Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Premium Member
2009 BMW R1200RT-Patrol
493 Posts
I know I am reviving a genuine antique thread, but this leaning thing, or should I say NOT leaning thing is kind-of different from what I am familiar with.

My reference point is the 1980 technology where con-brio cornering demanded the rider to slide under the low side to keep proper traction on the pavement. I see that reinforced on the race tracks, but that is not so relevant to the street.

I now understand that the tire designs are world-apart different and I might be better off to break that habit, concept and idea. If I am understanding the current thinking correctly, I am supposed to stay 'straight in the saddle' as if there is a vertical rod attaching me to the bike, lean it and me as a unit, and let the tires and bike do their thing.

· Premium Member
2009 BMW R1200RT-Patrol
493 Posts
I would be a lousy instructor. After my Dad taught me to ride a bicycle by holding my bike seat upright and trotting behind until he could let go, I have had no real instruction on two wheeled machines.

I turn by wanting to. It happens. Those instructions would be nearly useless.

I tried to consciously push on the handlebar, but it just messed me up. I found it unsafely distracting to even think about it. I quickly switched back to looking at and thinking about where I wanted to go, and simply went there.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts