Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Aging & Worn
4,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
When you meet another biker in a casual situation, while riding your bike to and fro, "let me get inside your head." What's the first thing you think of when you look at the bike they are riding?

What do you find yourself drawn to examine? Their tires, their chrome? Bike Brand/Model? Accessories?

Someone in this unruly crowd (lol) will say something like, "I look to see if it's a girl or guy, and check THEM out," but I'll ask you to keep this Thread out of THAT arena please! (lol).

I remember being in the Carolina's on our last trip South, last March, and stopping for gas. Sitting on the curb, about 5 feet away from me, was a fella and a girl (both dressed like "1 percenters") behind an 883 HD.

I remember trying to figure out, "did she ride HIM, or did HE drive." Then I remember my next thought as, "that bike is awefully small for those two (they were of average stature, but still)!"

While the tank was filling on my F-150, knowing that it would take a while to fill a 36 gallon tank that was on empty when I pulled in, I walked over and engaged them in conversation for a moment (something my grandfather did, which I still do, "talk to strangers as if they were family.").

I don't remember what I asked them, frankly. I'm sure it was something like, "man ........you couldn't ask for better weather to ride in" or something like that. I didn't discuss the 883 with them for whatever reason.

-Soupy

·
Swamp Rat Rider
1,867 Posts
If I am stopped somewhere I usually start with a friendly wave or nod and then watch their reaction to see if they may want to pursue any farther conversation or just leave things be at that .. The only time recall just having to engage some talk was this gal riding a Vespa here in FL with a California tag and had traveling gear on her and the Scooter both and Yes she had rode it from there .. Was very friendly and glad took the time to say hello ..

·
Aging & Worn
4,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If I am stopped somewhere I usually start with a friendly wave or nod and then watch their reaction to see if they may want to pursue any farther conversation or just leave things be at that .. The only time recall just having to engage some talk was this gal riding a Vespa here in FL with a California tag and had traveling gear on her and the Scooter both and Yes she had rode it from there .. Was very friendly and glad took the time to say hello ..

Mornin Joe! Makes me remember to get another cup of coffee (lol). "Joe"

I get the conversation part of your thoughts. I'm wondering about the bike though. What are you looking at, first thing (on the bike, that is.......lol). What do YOU check out, first?

-Soupy

·
Swamp Rat Rider
1,867 Posts
That was simple .. If had been a Guy on a Vespa riding from California would still have started up a conversation .. The fact that is a Gal riding alone for close to 4,000 miles was just more interesting .. Hope that doesn't get the Gals stirred up at me .. :)

·
Gone.
17,871 Posts
I generally don't pay much attention to the other person's bike unless it's a vintage or something else unusual that really catches my eye.

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
Bikes are bikes. Isn't that simple? I am always interested in someone else's bike so I start out by asking about it. It depends on the answer I get where I go from there. If there is some mutual curiosity it can get very interesting but if the idea that comes through from their response is that their bike is the ultimate, what more is there to say.

·
Registered
304 Posts
If the rider is on the bike at the time I would say I usually look at how they are positioned on the bike to see if it looks comfortable in relation to myself. But generally I don't look for one thing in particular. I've found that it depends on the bike itself on what I draw my attention to. Any accessories they have and how they are installed on the bike. Just yesterday I was driving home from work (in my car) and I noticed the tires on a bike that was coming at me in the opposite lane. They were noticeably thick, threaded and fat. Looked like even the the biggest nail wouldn't puncture them. Last night while I was riding home on my bike, I passed another bike that had lights on and under the frame.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I always look to see what type of bike it is, the brand, then any accessories they may have. I always like to look at the engines as well.

I have to admit, a chromed out bike catches my eye, but I like to look at all bikes I see to be honest.

Probably a NOOB thing. LOL!

·
Registered
2,642 Posts
Soupy...I'm not sure you really want to get "in my head", it's really scary in there!
Now on to the question....I don't think I actually pay any attention to the bike at all, it's more about another rider. If or when a conversation ensues I might look over the bike, but don't really pay attention to anything in particular. Though I do admit to seeing some bikes and think "how can you be comfortable on that?" Usually super custom rides with little tiny seats and long rakes.

·
Female Rider
9,324 Posts
If they have luggage that I can see I will check the license plate to see if they are from another state. If we start a conversation great, I'd like to hear about their trip.

If it's a female rider I will usually check to see the size of their bike and normally will strike up a conversation. But I live in a rural area and we like to be "friendly".

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
I do a quick guesstimate on the bike's weight, and wonder if I could handle it going on into my advanced years. If the rider is there I'll probably wander over and ask what she's like to ride. Every rider likes to talk about their bike!

If it's a Harley and the rider is with it, I'll usually go over and ask what model it is - there's just so many Harley models that it can be confusing for us non-Harley riders. I'll admit that I'm not familiar with all the bikes in the Harley range and I usually find the rider will be very outgoing and get into talking bikes in general.

·
Nightfly
4,030 Posts
With all the threads you've started are you writing a book? I'm with Eye... If it's not vintage, car or bike, I'm not that interested....

·
Aging & Worn
4,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
With all the threads you've started are you writing a book? I'm with Eye... If it's not vintage, car or bike, I'm not that interested....

Actually, I was considering that, yes. However that's not my motive in here. I just love motorcycle's and those who ride them, and enjoy starting a conversation.

-Soupy

·
Registered
42 Posts
Usually start with just a nod, or hello, if they would like to converse we can. I don't really care what anyone rides, just like to see where they have been, what type of riding.
We all have one thing in common, we like to ride.

·
Registered
217 Posts
I usually take first notice if its a male or female riding. Then brand, and how many cc, guesstimation of course. Then the casual nod, or wave. Typically I take more notice to sportbikes cause that's just what I'm into. I also like to see what type of tires they have. Tires can give you a good idea how they ride or use their bike.. Mainly sportbikes but that's just me. Same with how they have pegs oriented, and bends, or scratches will tell you if they like to stunt the bike out.

-iortiz

·
Registered
411 Posts
I don't think I've ever started a conversation.
Usually, while gassing up or suiting up after returning from the store, someone will invariably ask me what kind of bike it is. The only identifying marks are on the side covers (Honda), which are blacked out, so you can't really tell.
The Mack bulldogs on the sides of the tank often prompt something like, "I didn't know Mack made motorcycles.".

I'm generally out to ride, not to talk.

·
Veteran Member
3,201 Posts
I generally don't pay much attention to the other person's bike unless it's a vintage or something else unusual that really catches my eye.
I read the first post here, then started scrolling down to add my reply. It was going to be the same as yours, almost word for word. Goldwing? Street Glide? Full faired sport bike? Seen a million of them just like them in the last week.

Vintage Brit or Jap bike? Pre-war Harley? Original Indian? Now we're talking!

·
Nightfly
4,030 Posts
I read the first post here, then started scrolling down to add my reply. It was going to be the same as yours, almost word for word. Goldwing? Street Glide? Full faired sport bike? Seen a million of them just like them in the last week.

Vintage Brit or Jap bike? Pre-war Harley? Original Indian? Now we're talking!
+ 1

·
Registered
116 Posts
My first thing is always the sound... Iv always loved the sound of a strong loud motor but that's for car or bike. A roar or a rumble and it puts a big stupid grin on my face. Lol next I like to look at the bike then the rider and see if the rider and the bike match... Like a 300lb dude on a 250 ... That always makes me chuckle... Then question the physics of it...... I beleave you can tell a lot about some one by what and how they ride.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts