Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am a really crppy painter.

My color coat looked great but now my top coat has runs in it...
is it salvagable with surface compound, or is it 600 grit time before the compounding?

·
Registered
3,162 Posts
I am a really crppy painter.

My color coat looked great but now my top coat has runs in it...
is it salvagable with surface compound, or is it 600 grit time before the compounding?
You need probably 400 grit over a sanding block to start. The sanding block is so the run will cut down the fastest. Follow with 600,1000 and 1500 block sanding before the compound comes out to play. If you think that you may be getting close to cutting through,add another coat of clear to save your color coat.

If I wanted to be sure of not messing up,I would do a test piece purposely creating runs and practice on that first.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
paint....

great helps...!
thanks,
I will be painting the tank bottom with a dark bronze poly I have
left over from something...

today, I took a beaker full of old red oxide primer, added some yellow oxide tint to it and sprayed the plastic primed body with it,

It was really thick, didn't run much and is a light camo tan color.

It looks pretty good, matches the poly tank and side covers and gold seat and milspeck webbing box on th the back!

·
Registered
27 Posts
You need to cut down the runs. If you try to treat them by sanding or compounding you'll just make smooth lumps in he finish.

Eastwood and others sell tools for it called 'run razor', 'nib files', etc.

The idea is to get the level of the surface consistant and THEN start with sanding/compounding.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts