Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
I have recently switched my tail light to a new integrated LED one however I have a constant brake light working? If I disconnect the wire from the brakes then it leaves me with just the running light. I've attached a picture of what's going on down there. The yellow wire are for the indicators which are working fine. I was of the belief that there should be no power to the brake light unless I activate the brake? Any help would be much appreciated

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,765 Posts
We're going to need more, like a link to a manual/schematic of the new tail light.

·
Visionary
5,245 Posts
Ditto what he said, the schematic would be very helpful. You might need a diode in the right place to prevent a backfeed, or a load resistor in parallel with the brake light LED to simulate an old school light bulb. Or you might just have it wired wrong.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies guys! Sadly it was an ebay purchase which came with no paperwork. I tried contacting the seller for instructions or even a part number but they couldn't help.

The wires coming from the unit connect to a plug which fits into a bulb socket and at present im connecting the wires from the bike to the wires on the socket... do you think id be better off cutting the plug off the unit and connecting the wires directly to the bike? Hope that makes sense? See pic.

Attachments

·
Visionary
5,245 Posts
Just a thought. Maybe the running light and brake light wires are reversed in the plug that fits where the bulb went?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
5,765 Posts
So, is the socket the one that came on the bike, or did you add it, in place of the stock socket? I'm guessing it gets dimmer when you disconnect the brake light wire. This is where knowing the bike, and it's schematic may be important, as some bikes have control units for the lighting system instead of basic switches, and the load of the bulb becomes important.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts