Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
American Legion Rider
26,080 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Learning to not be afraid of rain is good. Just be cautious as you learn.

I liked this meme when I saw it but thought it needed a word of warning.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Day late and a dollar short! But I'm definitely learning. I'd rather lose the bike practicing and finding limits at slower speeds in an empty lot than on the road barreling through a turn too fast.

P.s. I'd rather not lose it at all but if that's not the case then the former far exceeds the latter.

·
Ace Tuner
3,578 Posts
Soon as I turned 18 I grabbed me a pair of scissors and took off running.
Ha, take that mom. :D

Kidding, she was the best ! (y)
S F

·
Ace Tuner
3,578 Posts
Back when motorcycles was just a hobby I really liked riding in the rain. I'd ride 15 miles to work, park the bike in the rain then suit up at quitting time for the rain ride home.
Kinda like being in your own little world. All nice and dry wearing good rain gear and in a totally different world.
Then motorcycles became my profession and I learned why I kept ruining electrics, wire harnesses and stuff.
Now I have the best rain gear but I never ride in the rain, on purpose, anymore. Well, sometimes for tire testing but...

S F

·
On The Road Again!
4,221 Posts
If I get caught in the rain, oh well, put on the rainsuit and ride home.
But I won't go out for a ride in the rain if I don't have to.

·
American Legion Rider
26,080 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
But I won't go out for a ride in the rain if I don't have to.
Not even if you have a planned trip with motel reservations for the night and however many other nights you’ll be on the road?

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
15,550 Posts
I'm always surprised when its not raining on a trip. Oh look...more rain.

Yeah but your trips take you across multiple time zones and climate changes................:)

·
Premium Member
9,918 Posts
Even for the guys that do ride in the rain: They are really slow. Maybe it is the heavy tanks they ride. Often it is crappy clothing. Some bikes foul plugs. And they get dirty, and your new precious wheels would not like that.

UK

·
American Legion Rider
26,080 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Didn't we just recently discuss the hazards of lightening when riding in the rain? ???
Yes, but keep in mind that not every rain event has thunder and lightning. I’d say to use common sense but that’s something that is in short supply these days it seems. So to put it simple, don’t ride if you hear thunder. Any other time ride if you want.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Maybe it's just me, but it seems pretty common sense to not (intentionally) ride in lightning. If you happen to get caught in a storm... Well then it happens and each individual must calculate their risk and decide to stop or go. I go fishing from boats a lot and always take a non-metallic boat if on a multi day river trip if there are thunderstorms in the forecast and I know I won't have any cover. Last year I found out what a deep-purple cell on the radar truly is. However, risk is often subjective with no global datum....

·
Premium Member
9,918 Posts
It has rained here every day save 2 this year. No lightning, no E either. We got 50% more rain than the average, and made the top ten for total rain recorded. I think going back about 100 years.
The song is wrong about thunder only happens when it rains. We get very little thunder or lightning here, but plenty of rain. Inland once, there was about 1500 lightning strikes over night. Weather guys said " we missed it "
Should add, I have been out riding the mighty 400 many times this year, but not yesterday, it snowed.
Lots of lightning in NZ, and lots when I was NW of Chicago years ago. Lake Geneva.

UK

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
15,550 Posts
Yes we did, but some have short memories

·
Registered
93 Posts
Sometimes you have no choice. It is a statically proven fact that if you have a group trip planned to any part of the Smoky Mountains, it will rain on your trip. My first time riding in the mountains was at a weekend trip to the Dragon years back. Weather was great until the time we pulled out to make the 5 1/2 trip home. Torrential downpour for 4 1/2 hours with no rain gear. I ordered a rainsuit as soon as I got home, as well as a new iPhone to replace the one that one that was waterlogged. After riding in that, I have no qualms about riding in the rain. I don't want to, but it doesn't bother me as much. I keep a stash of ziploc bags in my jacket , just in case I ever get caught in the rain unexpectedly. Make's a great waterproof phone case in a pinch.

·
Registered
3,646 Posts
I don't like riding in the rain. If I plan a ride and it rains that day, I'll wait a day or two. Being retired allows me that option. If I'm on a trip, just got to take what mother nature throws at me or get a motel room. Not too often do I have to be anywhere at a certain time or day.
Retirement does have its perks. (But I always pack a rainsuit.) ?

·
Registered
399 Posts
The first time I got caught in the rain I nearly froze to death in an July thunder storm in South Carolina! All my bikes have storage space for rain gear since then. Shivering with blue lips before I got to a place where I could warm up. So much for a day that started out hot and an idiot that was not prepared. Wind chill is a nasty thing.

·
Premium Member
1,124 Posts
I went down in the rain once, I rode from WV to Pa and I believe it misted the whole way. Then it started down pour, I pulled into a gas station. It scared the hell out of the truck behind me. I was hurt a bit but nothing major in anyway. Bike had to be picked up though.
Now I am very very paranoid riding in the rain

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.