Motorcycle Forum banner

41 - 60 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
I'm wanting to learn to work on bikes (and cars) myself. I have a 2001 Honda CB500S, and want to learn how to do basic and intermediate maintenance and repairs.

I can do the very basics; oil changes, filters changes and other fluid changes.

The most complicated vehicle repair I have done was probably replacing my exhaust on my car.

I want to learn how to do some more 'advanced' stuff, such as changing brake pads, discs, cleaning carbs etc. My bike currently needs a new set of fork stanchions, as the current ones are pitted, but I wouldn't dare attempt it. (That does seem like a hard job though.)

I know this is very general and perhaps vague, but I wanted to ask for any good resources or advice to learn. I do own a Haynes manual for my bike too. I am just a bit scared I might do more harm than good. But I do enjoy being practical, and want to save some money!

I am considering purchasing a bike in need of some care over summer, as I will have a lot more free time, I'm hoping this will be a good way to learn the ropes, as if I break something the consequences are minimal. Any ideas for bikes that could be suitable for this sort of thing? (I.e. easy to work on bikes.)

Any advice or tips will be appreciated greatly. (y)
I am not much of a mechanic, I hate lying under things, particularly on a gravel driveway.
My bike is still under warranty so it goes to the shop if there is something needing doing. Same with a newer car.
I got some experience when I was young hitting B&W or Sultzer Diesels with big hammers.
Applied brute force and ignorance.
I crashed my first bike then bought an old bike which needed TLC.
So I took it apart. Just started at the top, pulling bits off. Stripped it right back to just parts and frame. Cleaned it all up, painted it, put it back together,
Make notes label the bits and pieces and put them carefully in boxes or jars or something.
it can be really frustrating trying to figure out how things go back together again if you don’t.
Today I often take pictures with a cell phone.
I did the same with my first car.
I made mistakes, it’s how you learn.
I am a party exchanger,
The harder bit is figuring out which part needs changing.
Start with the simple stuff. Check Gas, Check battery,Check connections,
By good tools. particularly good sockets and wring spanners. cheep tools round things.

·
Registered
708 Posts
It's just another hobby for most but there are some serious collectors too. It's a "mine is bigger than yours" thing for quite a few. Bragging rights. I have more than I can actually use but my taste changes and that new gun looks like a must have suddenly. But never sell any. I made that mistake once and never again. You don't have to feed an inactive gun so it's paid for and doesn't cost anymore to keep it. So you don't start out collecting them but you might end up with a sizable collection. Just like having more motorcycles you can use. I wish I had back every motorcycle I sold. But unlike guns which take little space, space was the reason I couldn't keep all my motorcycles. So don't think of people as gun nuts, it just happens with most that they end up with several guns. It's no biggy.
I had an frickin arsenal fit for a team of mercenaries but after an accident had to liquidate it including a few thousand rounds. :(

·
Registered
Honda CB500S
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
I had an frickin arsenal fit for a team of mercenaries but after an accident had to liquidate it including a few thousand rounds. :(
I am sorry to hear about this. I hope the accident wasn't too bad. It's accidents that would worry me about owning guns.

I actually saw a video on YouTube today, apparently there are lots more guns in the UK than most people here realise. They are heavily restricted though. In England and Wales at least, it's only really shotguns and rifles you can own, and then it's only for sport. (I don't think you can even have semi-auto rifles either.) Apparently there is about one gun to ever 60 people here, although I think it's a smaller group of people who usually own multiple guns.

There are a lot of strict regulations about storing guns too, and home checks and background/character checks are carried out.

The USA's attitude to guns is still a bit of a culture shock to me. Just not something I'm really used to I suppose. I'm trying to think of something we have that might seem odd you... I know our tipping culture is very different to yours?

·
Registered
708 Posts
I am sorry to hear about this. I hope the accident wasn't too bad. It's accidents that would worry me about owning guns.

I actually saw a video on YouTube today, apparently there are lots more guns in the UK than most people here realise. They are heavily restricted though. In England and Wales at least, it's only really shotguns and rifles you can own, and then it's only for sport. (I don't think you can even have semi-auto rifles either.) Apparently there is about one gun to ever 60 people here, although I think it's a smaller group of people who usually own multiple guns.

There are a lot of strict regulations about storing guns too, and home checks and background/character checks are carried out.

The USA's attitude to guns is still a bit of a culture shock to me. Just not something I'm really used to I suppose. I'm trying to think of something we have that might seem odd you... I know our tipping culture is very different to yours?
To be clear I sold them during the recovery from a non-gun accident that broke my back and pelvis to keep rent current and such. Everything went for a profit from original investment but would be worth more now.

·
American Legion Rider & sub-Administrator
24,212 Posts

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
14,578 Posts
And don't tip because you pay the service staff a decent wage.
Do you still all take your holiday at the same time in August?
Oh and

Warm beer, cellar temp beer is not cold.

Reactions: Ollie4

·
Registered
Honda CB500S
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
And don't tip because you pay the service staff a decent wage.
Do you still all take your holiday at the same time in August?
Oh and

I found this especially hilarious because it's all completely true. We actually had a holiday planned to Spain in August this year :LOL:

I wanna go on a road trip across the states one day, maybe then I'll see what all the fuss is about with the bars...

·
14,578 Posts
And don't even get me started on asking for ice in a drink at the pub.

But

Sunday roasts at a pub are to die for.

·
Registered
Honda CB500S
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
And don't even get me started on asking for ice in a drink at the pub.

But

Sunday roasts at a pub are to die for.
Sunday roasts are the best, I'm glad you appreciate them.

Everyone will say their mum's Sunday roast is the best, but they're totally wrong... my mum's is definitely the best.

·
Registered
79 Cb750f
597 Posts
I'm assuming you're having a laugh, well hoping :ROFLMAO:
I must admit my friend, they put one of them in a city maybe 30 miles from where I live.
It replaced a traffic light.

It took maybe 6 months before the masses got used to it lol!

·
Registered
79 Cb750f
597 Posts
Here's another one you guys might not see a lot of over there Ollie.
It's not uncommon to pull into a gas (petrol?) station, and there is something like this fueling up.
Off road, mudding, is big in these here parts.

·
American Legion Rider & sub-Administrator
24,212 Posts
And what's wrong with room temperature beer? Oh, you can actually taste how good or bad it is. Good beer still tastes good at room temps. But if you are used to American beer, ya, it all tastes like barnyard animal droppings. That's why it's served cold in the first place. I don't drink beer for the alcohol, I drink it for the flavor and the true flavor comes at room temps or just barely cool. (y)

·
Registered
Honda CB500S
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #58 ·
Here's another one you guys might not see a lot of over there Ollie.
It's not uncommon to pull into a gas (petrol?) station, and there is something like this fueling up.
Off road, mudding, is big in these here parts.

View attachment 67435
I've seen a lot of videos from the states where people have pickups.

There are plenty of them here, but no where near as many as you guys seem to have.

Chevrolet's are a lot rarer here too, although my mum does actually have one.

·
14,578 Posts
Sunday roasts are the best, I'm glad you appreciate them.

Everyone will say their mum's Sunday roast is the best, but they're totally wrong... my mum's is definitely the best.

Okay I will have to try your Mum's roast next time I am in England. Where are you located? I spend a lot of time in Kent. My wife is from there, but we have relatives in Wales as well.

·
Registered
Honda CB500S
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #60 ·
Okay I will have to try your Mum's roast next time I am in England. Where are you located? I spend a lot of time in Kent. My wife is from there, but we have relatives in Wales as well.
I'm likely to be moving around over the next few years, but I'm from Nottingham in the midlands, (my mum will be staying there). So we'll have to see where I'm at when you're next about.

I've never been to Kent actually, but Wales is a great place for riding (and anything outdoors really), as is Scotland.

A couple of years ago my (now ex) gf and I went on a trip around the UK in my car, and near the end of the trip, we drove up a road (the A93) into the village of Braemar, in the Cairngorms, Scotland, it was such a beautiful road. We also camped in that valley by the river, I'd love to go for a ride up there.

Here's a picture from the top of Mount Snowdon in Wales, which we climbed on the second day of the trip! I actually spoke to a lovely gentleman at the summit who was visiting Wales from California on that day.

41 - 60 of 82 Posts