Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One of the things my dad always warned me about when I first started driving a cage was to "watch out for leaves on the road especially if the roads are wet". Though I've never really had any issues with them in the cage, I'm wondering if they are a bigger danger on a bike. I would think so, but I could be wrong, it's happened before. I've been known to slip on them just walking on my own two feet....

Is there any special precautions you take when coming up to a pile of wet leaves? Especially from your idiot neighbor who decides to blow all his leaves in the roadway? I would assume if it's a good enough pile, you would treat it like hydroplaning, let off the throttle and try not to use the brakes if possible. But if you had to brake, would you use just the back or just the front or a combination? May seem like a silly question, but I know I'm gonna run into this problem soon, as the leaves are already starting to fall here, and I want to be prepared for when it does happen.

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
yes ... DONT ride over them.

its OK if its just a small pile of dry leaves ... but try to keep your bike straight and not turning.

wet leaves can cause you to lose traction - esp. if you hit them in a corner. so I always try to avoid any kind of obstruction on the surface of the asphalt. you always want your tires to stick to the road. you can do small swerves around stuff - and still stay in your own lane :)

dT

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
If you are going over even a single layer of wet leaves, make sure you are going in a straight line. They are far worse than grass clippings or tar snakes as far as affecting your traction.

·
American Legion Rider
18,644 Posts
One thing most never think of, a leaf on top of the ground will trap moisture. Don't believe it, leave a tool or someting out all night. The ground loses moisture 24 hours a day. A single layer of leaves on a corner can be slicker than snail slime if you hit it right. There are more than leaves why Autumn is called Fall. Motorcyclist do too because they fail to realized a leaf is the same as a oil patch.

·
Female Rider
9,324 Posts
Slicker than ice, try to avoid them!!! I didn't fall but my bike sure slid in them last year while pulling into my daughter's trailer court. Probably the closest I've come to low siding.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
One important observation I've discovered with leaves, is to make sure when you put your feet down off the pegs you dont step on them.

·
Registered
2,642 Posts
Wet leaves are the DEVIL!

I love fall, but hate the wet leaves on the road. Since I live in the mountains they get all blown up in my favorite corners and lay there in wait for an unsuspecting rider to come by, then they reach out and grab ALL the traction!

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That's what I pretty much thought. Maybe I'll hook up some sort of leaf blower to the front of the bike to blow them out of my way!! Now wouldn't that be a sight to see.....

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
If I stick to the more traveled roads, I should be fine. Most of the leaves tend to stick to the inside of the lanes. I tend the favor the left hand side of my lane, though there are times I pick the right side for visibility reasons or road conditions. Just one more thing to put on the never ending keep your eyes open lists. I just wish my idiot neighbors would stop blowing their leaves into the roadway. The same ones that plow the snow into the road.....some people just have no consideration for others.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The only thing good about wet leaves if finding nightcrawlers under them....good for fishing, other than that I hate raking leaves...

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Fall is coming pretty quickly here in Ontario Canada too. The leaves are changing spectacular colors, and yep ALL of them are going to be on the ground soon.. it's going to be a bumper leaf crop this year. :(

Instead of the boring raking, I've discovered it is much easier to attach the bagger onto the lawnmower and "vacuum" the lawn leaves into the bag :D

& yeah the ones that fall onto the road.. they're slicker than snot under the wheels of the bike. Be cautious!

·
Registered
4,928 Posts
That's what I pretty much thought. Maybe I'll hook up some sort of leaf blower to the front of the bike to blow them out of my way!! Now wouldn't that be a sight to see.....
back when I was younger, I wanted to build some kind of flame thrower on the front of my car to melt the snow and ice so I wouldn't slide around in the winter....:biggrin:

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I hate driving in the snow with a passion. Even though I know how to drive in the snow (you would be surprised how many new englanders don't know how), if I can get away with not driving, my butt stays home. I'm a big chicken and will let others drive me to work rather than drive myself. A few February's ago we had a freak blizzard that dumped unscrupulous amounts of snow is a short period of time. I got stuck at work for three days sleeping in the paper towel section (sorry for your squished towels). When I finally did manage to get home, I needed to borrow my neighbors ladder to climb the snowbank to get in my driveway. My plow driver could not move the snow, and it was too much for the snow blower. Ended up having to shovel it into the snowblower, by the time I got done, it was time to go back to work......A flame thower would have been used had I had one.......

·
Registered
59 Posts
What about gravel? While we are on the topic or dirt on the road. As in not a gravel or dirt road but loose gravel on a concrete surface and dirt thats been piling up from vehicles leaving dirt roads onto the concrete road. I have always wondered how careful i should be riding across these types of surfaces. I fear the worse pretty much every time. :) Ok. Im exaggerating.

·
Registered
4,928 Posts
What about gravel? While we are on the topic or dirt on the road. As in not a gravel or dirt road but loose gravel on a concrete surface and dirt thats been piling up from vehicles leaving dirt roads onto the concrete road. I have always wondered how careful i should be riding across these types of surfaces. I fear the worse pretty much every time. :) Ok. Im exaggerating.
loose stones in the street, or even the sand on the road after a snow (or in the spring) is like trying to ride on marbles....there you are riding along on a nice solid surface then come across something that moves under the tire and whoops...there goes your traction

·
Registered
137 Posts
One year, during harvest season in Kentucky, my stepson wiped out in a turn due to the wet grass left over from a hay mow that had blown across the road--- in a '94 Toyota MR2. Wet leaves or grass are worse than the old steel grate bridges in wet weather. Loose gravel is why you never swing wide on on/off ramps.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts