than the stock high was on my bike. A most excellent mod in my opinion. I have heard that the Silverstar bulbs do not have as long a life as a stock bulb, so it would be interesting to see just how long it lasts. (I carry the old stock bulb handy just in case)
I did the same thing.....but I have had the Siverstars in bothy my Goldwing and VStar.......they are still going strong after 3 years.....and I put alot of miles on that Goldwing.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Depends on the circuitry. It should not wear the bulb if it is done using PWM (pulse width modulation) at a low frequency of the 12V power to the lamp to get the dimmer light.

I built a cheaper and smaller version which utilizes a power resistor in series with the bulb to get the dimmer light and a pulser that switches at about 3 Hz. That has the potential for shortening bulb life, but mine has run a long time doing it s far.

·
9,210 Posts
Then I guess that maybe this is a mod I should consider.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
They definitely increase your visibility. I have read some bikers claim they anger some drivers because they are annoying. If it was flickering the high beam on an HID, it would probably be annoying. I can select on mine and I just flicker the low beam.

Anyway, I printed out the text of the federal law which makes these modulators legal just in case some bozo cop pulled me over but haven't been pulled over yet.

·
9,210 Posts
If it annoys them, then they have seen me... which increases my odds of survival. The cagers always say "I didn't see him!" Well, they will see my modulated Silverstar Ultra which appears twice as bright as my stock bulb (at least to me)

·
Registered
2,633 Posts
I get to hear "your headlights broken" alot.....and you will occasionally have someone think your an emergency vehicle and pull off the road for you.

Ive never had anyone get angry with me.

I modulate the high beam.....the electric eye will only allow it to be used in the day time.....and in the day I want visibility. They come prewired for the high beam.....and I left it that way.

http://www.comagination.com/ is where I get mine - simple to install, best price and Ive never had one let me down. I also recommend the brake light modulator to - you can get a package deal and save a little money.

·
9,210 Posts
That sounds like an excellent idea, modulating the brake light. Also, I eventually want to get an LED setup... some of those are as bright as the sun!!! modulate THAT, and they chould have an easier time seeing you.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Check with your local highway patrol before installing a brake light modulator. They are illegal in california. The federal law specifically allows for modulating the headlight, not the brake light. So it will fall to local laws on that one.

·
Rarefied
186 Posts
I just got my DDM HID installed. Planning on going for a ride when the sun goes down to test them out and get them nice and warm for a photo session to compare old vs new.
How long did it take for DDM to get you those?

I ordered mine from them on 3/29/11. Shipping says it left China on 4/6/11.

It's now 4/15/11 and I still don't have them. :(

·
Registered
2,633 Posts
Check with your local highway patrol before installing a brake light modulator. They are illegal in california. The federal law specifically allows for modulating the headlight, not the brake light. So it will fall to local laws on that one.

They are not illegal in California. They MAY be in other states....but California is one state I KNOW they are legal in.

California has a specific requirement that tail light modulators must meet. Comagination makes a California legal tail light modulator. Below is quoted from their website:

IBF4 Very small Intelligent Brake Flasher (IBF4) with about 4 FLASHES/3 seconds and then stays steady ON until brake is released. 16 amps maximum. Full reset is described above. Required by some States. Conforms with California DOT regulations. This is the best choice if your not sure ... $29.95(IBF4)

1 - 20 of 34 Posts