Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Visionary
4,656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For anyone curious about LED replacement bulbs in a stock reflector, for me at least it's working well. For a while I have been pondering trying an LED headlight bulb...I finally bought a 20/40 watt 3600 lumen H3 bulb on eBay and put it in my V-star 2 days ago, I rode into work in the dark twice now and I like it... VERY NICE!!!

The LED is way brighter than the halogen bulb, and much whiter as well. The light pattern is wider and lights the road much better to the sides and close in, and on high beam, well it actually MIGHT not reach out quite as far as my Silverstar Ultra halogen did, it's a bit more diffused I think , but the overall pattern is much wider and the road in front of me remains bright unlike before..I used to hate switching to high since I'd lose sight of potholes and deer in the woods that were close in. The Ultra is the best of the best when it comes to halogen bulbs BTW, this reaches out WAY further than the stock bulb did, I'm comparing it to a very high standard.

I'm not sure how to test daytime visability but I'm sure this is more visible during the day too, it's much whiter than daylight, and stands out well from the ambient light. It is VERY bright, the light fills the reflector especially on high, in fact I did a bad thing, I looked into the highbeam when I first installed it, very briefly and it HURT! I was still seeing bright purple spots in my vision 5 minutes later, I suggest NOT doing that!

I have always felt like I lost the close in light when I switched to high beam, especially with the ultra which was VERY sharply defined compared to the stock type bulb, well with the LED that is not the case, the low area stays bright and the rest of the road just fills in on high. . It's a very big improvement... I'm convinced, it's staying in there.

It is weird to hear the cooling fan on the headlight heatsink humming away after the engine stops, the first time I did that it was like..what's that noise? I turned off the key, the light went out and so did the humming..AHA..I got it! But of course when it's running that's not an issue, I do want to go back in the bucket and secure the electronic box that is wired to the bulb, I just stuck it in there for the test but I think I will secure it somehow, something very complex and high tech, like gorilla taping it to the shell. :)

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
14,370 Posts
Which one did you buy?

·
Visionary
4,656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
http://www.ebay.com/itm/271842851615

This is what I got..there are so many out there, it was very confusing. Someone on another forum tried one of these and it worked, so I figured I'd give it a shot...

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
14,370 Posts
Thanks

·
Registered
804 Posts
I'm not sure how to test daytime visability but I'm sure this is more visible during the day too, it's much whiter than daylight, and stands out well from the ambient light.
I went on a group ride last weekend and was fourth bike from the back. We rode a staggered formation and the last bike in line was roughly 8-10 seconds behind me at 55mph. She had the LED headlight in her Roadglide. I could see her easily, but not the bike in front of her, which was an HD Breakout with the original headlight.

I'd say daytime visibility is darn good.

·
Pegasus trapped in a human body on a motorcycle
9,208 Posts
I notice that the item is currently out of stock... dammy

·
Commute Racer
2,225 Posts
I got mine from cyclops, and it's been great. The provided spacers position to beam properly in the reflector.

·
Visionary
4,656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
I added some more LED lighting yesterday, 2 27 watt LED passing lamps, they are really just generic 4X4 off-road lights, work lights, etc, I've seen a couple of folks around here with them on trucks and 1 set on a bike so I figured I'd give them a try, if they didn't work out on the bike I'd put them on my Subaru, or use them as work lights, or something, they are quite cheap.
They worked out GREAT, I rode last night to test then this morning into work, I saw so many deer lurking alongside the roads it scared me..maybe ignorance was bliss :) I have them aimed pretty low and no one high beamed me so I guess I'm not too blinding, and I sure am visible now!

·
Visionary
4,656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I guess they sold them all, maybe I should get a commission! :)

I think some other sellers on Ebay had what appeared to be the same bulb, search with the description and see what you find.

I notice that the item is currently out of stock... dammy

·
Shaper Of All Things Metal
2,799 Posts
I added some more LED lighting yesterday, 2 27 watt LED passing lamps, they are really just generic 4X4 off-road lights, work lights, etc,
Nice clean looking lights (and installation)! Where did you get them and are you using a separate switch? :icon_cool:

·
Visionary
4,656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks.
Right now I have them wired into the running light circuit, no switch, on all the time with the key, this was just a test. I made connections in the bucket also to hook them to the high beam or the low beam, I can just switch the plugs to try any of those, once I decide what I like I'll decide if I need a switch, what it should do, and where to put it.

I'm not sure what's best, what do others do with their lights?
On my wife's bike I wired them (Yamaha factory passing lights) to be on with the low beams and off on high, she was told this was the correct legal way ( is it?) and likes it but I'm not sure that's best, but it was what she wanted so that's what she got.

I got them on Ebay, they are really, really cheap, and surprisingly heavy cast aluminum with I assume black powder coating.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/151794995549

Nice clean looking lights (and installation)! Where did you get them and are you using a separate switch? :icon_cool:

·
Pegasus trapped in a human body on a motorcycle
9,208 Posts
Mike, the driving lights appear to be out of stock as well...

·
On The Road Again!
3,848 Posts
Thanks! I just ordered a pair of 'em on Amazon. I'll probably paint them silver or something. I don't like the black.

Re: High beam or low beam.
The law in most places is that they only come on with the low beam, which I think is stupid. After all, you want them for long distances ahead, same as what you use your high beam for.
Personally, I wire mine with a separate switch so I can decide when or whether they are on or off.

·
Visionary
4,656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
That was what I thought when I wired up my wife's extra lights, why turn them OFF when the brights are on? I can't imagine what the reasoning for that is. She checked with the dealership that does our inspections and their inspector said they had to work on low beam only to technically be legal, and I looked it up on the Pennsylvania DOT website and that IS what it says. My wife is a letter of the law person so that's what she wanted and that's what I wired. :biggrin:

I'm more of a rule bender :wink:and unless I see a good reason to turn them off ( I'm willing to listen) when the high beams are on then mine will be on when they are in high beam, as well as low, and definitely on during the day, they make me so much more visible. Always on is working for now but I think I like your idea of a separate switch just in case I want to turn them off, I'm just not sure where to put it and what to use.

Thanks! I just ordered a pair of 'em on Amazon. I'll probably paint them silver or something. I don't like the black.

Re: High beam or low beam.
The law in most places is that they only come on with the low beam, which I think is stupid. After all, you want them for long distances ahead, same as what you use your high beam for.
Personally, I wire mine with a separate switch so I can decide when or whether they are on or off.

·
American Legion Rider
23,698 Posts
they make me so much more visible
It may be in my head but I think I'm getting fewer pulling out in front of me since switching to the brighter LED's too in addition to having spots(also LED now). Not enough to lower my guard though.:D

1 - 20 of 22 Posts