Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My left handgrip rolls (Rotates) Its not loose to where it can come of, In fact I tried to pull it off and its secure. It has just started the last week, It rolls like your Throttle....Is this a problem or can I let it be?

·
Gone.
17,857 Posts
If it's a Harley style set up the grip is held on by glue, and by a flange that gets trapped between the two halves of the switch housing when that gets tightened down. If the glue comes loose it will rotate but it won't come off. It's just an irritation. Almost every aftermarket set that I have seen made for HD is of that style.

You can use something called "Grip Stick" by Scott or "Black Widow" grip glue to re-glue it. (Most common stuff around the house won't last.) Just loosen the switch housing screws, separate them enough to slide the grip off, clean the handlebars and make sure there's no crud inside the grip, and glue them back on. Make sure you move out smartly once you put the glue in the grip, because it sets up fast.

·
American Legion Rider
23,769 Posts
My grip got broken once when some drunk stumbled into the bike an knocked it over. I just held it on until I got home an slathered some Gorilla Glue on it and ordered another. I'm still waiting for that dang Gorilla glue to give up and let go. That was 3 years ago and waiting. Wonder if it's too late to send the new grips back?:D

·
The 43rd Poser
440 Posts
Scotts is good stuff.

I keep a single-use tube in my toolkit... needed it on a 2 week trip once, long story.

Gorilla may hold, and I love it for making duck decoys (yeah, I carve), but it's a wood glue. I've heard of guys having good luck with it, however. Gorilla on the clean bar, a little water in the grip, sha,e it out, slide it on.

·
Aging & Worn
4,516 Posts
Since solutions to your problem have already been offered, I'll just make the following observation..........

When I bought my first bike, I decided that I liked the idea of putting fringed grips on my hand grips. those are the kind that you sew on like laces, (leather) that had 6 inch long fringes dangling from them.

I guess I thought that it would personalize my bike a tad, making it "mine" in some way.

Never DID really like those fringed grips!!!

-Soupy

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If it's a Harley style set up the grip is held on by glue, and by a flange that gets trapped between the two halves of the switch housing when that gets tightened down. If the glue comes loose it will rotate but it won't come off. It's just an irritation. Almost every aftermarket set that I have seen made for HD is of that style.

You can use something called "Grip Stick" by Scott or "Black Widow" grip glue to re-glue it. (Most common stuff around the house won't last.) Just loosen the switch housing screws, separate them enough to slide the grip off, clean the handlebars and make sure there's no crud inside the grip, and glue them back on. Make sure you move out smartly once you put the glue in the grip, because it sets up fast.
Im sorry, I should have noted the bike in my post, It is a stock Handgrip on a 2006 HD Softail.

Thank very much everyone.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts