Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
The Sportier Dude
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I velcro my license plate to its holder and remove it anytime I'm not riding the bike.

As a NYCer it's a matter of survival. People steal plates and/or the city of NYC love to write up tickets. I already gave to that charity: once. I'm all paid up. No mas thank you verymuch (and parking anywhere I please is a habit that's hard to get rid of).

One problem though: the velcro (home depot industrial brand) comes loose and tonight for the second time my plate flew off and I was walking in the middle of the four-lane highway-wide First avenue looking for a small piece of shiny metal. found it.

Does anyone know of a better way to fasten on/off easy besides velcro?

Thanks

Rogan

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
What about using a metal backed holder and some very strong magnets (like neodymium)?

Edit: or Kra-Z-glue some magnets on the holder to connect to the ones on the back of the license plate.

·
Gone
23,907 Posts
Wouldn't a couple of wing nuts with lock washers work a lot better? Yeah, they might take a few extra second to attach and remove, but think of all the time you will save running through traffic looking for your plate.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,153 Posts
If I had to park on the street in NYC more often I would set up some lynchpins. (luckily my bike is parked in a secure building 99% of the time)

·
Gone
23,907 Posts
I'd think the plate would bounce around a lot while riding with linchpins. That might play havoc with the paint job, depending on the model of motorcycle.

·
Ninja Robot
1,829 Posts
I am confused you want to be able to quickly remove your plate so you can park illegally??

Can you clear that up for me sorry, I am being slow tonight.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I am confused you want to be able to quickly remove your plate so you can park illegally??

Can you clear that up for me sorry, I am being slow tonight.
He wants to take them on/off quickly so he can illegally park without getting fined and in case someone tries to steal them. My take anyway

@dods Not sure the outcome would be the same, but when I first put my license plate on, I was at a hardware store (didn't get screws with it), and only hand tightened it. Took a little ride, and I saw my plate by off my bike and slide a hundred feet or so (thankfully on a backroad with no traffic). Not sure if the wingnuts would tighten it enough so that wouldn't be an issue (just a guess).

·
Registered
59 Posts
It is common practice for the scooter crowd and some of the moto guys to take their plates with them when they park on the streets here. The ticket agents are relentless and you will get a $95+ ticket in the blink of an eye. Without the plate they usually just pass on the bike and move on to ticketing cars and trucks. In the time it takes to manually write out a ticket based on a VIN, they could have ticketed four or more cars/trucks. Also there are a lot of plate thieves that will snatch plates to use on their unregistered bikes.

Rogan: I've seen ads for a product called Plate Puller http://www.platepuller.com/

I have no idea if it's a quality item or not, but figured you could look into it and report back.

·
Ninja Robot
1,829 Posts
That is awesome, around here if you park without a plate a tow truck will be there in a heart beat. must be the difference between a small city and a big one.

·
Registered
2,632 Posts
3M Dual Lock......good stuff.

http://www.3m.com/product/information/Dual-Lock-Reclosable-Fastener.html

3M™ Dual Lock™ Reclosable Fasteners are a fastening solution that can replace screws, bolts and rivets. The fasteners contain hundreds of mushroom-shaped stems that audibly "SNAP" together to form a secure attachment with strong adhesive backings that adhere to your substrate. Adjust, realign or reattach with ease, leaving your product with clean, smooth lines free of holes or interruptions.

·
The Sportier Dude
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for a lot of great suggestions you guys; awesome!
Robow, I guess that would be a difference between big and small cities -- interesting, did not know you could get towed so easily. Here in NYC there are few tow-trucks able to handle motorcycles so the city does not bother; I've seen a scooter park on the sidewalk out front for about 28 months before getting towed away.

·
Registered
6 Posts
wt bout this?

wt if u put two small metal hooks at the top facing upward going thru holes on the top of the plate, then a wingnut thru the bottom to pin it down, mite be lotsa work, but in case if the nut loosens the plate shud still hang onto the bike by the hooks

excuse me for my sh**ty drawing lol, but just an idea, dono how exactly u can put the hooks on lol

Attachments

·
Registered
27 Posts
around here you would definitely get towed for parking without a plate. Is it that hard to find a place to legally park in the city so that you wont get towed... not being smart just don't travel to large cities very often? if I had to remove my plate constantly I would probably just go with the wing nut idea seems easy enough

·
Registered
3,153 Posts
You can find a place to park anywhere on the street in NYC. And by the time you run into a shop to get a coffee, you will return to find your motorcycle on its side and possibly ran over.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts