Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a ninja 300,whats the best headlights to use, i dont want the troubles of switching to hids

·
Registered
81 Posts
The one that came with the bike? I mean, it's already been paid for... It works... I guess, if you are repairing crash damage and you are budget limited, you might look at aftermarket rubbish.

·
American Legion Rider & sub-Administrator
25,278 Posts
Reactions: EngineCollector

·
Short Fuse
421 Posts
Can't you just change current bulb to an LED bulb?
I bought some of these for my Ninja 650 - absolutely pathetic. A candle would have been brighter. I pulled them and put the original bulbs back. Not recommended at all.

The real LED lights require a heat-sink with fan because, while led part of the bulb itself doesn't generate much heat, the base does.

Since the heat-sink is relatively large, there are very few true, bright H7 LED bulbs that will fit behind the 300/650 fairings.

The OP is better off going with something like the Philips Diamond Vison halogens - direct fit.

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
For somewhere in the range of 300 to 500$ you can order a LED light kit that is made for enduro bikes. But you need an extra 50 or 60 watts of DC power to power them. I seen a few guys riding them let year. They are also accessory lights so you can't run them on street if anybody is coming the other way.

·
25,278 Posts
The OP is better off going with something like the Philips Diamond Vison halogens - direct fit.
Absolutely but he seemed to not want to put much effort in as well. You do get what you pay for and part of that is the effort to do it right.

·
Zip
2,218 Posts
A bulb constructed like that is guaranteed to produce horrible illumination from a reflector type headlight housing. The reflector is designed to produce a well-defined beam from a light source that is a single point, that being the 1/4" long filament inside the H7 bulb. Some LED bulbs are constructed so that they mimic the halogen filament pretty well. I chose one of those for my bike and the results are very good. Here's the one I used: Amazon.com: HIKARI H7 LED Bulbs, 9600lm, High Lumens LED Conversion Kit, Japanese CSP LED Tech, CANBUS Ready, Halogen Replacement Bulbs, 6000K Cool White, Foglight: Automotive.

As @Shiverguy pointed out, you need some extra room in the back end of the headlight assembly for that fan/heat sink. There was room on my bike for it, I don't know about yours.

·
Short Fuse
421 Posts
The reflector is designed to produce a well-defined beam from a light source that is a single point, that being the 1/4" long filament inside the H7 bulb. Some LED bulbs are constructed so that they mimic the halogen filament pretty well.
Great minds think alike. I was just about to post a similar comment to follow up on my previous post. You covered it perfectly. (y)

·
Short Fuse
421 Posts
its not the effort of installing hid its the cost lol
From a Google search it seems that a full HID conversion kit is around $150US - that's not really a lot of money. You could buy the globes that I recommended as an interim improvement, and save up for the kit.

·
25,278 Posts
its not the effort of installing hid its the cost lol
Then you might look into a motorcycle boneyard to see if you can find something there that will fit your bike. eBay is another place to look. There's a lot of effort required like this but you can save a lot of money too.

·
Registered
13 Posts
My light on my bmw was less than useless. Was not angled right so that did not help but after I adjusted it was still terrible. Went to repco and purchased an LED bulb. Changed it over in less than a minute and man what a difference....like having a spot light on the front and the road is let up like day. It's the best thing I ever did and a cheap option at $90 for two bulbs so I have a spare. Well worth it

·
Registered
81 Posts
That's another good point... I've noticed a lot of cars and motorcycles (both) that haven't got their headlights adjusted properly. I rode one bike where the headlight, with hi-beams on was aimed at a spot 20 feet in front of the bike. For night riding it was a death trap. It took me maybe thirty seconds to turn off the hi-beams, grab the headlight, and angle it up to where it was supposed to be. The owner had been riding it that way for months... Granted, some faired headlights are trickier to adjust, you might have to read the owners manual. But still, it's worth taking the time :)

·
Registered
333 Posts
i have a ninja 300,whats the best headlights to use, i dont want the troubles of switching to hids
HID's will require a seperate power from the battery and a relay, with the relay controlled by your oem light plug.. they will pull too much power overloading the stock wiring and most likely melt it/ before a fuse will pop.

led's are somewhat a better option, and if you want to see better with them, you will need a "quality" set... cheap china led's are all over ebay/amazon, but you will have to hunt for a good set...look for (Epistar 5150), or CREE type led. all others will be less power draw, but less light as well. bright up close, but for distance use are shite...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts