Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3,429 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today marks 49 years that I have been married to the greatest woman I have ever known. My passion for her is as strong as it was on the fateful day back in 1966, and she has been my confidant, best friend, and my trusted adviser for almost half a century now. We went (to celebrate our anniversary) for a couple of days in Detroit (yes, Detroit) so we/she could make a full visit to the Detroit Institute of Art. It was great to get away, had some good food, and arrived home today. When we reached Rockford it was 79 degrees, and despite just having finished driving for 6 hours, we went out for about an hour's motorcycle ride on the quiet country roads north of the city. And being it was as warm as it was, I went with an open face helmet, light gloves, no jacket and jeans. It was the kind of day and the kind of ride where all by itself would have been enough for me to say "life is good!". But happening today, and thinking how lucky I am to be married to this wonderful gal, and that I am physically and mentally able to fully enjoy riding my motorcycle (as I am only a few weeks from my 72nd birthday), I especially felt it was right to feel that "life is good"; very, very, good. Stay riding my friends!

·
7,488 Posts
Congratulations Vito, you certainly have been blessed.:biggrin:

I and my Wife have been married for 40 years and with each other for a few years before that. I am blessed also.;)

Sam:coffeescreen:

·
So long
2,739 Posts
Thanks for sharing the joy! It's great to hear how happy you are.

I'll raise a glass tonight and toast your anniversary and upcoming birthday. :thumbsup:

·
American Legion Rider
21,200 Posts

·
Aging & Worn
4,516 Posts
having been married not QUITE as long (only 38 years) I can still say "congrats" from the perspective of a large number of years, and the level of patience and endurance it takes to keep a relationship for a long duration of time. It is no small feat!!

-Soupy

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Thats an amazing story vito congrats to you & Mrs vito!

We're coming up to our 1 year anniversary :D we plan to do do something 'motorcycle related' to celebrate! Perhaps a ride to cottage country & stay at a nice B&B.

·
Charlie Tango Xray
763 Posts
Congrats. Those are the days you'll remember forever.
I guess I'm a youngster, having only been married to my best friend and cutest riding buddy for 34 years. And to me, she still looks hot in her riding outfits. :)

·
Left. No, the other left.
220 Posts
Congratulations to you and your missus, Vito!
My girl and I only have fifteen years together so far (married for 7), but we're both looking forward to notching time the way you have.

·
American Legion Rider
21,200 Posts
If it's anything like my life, the congratulations needs to go to the wife. But congratulations to both you and your wife vito.:)

·
Female Rider
9,311 Posts
Congratulations Vito!! Sounds like you are both very fortunate to have each other. Tell Ms Vito congratulations from the Forum.

·
10,757 Posts
Congratulations man. My wife and I just celebrated our 26'th. We have lasted longer than all of our friends, and almost all of our relatives. It is refreshing to hear stories like yours.

·
Registered
3,429 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I don't have a magic answer for why my marriage has survived and thrived for 49 years so far. Part of it surely is that both my wife and I know that compromise and respect are essential, and that we will not always (sometimes it seems like not even often) agree on things. Over the years I have grown more politically conservative, and my wife has grown.... more tolerant. She hates guns, and I am a Life NRA member who carries concealed every day. She used to hate motorcycles, but now rides with me more often than not.

Oddly, when we announced that we were getting married, almost 50 years ago, I was not quite 22 and she was just 18. Everyone we knew said it would never last, that we were just too different.

I believe that divorce is catching, and if you are from a family filled with divorce, and have everyone you know around you divorcing, it just might spread to you. Being a career Army officer for the first 24 years of our marriage certainly helped us. While there were plenty of divorcing Army couples, those were the exceptions to the rule. And being away from where our friends and family were forced us to become closer and reliant upon each other. While both of my wife's siblings divorced, and one of my two siblings did the same, being far away certainly seemed to immunize us from that to quite an extent. And for what its worth, so far among my four grown children, only one has seen his marriage end, and that just within the last few months after 20+ years together.

One final comment: I think how you handle finances can play a role in how successful your marriage is. From day one, as was the norm in those days, we no longer were separate financial entities. What little we had went into a joint account, and whatever we each earned was always our money, not mine or hers individually. We were not just a romantic partnership, we were business partners so to speak. We always discussed big potential expenses (other than one time when I bought a new Honda cruiser without talking to her first and that caused several frigid days in our household) and for good or bad, faced financial challenges together. When I see young couples today (including one of my children married to a spouse that earns more than my child by a long shot) keep their money separate, with each paying certain household expenses from their own money, I think that certainly keeps them more individual than a couple and weakens the bonds of marriage.

That's about all the wisdom this old guy can give out right now.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Good for both of you Vito,me and mine have 25 together and if The Lord would not have sent her to me I am convinced that I would either be dead or in prison.RIDE ON BROTHER!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts