Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering how people felt about synthetic materials like textile jackets compared to traditional leathers? I own both and can see the advantages to having both. The textile seems to have better wind flow for those hot days, and I know the leather most likely has better protection. How many people would buy an equally priced textile jacket over the traditional leather?

·
Registered
141 Posts
Leather is safer, has more style, but heavier, hotter, and takes more maintenance, but also takes more abuse.

I prefer leather because I think nylon looks cheap. But with the compounds their using today (kevlar etc.,) they are probably as good as I will ever need (I'm not on a race track). The one textile jacket I'm interested in is the Joe Rocket Hemp and Black Sand: http://www.leatherup.com/p/Joe-Rocket-Mens-Jackets/Joe-Rocket-Hemp-Black-Sand-Motorcycle-Jacket/94309.html.

I expect more for my money out of textile. One big problem is I think the bright colors they are using are often very tron looking. There are ways to be visible without looking like a cross country ski jockey from the 80's.

·
Registered
4,530 Posts
You just like the fact it's made out of hemp:D J/K
Textile should be ok, make sure you do some research before you buy something. Make sure it's at least 600D, 1000D is better. I put a chart somewhere in this forum...I'll see if I can find it

·
Registered
95 Posts
I only have leather and I am hot as a mofo out there (when at rest). The way I see it is I'd rather be sweaty and keep most of my skin. Although, there are very good jackets with vents and such but since sizing seems to be based on a 12 year old boy, my big ass has trouble finding a suitable jacket.

·
Take it to the track
137 Posts
Personal choice:
Textile for street
Leather for track

But I have a friend with a textile race suit that has held up to his abuse well. I am also willing to wear leather on the street. That said, I also wear one piece, or two piece zip together suits. I like my legs.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Really depends on how fast you are going!

City riding, textile. Anything above 60mph I'd be wearing leather. The main thing is, leather may survive a crash with a few scuffs. Textile will always need to be replaced, right?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts