Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I got my first bike today (1980 Honda CM400 T) and now I need to go out an get a helmet. I do like the old fashioned style leather helmets that are brown leather with the ear flaps (the type you might wear with goggles), but of course that won't do for proper protection. I also see hard versions of those coming out of Asia, online, but again I realize they're of terrible quality.

Any suggestions for anything like that, but more safe/modern?

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,836 Posts
I have only seen one of those on the Wild Hogs movie. Not enough protection for me.
"What's that leather condom gonna protect you from? Snoopy? The Red Baron? How about dating?" LOL

I have never seen one and I also can't think of anyway that could be designed to be a helmet up to DOT standards and be true to the style.

·
Registered
3,153 Posts
Never seen one, but I have to say, if a helmet of DOT specs were wrapped in leather it would increase its effectiveness because the leather would behave like skin (...it is skin) and absorb rotation upon impact with the ground, meaning your head twists less and lower chance of rotational injury.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Maybe you could find like a leather cover and put it over a helmet that you like. No idea where you would find one though.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I only wear FF and that's what I would recommend to anyone, regardless of how long they've been riding. However, with the disclaimer out of the way, I think this is an incredible looking lid. Not leather covered, but leather trimmed, retro and futuristic at the same time. Was thinking of picking one up for when I ride my scooter, but even on the scoot I prefer a FF.

I am not able to post links because I am a few posts short of maturity, but just add www to
designerhelmets.com/prodlist.php?cat=Cromwell&prod=Spitfire and you should be able to see what I am referring to, or you can just Google Cromwell Spitfire.

Incidentally, from reading reviews it seems to be as well made and as safe as a half helmet can be; which means pretty safe up top, lower down not so much.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Riding a motorcycle isn't a fashion statement. Wear what'll keep you safe :(
So not true! I'm OK with being safe - but who says you have to look like CHiPs doing it?

I say - cool is cool - do what you want find what you want wear what you want. But - try to be safe with it.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have a Vega helmet that looks identical to the outlaw above in this thread......its comfy....I feel "somewhat safe" in it.....but if I ever do any highway riding, which I will in future, I'll opt for more of a half or maybe FF helmet......

·
Malevolent Savant
2,088 Posts
Looks is in the eye of the beer holder. Or is it beholder? :biggrin:

·
Registered
46 Posts
Wear what ya like. Ride your own ride and, yes, leather doorag, leather wrapped helmet or an old leather football helmet, they all look cool if you think they do. Enjoy.

·
Registered
33 Posts
The old half shell with the ear protection is minimal protection at best. Those are getting hard to find as most people have gone away and a full face helmet has become more accepted in the cruiser world.
I still ride in a 3/4 without a face shield during races simply for the visibility. I ride looking back as much as forward when Im with the race leader.
After riding with a number of different folks I would say if you just got your first bike wear a full face. Find one thats comfortable and fits you well. Spend the money and get a good helmet. You do not have to buy the high end brands to get great quality but dont sell yourself short and buy a flea market helmet.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts