Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I recently put LED turn signals on my 82 gs450. Now I have multiple problems that I didnt anticipate before putting them on.. Dumb me. So first off all lights go on with either direction and I know this can be solved with a diode kit although I have no idea what wires I connect it to.

My next problem is the blinking rate. Most bikes I believe would just blink faster with LED's vs the normal halogens. On mine they are what looks like to be on as solid lights (all of them).

I know I need either a flasher relay or some load resistors but im not sure how I would know what resistance to get due to the lack of flashing or how I would put it all together.

Thanks

EDIT
Also found this that looks very similar, if I got a relay like this would it work on any bike? Or is it specific? Also have no idea what is going on with the blue wire. It looks the same

http://www.apriliaforum.com/forums/showthread.php?132047-LED-Signal-Fix

·
Premium Member
5,643 Posts
That all looks right - the flasher has to be electronic, and often may be found at auto parts stores, and the instructions for adding the diodes are good.

Note post #5 - GMG's reasoning is why I don't have LED signals in either of my bikes.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That all looks right - the flasher has to be electronic, and often may be found at auto parts stores, and the instructions for adding the diodes are good.

Note post #5 - GMG's reasoning is why I don't have LED signals in either of my bikes.
Haha alright thanks. So quick question, if none of them flash is that just because of no load or is it that my flasher relay is broken?

·
Premium Member
5,643 Posts
No flash usually means no power source, or no ground. The flasher should get power from the key switch (via one of the fuses), and pass that on to the selector switch. From there, it goes to one set of lamps, which are connected to ground through the case each bulb fits into. If you've replaced the stock flash lamps, then it's up to you to properly connect the inputs and grounds. If you've reversed the input and ground to the LED, it will not light.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No flash usually means no power source, or no ground. The flasher should get power from the key switch (via one of the fuses), and pass that on to the selector switch. From there, it goes to one set of lamps, which are connected to ground through the case each bulb fits into. If you've replaced the stock flash lamps, then it's up to you to properly connect the inputs and grounds. If you've reversed the input and ground to the LED, it will not light.
Well they all light up when I move the indicator switch either way, so I don't believe that would be the issue (since they light?) and I did not change anything related to the relay...

·
Premium Member
5,643 Posts
Did you install the diodes for the indicator? Install a flasher rated for LEDs? A regular flasher may not flash if the load is too small (LEDs instead of filaments), and the indicator connects both sides together if you don't rewire it to add the diodes and ground.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Did you install the diodes for the indicator? Install a flasher rated for LEDs? A regular flasher may not flash if the load is too small (LEDs instead of filaments), and the indicator connects both sides together if you don't rewire it to add the diodes and ground.
I ordered a led flasher on ebay yesterday and will be getting diodes tomorrow, but I also heard that if you dont care about the instrument light going on you can just disconnect the turn signal indicator light. Do you know if this is correct as well?

·
Premium Member
5,643 Posts
If you take the bulb out, then the connection between the sides is broken; if you don't need it, take it out.

Reactions: lxbru

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If you take the bulb out, then the connection between the sides is broken; if you don't need it, take it out.
That was an easy solution! I should have thought of it. The signals now are only solid on their respective sides. Hopefully the new relay works out that problem.

·
Premium Member
5,643 Posts
One thing you can do, if you still have the stock signals, is put in one filament bulb; that side should flash rapidly.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts