Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Zip
2,521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Before I describe what happened today, let me tell you a little about how I typically ride. I strive to always give myself 3 seconds margin between me and the vehicle ahead of me. Likewise, when I'm changing lanes I do my best to wait until I will have that 3 seconds margin ahead of me and that I also am giving the vehicle I'm passing that same 3 seconds. IOW, I don't pull over too close in front of somebody else.

Today I was riding home on the interstate, a portion with two lanes. Riding in the left lane about 10 mph over the speed limit, gradually passing a line of slower traffic. On my tail was an SUV, with another SUV on his tail. As soon as there was a small break in the traffic in the right lane the two SUVs zoomed around me on the right then zoomed back in front of me, then slammed on the brakes. Not to brake check me, but because once they stole my margin space from me they had to quickly slow down to avoid colliding with the car that had been in front of me. Duh.

Normally I would have moved into the right lane to let faster traffic get past, as soon as I had the necessary margin in the right lane. These clowns in the SUVs didn't wait for that to happen, and given how close they were riding my tail I pretty much expected them to make that kind of aggressive move.

Any thoughts on good ways to handle a situation like this?

·
American Legion Rider
25,978 Posts
That's daily jerk traffic here. Except here they would be ticked that you didn't get out of their way because they are so much more important than anyone else on the road, so might have completely stopped and got out, gone back to you, and put a gun in your face to make their point that they are just that much more important.

·
Premium Member
9,876 Posts
When I am in the lane furthest from the ditch, and a cage pulls up behind, especially if they are too close. I move to the lane to my right, let them pass, and follow them at a safe distance.
Most often I find those that are going faster, go the least distance. So usually hot rod Harry, pulls off not far down the road. Sometimes I get to follow fools that are going way to fast. This is something we do not notice, if we just let them pass and wave good bye. HRH becomes my radar detector.

UK

·
On The Road Again!
4,204 Posts
Roger, that is perfectly normal here in Jersey!
You don't dare leave much space in front of you because someone will certainly fill it in.
Nature abhors a vacuum.

·
Zip
2,521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I wish somebody would invent a stun field generator I could install in my motorcycles and cars that would give any driver a jolt in the seat of his pants if he tried to move into my margin space! I'd pay money for something like that.

Eh, maybe after (if) I retire I will have time to try to invent one.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts