Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
2021 CanAm Spyder RT
3,726 Posts
Counter steering seems anti-intuitive to the non-rider, but they do it without thinking about it when riding a bicycle. The non-rider or new rider who thinks that the handlebars turn in the direction of the bike's turning can't understand why they should press the handlebar grip in the opposite direction. When I was an MSF instructor I used to challenge the students who already were riders, but who balked at the idea of counter steering to try to turn the handlebars of their bike when riding in a straight line at 40 or more mph. They quickly realize that they cannot actually turn the handlebars but when trying end up counter steering.

Leaning the bike in a turn seems scary to new riders. Part of the problem is that their perception of the lean angle is grossly exaggerated over the real angle. They lean over 5% and think that they were leaned over almost to the point of touching a knee down. It just takes some time and experience to get used to the leaning without worrying that the bike will be sliding out from underneath you. And riders who try to take a curve solely by leaning the bike, but without counter steering will end up not making the curve or having to slow down to ridiculously slow speeds. Learning to counter steer correctly early in the process is a valuable skill for any rider.

· Registered
2021 CanAm Spyder RT
3,726 Posts
Trikes are different. The three wheel configuration totally changes the dynamics of the vehicle. Turning the handlebars at speed is not really possible. Even a slight turn would destabilize the bike and possibly bring the bike down if you actually turned the bars more than a tiny amount. Try it yourself and see what I mean. Under 30 mph does not count. Make sure your insurance is up to date.

· Registered
2021 CanAm Spyder RT
3,726 Posts
You guys can actually turn the handlebars in the direction of the curve you want to create at speeds of even 30 miles an hour(??)
My guess is that some riders THINK that they are turning the handlebars at 30 mph but are actually counter steering. Again, if you think you can turn the handlebars at that speed or higher, just GENTLY try it. The moment you try to turn right, for instance, pulling the right grip toward you, what will actually be happening is that you are counter steering to the left. Try it more vigorously and I predict you will find yourself sliding on the side of the bike leaving sparks, plastic and skin on the ground.

Reactions: gunsmoker
1 - 3 of 3 Posts