Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello

I was looking for some cool super hero based helmet if there are any on the market. I was specifically looking for a helmet looking like Red Hood from Batman. As I suspected there was none that I managed to find. I was then wondering if I was to buy a DOT bucket and could mod it with some 3d printed parts and turn it into a Red Hood helmet would it still be legal to wear on the streets?
I am from Canada

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Local laws can vary wildly so I have no clue on that front, although if a Predator helmet is legal (or those freaky Muppet helmet covers), I don't see why not. Sounds like an interesting idea and would love to see pics if you end up doing that!

·
Visionary
5,264 Posts
Technically it's probably not legal, but I doubt you'd have trouble in most areas.
I have read reports occasionally of people being hassled for mounting goPros and Senas, usually the riders claim the police mentioned a rule (which may or may not even exist) about projections from a helmets smooth shell not being allowed to be more than 6mm high.
On the other side of the coin...My wife rides with 2 18" purple pigtails on her helmet and with over 50K miles all over the country has never had an issue so I wouldn't worry too much.

·
Premium Member
9,867 Posts
You say you are in Canada. I have noticed it is a fairly large place. What might be illegal in BC, might be legal in AB or QC. Or move to the far East and get a Govt. grant to do the job.
A plastic helmet also has different properties than an FG helmet, but you did not tell us that either.

UK

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You say you are in Canada. I have noticed it is a fairly large place. What might be illegal in BC, might be legal in AB or QC. Or move to the far East and get a Govt. grant to do the job.
A plastic helmet also has different properties than an FG helmet, but you did not tell us that either.

UK
  1. I am from Montreal Quebec. The plastic material wouldn't matter since the dot part of the helmet is the bucket. Everything around it should be a problem no? So the helmet would have the fiberglass dot bucket and de pla printed parts on it

·
Moderator - Loves All Motorcycles
1,251 Posts
Like others said, the legality can vary wildly. Some US states say you can't add anything to a helmet it wasn't designed to have, some states don't care. I would think that even in a place where it's illegal you won't be bothered as it's not likely a law to be heavily enforced.

·
Premium Member
9,867 Posts
The early plastic helmets ( polycarbonate ) which is the outer shell, could not be painted. They could also break if dropped on to a concrete floor. Snell usually does not approve plastic helmets. The newer plastic helmets have to be better and they are. Fiberglass helmets, and I am talking about the shell, can be painted. Stick on graphics is another matter, and I do not think you will bugger up the structural integrity, with these. The Quebec laws will be different than most anywhere else, due to the civil law. Your local motor vehicle branch should have the answer somewhere in the road code, but probably will not be able to find it.

Bon chance.

·
Registered
607 Posts
You should be able to contact your highway department and find out the legal status. As for me, I'd be more interested in whether any contemplated mod would compromise the integrity of the helmet than any legal concern.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi, I've been designing helmets for 30 years.
the air intakes are a part that must break off from the helmet during the impact.
You don't have to make any more holes on the helmet.
but in general, if you tamper with a helmet, the insurance will not compensate you.
furthermore, as they told you, don't paint a polycarbonate helmet.
you can do it also if in fiber.
Sorry for my English

Paolo

1 - 9 of 9 Posts