Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
Hoping someone can generously offer some help or suggestions. My DT is (was) in good riding condition, then one day, no spark.
I pulled the flywheel and one of the screws on the lighting coil had backed out and got into the flywheel. That then proceeded to jack up the
windings on the lighting coil. I acquired a replacement, and it bolts up, but the part number indicates it is for a '77 250, which, my research
shows is c.d.i. equipped. The diameter of the windings is slightly smaller, but it does have 3 wires for the harness connection which
is what the old one has, albeit different colors of course. A wiring diagram I looked at shows these three all go to the handlebar
switch through the harness. Finally, to my question, will this lighting coil work for a points ignition system, or will it screw something
up if I give it a try ?
Can't tell You how much I appreciate the expertise in advance !
stranded

·
Vintage Rider
428 Posts
I would put your question on a Yamaha Enduro based forum, such as Yamaha-Enduros.com. Also if you have lost spark, I'd say your source coil has been damaged as well, as I believe the lighting coil only is used for powering certain lights while running, (Headlight, tail light and instrument lights) as well as charging the battery. Horn, neutral light, signal lights and brake light are usually powered directly from the battery and don't require the motor to be running. With that being said, as long as they are both 6v coils and it fits properly, the only likely difference is output. which either may blow some bulbs or allow for the battery to deplete.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts