Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

· Registered
490 Posts
Best thing to do is take the Motorcycle Safety Course. They will explain and demonstrate the principle of counter-steering and why it works.
Best advice.

I also saw somewhere that you "counter steer" (turn opposite direction) just to get the bike to lean, then you turn back to the normal direction but my motorcycle DVD I got with the CHP instructions just says to counter steer the entire way, but thats cone weaving... When taking a sweeping corner you may counter steer to lean and then turn back to normal throughout the turn...
You will counter steer the entire turn. Google search "countersteering and gyroscopic effect" and you will learn a ton, and walk away more confused than ever at the same time. But no, don't try to correct the turn after you countersteer... just go with it..

I've never taken the safety course, but if you remember when you were a kid, you counter steered without even knowing it. You have much better control of your motorcycle if you stay the same position in the seat while turning OR going down the road. The more you lean your body without the bike leaning under you, the less control you have. Stay straight up in the saddle, counter steer, and let the bike lean without your having to PULL it over. If you feel the force of the turn in your butt, and you're not being pulled off the bike, then you're doing it right. Not sure I said that right, so I'll try this. If you can put a ruler up the side of your bike, and you're as straight as the ruler, then you're doing it right. When the bike leans, you go with it. (I know, I know, he's totally confused now!) :p
I will have to disagree here. Bikes don't like to turn. Fall off of one in the middle of a turn and watch what the bike does on its own and you will see what I mean. And the faster you go, the less the bike wants to turn. That is why you lead with your head and get off the bike when turning fast. Trying to stay lined up on your bike will lead to a rider running out of tire way before necessary... a couple of lowsides teach that lesson pretty quick.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts