Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it me or just the DC/VA/MD metropolitan area or is it happening everywhere?

There seems to be fewer and fewer people who understand that the left lane, by law, is for faster moving traffic.
It would be easy to blame a growing percentage of drivers who grew up outside the states, but it appears to be far more pervasive!

My son took drivers ed in high school last year. In a class in which they devoted an hour to lane positioning, no mention of getting out of the left lane for faster moving traffic was made. In fact, the class room AND on-the-road instructors advised moving into the left lane MULTIPLE intersections in advance of an anticipated left turn.
My girlfriend's daughter is a year ahead and at a different HS. Her experience was identical. When she was initially driving on her own, she was oblivious to the left lane being for faster moving traffic -- I recall her telling her mother that the kids agreed that "it was easier to sit in the left lane!"

I really noticed all of this again when riding home the other night on Rte 66 between the beltway and Rte 50 in Fairfax, Virginia. This is a very congested road with fast moving traffic. Far too often, the left lane sitter creates a ridiculous situation in which many vehicles get "trapped" causing far too many otherwise sane drivers to make dangerous maneuvers to get past the first idiot.
This impacts everyone of us that is trapped in the "rolling fish net" created by the LLS.

It is particularly dangerous after dark for anyone on a motorcycle who gets squeezed into the pack!

Is there any way to fix this??
I truly believe LLS is the cause of far too many problems on the roads -- probably worse than anything else!

·
Gone.
17,873 Posts
It seems we're teaching kids less and less these days.

Proper lane use was probably offensive to a small group of people and thus was dropped from the course.

·
2007 Yamaha Road Star Silverado 1700
4,672 Posts
I've ONLY known that to be the case on the interstates. On regular multi-lane street roads the left lane is absolutely, most definitely NOT just for faster traffic.

Case in point, here in Tucson I'm a mile from my work. If I don't pull out and immediately get into the left lane for my upcoming left turn a mile down the road it may be impossible for me to get over in time.

·
Registered
3,123 Posts
I agree. The left lane is for passing and faster traffic but only on limited access highways.

·
Commute Racer
2,225 Posts
VA is all kinds of messed up anyway with their ridiculous definition of reckless driving. It makes everyone go the same speed, which results in pack driving.

Last night I was going through lower PG county, and let me tell you, there are some self important left lane sitters down there. If they see that you want by them, they will slow and match the car next to them, of if you're going around them on the right, they speed up and try to stop you from passing.

·
Veteran Member
3,201 Posts
I got a speeding ticket on my bike because of a left lane driver. Well, I like to blame them, anyway. One by one cars were having to pass this lady by going around on her right. She was doing about 60 in a 65, in the left lane. When it was my turn, I hammered the throttle and went around her, then slowed back to about 70 or so. Little did I know right at that moment we were passing a State Trooper clocking people from an on ramp. He tagged me at 78mph.

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I agree. The left lane is for passing and faster traffic but only on limited access highways.
Technically, a driver may not occupy the left lane of any road (in Va) if they are traveling less than the speed limit, unless for passing or anticipation of a left turn.
On the interstate, it is generically for faster moving traffic.

Does anyone think it is either safe, advantageous to traffic flow, polite or even intelligent to sit in the left lane of ANY road unless you are approaching a turn?

·
2007 Yamaha Road Star Silverado 1700
4,672 Posts
Given that I'm not the type of driver/rider that will hang out in the left lane going 5-10 MPH below the speed limit, yes. I think it REALLY depends on your local environment, though. For instance, back in MS the main strip than ran through Starkville, MS was a four lane road (two lanes in each direction) with a third turning lane when necessary. Most people who are going THROUGH town will hang out in the left lane, because in that lane you don't worry about people in front of you turning right, and anyone turning left has their own turning lane anyway. Thus it is a straight shot.

Here in Tucson the main road near me is 3 lanes in each direction, with turn offs for left turns. In my mind, the middle lane here translates to roughly the same purpose as the left lane back in MS, and is useful if you aren't planning on turning any time soon. That being said, all three lanes are almost always packed out of necessity due to the relatively high number of drivers here.

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
goalie

go one step deeper.

why DO people do this?
well - it could be because they are rude, selfish and just don't care about the drivers behind them. Yeah, that's possible.

But as often as not - its because they ARENT even using their mirrors AT ALL. They have ZERO awareness of traffic behind them. That's even worse than bad choice of lane assignments.

Be careful with the "left lane sitters" ... they are advertising the fact that their eyes and brains are NOT working. be careful - even passing them on the right ... get clear as quickly as possible.

dT

·
American Legion Rider
18,518 Posts
Most interstates in Texas have signs that say the left lane is for passing. Means nothing. I followed one fool Friday. He was in the left lane and so was I. He was all over that lane doing 75+ down to 70 over the line on the right and left. I just stay way back until he hit the gravel after running over the rumble strips. I shot around that fool after that. Let him crash by himself. Obviously texting trying to maintain 75 mph but wouldn't get in the right lane for anything. After all they were only doing 72+. You wouldn't want to text that slow now would you!!! I agree that some don't even know what the left lane is for(even when it's posted) but some are just rude inconsiderate jerks.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Odd question: is going the posted legal speed limit in the far left lane illegal?
Strangely, I often ask myself the same question. I drive my cage only at the posted speed limit. If I am in the left lane doing the speed limit, I feel no obligation to move over for faster traffic. Generally, the traffic in the adjacent lane is moving at or just below the speed limit. Therefore, I am not the slower traffic. I realize that this does cause some frustration for those who wish to go over the speed limit, but that is not my problem. But, I do make sure that my speed stays at the posted limit.

And, yes, I am subject to lots of road rage in the LA metroplex area when I drive there.

Since I don't live in a large metroplex area, I avoid riding my bike in those areas.

·
American Legion Rider
18,518 Posts
No. But it does show you are a road hog or self appointed traffic cop. Which then we can assume then if you came to a four way stop at the same time as a car on your right, you would never feel the need to let the car on the right go first. It's the same kind of road courtesy. Get out of the way if cars are stacking up behind you. Pretty simple.

·
Commute Racer
2,225 Posts
Odd question: is going the posted legal speed limit in the far left lane illegal?
In most states, including mine, no. It should be though. Keep right should apply no matter what speed you're going. At 120mph in the left lane, if some guy comes up going 140, you should signal and move over if you're no longer actively passing people.

There are plenty of things, to include hogging the left lane, that people can legally do and still be rude.

It's legal to push my cart full of stuff up to the express lane at the grocery store, and if the manager doesn't have anything to say to me, the people behind me can just sit on it and spin, but that doesn't justify my actions.

·
It hurts when I pee
1,058 Posts
I move to the left lane when I see cruisers trying to close in on me. I slow down a little and let them think they are going to scream by me on the right. They are smiling from ear to ear until I drop it down a gear and let them know why they call it, "The Busa Killer". There is something about getting schooled by a snowmobile on wheels that gets these folks upset and never gets old to witness in my rear view............... Only playin, :coffeescreen:

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Strangely, I often ask myself the same question. I drive my cage only at the posted speed limit. If I am in the left lane doing the speed limit, I feel no obligation to move over for faster traffic. Generally, the traffic in the adjacent lane is moving at or just below the speed limit. Therefore, I am not the slower traffic. I realize that this does cause some frustration for those who wish to go over the speed limit, but that is not my problem. But, I do make sure that my speed stays at the posted limit.

And, yes, I am subject by to lots of road rage in the LA metroplex area when I drive there.

Since I don't live in a large metroplex area, I avoid riding my bike in those areas.
Sanctimonious, self-serving, inconsiderate load of crapola!!!
I hope, truly hope, you reap what you sew.

·
Registered
472 Posts
About two years ago I had to work on a Saturday and headed up the highway. I was doing a shade over 65 in the right lane and a jeep came up in the left lane doing about 75.

Right behind him was a state cop. When I say right behind him, I mean there was less than a car length between them.

The jeep had no side mirrors and no interior mirror which means there was no way to see behind him. Yet there he was cruising in and blocking the left lane with another car right behind him (a cop car no less).

I watched the statie tail him for about two miles before he lit him up.

BTW - being Saturday morning there was barely anyone else on the road. He wasn't passing anyone.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Wow. Did not expect to rile this many people. I am always amazed at how many people can get upset at someone who chooses to obey the law. I am a road hog because i choose to obey the law. I am sanctimonious because I choose to obey the law. In California, I am legally allowed to use the left lane at the speed limit. If the No. 2 lane is moving below the speed limit, I have no reason to move over. That is quite common in California. Trucks with trailers are required to drive 55. That makes me faster than them.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts