Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, somewhere along the way, people who ride Harley Davidson started grouping together and formed "clubs". Now, we all know that these packs of leather vest guys are up to no good, or at least that's the image they want to portray. Hell, they could be dentists and fire fighters for all I know..
But that is missing the point of motorcycle riding. Sure, ride with your friends! Biking is about freedom and flying and loving every twist and turn. It is not about gangs and shady ******* dealing. Man up and be someone a kid would look up to... Sincerely.
Don't wear that vest. Don't subscribe to that pack mentality.

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
I have a Harley, I dont ride in a gang, I dont wear a vest, it offers zero protection.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have a Harley, I dont ride in a gang, I dont wear a vest, it offers zero protection.
I love all bikes . I don't like the stigma that has been ingrained on bikers.
Live Free or Die.
Don't judge, don't use a beautiful tool to perpetuate hate and criminal activity. Enjoy your freedom.

·
Premium Member
9,876 Posts
Most of the Harley riders in these parts, are the ones obeying the road code.
I wear several different vests. One is leather. I also have a leather jacket and pants and chaps. I do not ride a Harley.
Once upon a time some bike riders had a tiger head painted on the back of their jackets. What was that for?
Pleased you like a vibrator between your legs. But you did not say what you ride.

UK

·
Registered
2021 CanAm Spyder RT
3,938 Posts
Welcome to the forum. I see you are starting a number of new threads, and that is a good thing since this forum has become less active over the last year or two. Some of us have been here for years and posted thousands of times, but without new blood the forum will eventually wither and die. So don't feel bad that the thread you start might have been discussed a hundred times before, it just might stimulate some good discussion. But here's a suggestion: don't be too hung up on the subject of Harley Davidson. There is a lot more to motorcycling that just loving or hating HD.

·
Registered
977 Posts
Welcome to the forum and I understand your feelings.....

In my area there are the Legion Riders (part of the American Legion), the CMA (Christian Motorcycle Associations) and the MMAA ( Mountain Motorcycle Association of Arizona). They all wear leather vest/jackets with color patches. There are over 60 motorcycle clubs and associations in Arizona including the more famous like the Hell's Angles. They all wear colors and many wear upper and lower rockers. Not all but most all members of these clubs and associations ride Harley's. Many of the clubs and associations like the AL, CMA, and MMAA in my area promote charity events that help the elderly, the veterans, the children, and motorcyclist rights. Most all are not under investigation by law enforcement, most all have members from all walks of life. Most all have a love for riding motorcycles as a core. 1% clubs will rarely if ever mixed their members with members of other 1% clubs as that is in their charter, most associations will often mix with other associations for various benefit rides.

I don't ride a Harley, I'm not a member of a club or association. I often were leather, but never a vest. I wear no patches on my gear. I ride for me. But I will also ride for anyone or any other group, association, or club for a worthy cause or for others that I may be able to help. To stereotyping riders works both ways, it is a glass house that divides us rather than uniting us.

There is a stigma, but often it is misunderstood by those who wish to misunderstand. Regardless, it is what it is precieved to be and like it or not it is a part of the American motorcycle scene.

·
American Legion Rider
25,978 Posts
And don't forget that other gang, the PGR where a vest is very much what made them effective and what is expected when they are invited to the last ride of someone.

That vest is an inanimate object. It isn't the vest, but the person that wears it, that makes it whatever you or they want it to be.

I wear a vest 100% of the time in public. If you see me you will see a vest. My closet is full of them. I wear them with or without shirts or T-shirt. It is just my thing or trademark I guess some might call it. And yet I belong to no club except for the American Legion Riders.

But I guess a vest makes me bad in the eyes of some. Some being other motorcyclists. It's a shame this article of clothing seems to offend some. But I'll wear what I want, thank you very much.(y) (y) (y)

·
Registered
2021 CanAm Spyder RT
3,938 Posts
I might be the only member of my local GWRRA that does NOT wear a vest showing membership in this riding organization. I just never saw the value or importance of this item and the sewing on of all sorts of patches and badges. Maybe it just reminds me too much of when I was in the Boy Scouts.

Reactions: Eagle Six

·
Registered
977 Posts
And don't forget that other gang, the PGR where a vest is very much what made them effective and what is expected when they are invited to the last ride of someone.
Thank You, I did leave out the most important group being the PGR. Since I moved to my current location 11 years ago, there hasn't been one mission I was able to attend out of only 3, which is sad. When I lived in the valley there were many. I didn't wear a vest then, but I did ride with the colors on the rear of the bike.

·
SUPER MODERATOR
9,140 Posts
Sandman, your naive attitude and opinions are to me anyway, childish and uninformed:)

"Don't wear that vest. Don't subscribe to that pack mentality." Sandman quote

You have a right to your own opinions but I take offense as a 56 year rider that got his first vest in 1991, to show my HOG chapter rocker, all of my ride pins and event patches, all of my Veteran and Military support patches and not one thing is offensive, if I wore it to Sunday School and Church on Sunday.

A vest does offer great weather protection in lieu of a full jacket depending on weather.

It also is great when I conceal carry, which I do a lot when I ride, unless I am open carrying, both of which I have the right to do as I am licensed to do so.

I hate the '1 %' outlaw riders that you tend to group the other 99% in with. Shame on you my Friend.

Sam:love:

·
Premium Member
9,876 Posts
I may have to change my clothing options. I have noticed that bad people, murderers, bank robbers, rapists, commies even, are wearing clothes similar to what I have been wearing for quite a long time. Considering the options, it would seem raw, or naked, is the only option, as the minimum of harm done to others, is from naked folks. But global warming is going to have to speed up a lot, or it could be chilly.
I wore my leather vest today and no one seemed offended. Maybe I need to put my protest buttons on.
" Bridge free Salish Sea " Islands don't have bridges " " Don't make the Coromandel a national disaster area "

UK

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Most of the Harley riders in these parts, are the ones obeying the road code.
I wear several different vests. One is leather. I also have a leather jacket and pants and chaps. I do not ride a Harley.
Once upon a time some bike riders had a tiger head painted on the back of their jackets. What was that for?
Pleased you like a vibrator between your legs. But you did not say what you ride.

UK
It's not a vibrator. It's a two wheeled machine. I appreciate your humor, I like Harley as much as I like Honda BMW and all motorcycles... I've been riding for about 35 years, I have an old 92 vfr.
My point is new cyclists should be encouraged, not threatened by pack mentality. It feels like the right time to say this, with all the pack mentality spreading everywhere. Whatever happened to peace and love?
Seems like that's not a thing anymore. War and division is much more popular.
PS Shiny side up. Sticky side down.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Welcome to the forum and I understand your feelings.....

In my area there are the Legion Riders (part of the American Legion), the CMA (Christian Motorcycle Associations) and the MMAA ( Mountain Motorcycle Association of Arizona). They all wear leather vest/jackets with color patches. There are over 60 motorcycle clubs and associations in Arizona including the more famous like the Hell's Angles. They all wear colors and many wear upper and lower rockers. Not all but most all members of these clubs and associations ride Harley's. Many of the clubs and associations like the AL, CMA, and MMAA in my area promote charity events that help the elderly, the veterans, the children, and motorcyclist rights. Most all are not under investigation by law enforcement, most all have members from all walks of life. Most all have a love for riding motorcycles as a core. 1% clubs will rarely if ever mixed their members with members of other 1% clubs as that is in their charter, most associations will often mix with other associations for various benefit rides.

I don't ride a Harley, I'm not a member of a club or association. I often were leather, but never a vest. I wear no patches on my gear. I ride for me. But I will also ride for anyone or any other group, association, or club for a worthy cause or for others that I may be able to help. To stereotyping riders works both ways, it is a glass house that divides us rather than uniting us.

There is a stigma, but often it is misunderstood by those who wish to misunderstand. Regardless, it is what it is precieved to be and like it or not it is a part of the American motorcycle scene.
Here's the thing., I think we can all agree that division and hate and war are all on the plate right now. All across the world. The only thing I truly enjoy anymore is motorcycles. When I see packs of colors and affiliations, I associate that with ...
Something bad, I can't explain it.
I've already had kick back about my vest comment. I have a vest too... It's Kevlar and has extra steel plates in it.
(That being said, I don't have a gun)
It's just I think after years of seeing the strange **** that happens at LACONIA and a twisted perception of motorcycle riding, I thought I'd throw in my two cents.
Thanks for being kind! I didn't mean to piss everyone off.

·
SUPER MODERATOR
9,140 Posts
All we are doing here is sharing opinions and some may vary. We mostly all get along over the YEARS.

Pre judging motorcyclist by the type of bike they ride, the clothes they wear is short sighted.

The Harley groups I rode with in Southern California were mostly affluent, upper middle class, professional Folks, that had their poop together. I did actually ride with a Senator, an UTE Indian Chief, Doctors and Lawyers, leading Hollywood actors, numerous LEO's, in top positions, Firemen and Firewomen, business owners, housewives, Truckers and Tradesmen and most Important of all, lots of active Military, Retired Military and disabled Veteran's like myself. 99 percenters all and no BUMS.

We wore our Vests and were/ are proud of them as they speak to our passion of riding, fellowship, beliefs and records of our rides and travels.

I belonged or still am a member of HOG-Harley Owners group, Indian owners group, BMW owners group and the Goldwing Riders association and all have their insignia's and vests.

Sam:)

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
15,523 Posts
Let's see, I spent over 20 years in the Navy. My vest reflects that investment in life. I'm a Viet Nam veteran, reflected on my vest. I am a member of the Patriot Guard Riders (PGR) reflected on my vest. I ride a Harley (reflected). I ride a Yamaha as well it is on my vest.

I wear my vest went I take part in an Honor Flight or taking part in a military funeral. We (PGR, ALR) take part in these events as a token of respect for a fallen brother another military veteran.

If my vest offends you please look the other ways because the 'gang' I belong to is the Brotherhood of Military Veterans.

·
Registered
977 Posts
Here's the thing., I think we can all agree that division and hate and war are all on the plate right now. All across the world. The only thing I truly enjoy anymore is motorcycles. When I see packs of colors and affiliations, I associate that with ...
Something bad, I can't explain it.
I've already had kick back about my vest comment. I have a vest too... It's Kevlar and has extra steel plates in it.
(That being said, I don't have a gun)
It's just I think after years of seeing the strange **** that happens at LACONIA and a twisted perception of motorcycle riding, I thought I'd throw in my two cents.
Thanks for being kind! I didn't mean to piss everyone off.
Should I assume you live in the northeast as you reference LACONIA? Not that it makes a difference for this discussion.

@Sandman 7227 "Thanks for being kind! I didn't mean to piss everyone off." I appreciate this comment. The internet is a way for some to blow off steam and for others to share common ground and/or discuss differences in a polite and respectful manner. Some prefer insults or harsh words others prefer being respectful while expressing a difference.

With that said, I do disagree with most of your comments and points, perhaps more so to the degree that we have. I think you view it as major and I view it more as minor. I will agree there are biker gangs that lean on the unlawful side during their activities and within their life style. I agree many ride Harley's and/or v-twin cruisers. I also agree that many/most wear leather vest/jackets. By the numbers of these gang members and the number of the clubs, and by their own definition they are 1 percenters. That is 1% of the clubs and/or motorcyclist across the country. That 1% has made a lot more noise than the other 99%, but that is mostly because of the media. In almost anything good in our society there are also bad and if you only have 1% bad coming from something that is 99% good, I think that is part of an acceptable portion.

The main reason I disagree with your opening thread and other comments, is you reference a vest as the key denominator which isn't true. It is the colors that bind the outlaw gangs and 1%. That color may be displayed on a vest or jacket. When you condemn all riders wearing vest and/or colors as "Something bad" because of the behavior of the 1% it isn't that much different than saying all black are bad because 1% of the blacks you hear of may be in gangs. Or like saying all whites are bad because 1% of whites that you hear of are racist.

So, I don't agree and do not feel you can make a statement, "I think we can all agree". I think you could easily state that as your opinion, but I think it would be a stretch to assume "we can all agree" that "division and hate and war are all on the plate right now. All across the world". I enjoy motorcycles and riding as it is a passion, but it is not the only thing I enjoy. I don't wear Kevlar with plates anymore, but wear a gun 99.5% of the time. I will agree there is a lot of division between Americans, but there is also a lot of common beleif and ground and despite our differences we need to share the good with the bad. Through the 63 years I have been riding, I view motorcyclist as having brought people of difference together far more than dividing them.

·
Premium Member
9,876 Posts
E6. Your last sentence.
A while ago driving in the middle of nowhere in NZ ( Wimbledon ) we came across a pub with two Harleys outside. Open invitation to stop, chat, and have a beer. Same thing in France or Spain, or England, and other places including the US. Even if we have opposing opinions on many things, we can still talk about bikes, even if they are Harleys, and even if the guys riding them look like they just lost a WWE tag team match. I suppose it helps that I am not built ( not any more ) like Sonny Bill Williams, and not really a threat. But that rarely, if hardly ever, is a factor.
The guys in Wimbledon were planning a trip to Daytona.

UK

1 - 20 of 53 Posts