Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Save them all!
4,278 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wish I had some photos for you folks, but I got out for an absolutely perfect day of riding today. I tried a new road I've wanted to do, route 118 - Sawyer Highway - then did some other of my favorite roads in the area. Bright sunshine all day, dry, perfect temperature, and the leaves were right at peak. Granted I had to dodge a few tourists here and there, but not nearly as bad as that could be.

It's a bit sad, as I know I won't get out like that again this year, and the weather is only getting colder from here - but what a day for a ride around the mountains!!

·
8,572 Posts
I did the same thing, knowing the riding season is coming to a stop around here. It was 69 degrees, which was weird as it's been about 50 every morning. 160 wonderful miles later the temp was 82+:biggrin:

This morning at the same time it's 45:frown::frown:

Sam:coffeescreen:

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
14,301 Posts
I'm getting every last day in I can. Supposed to rain today, cold front coming in, temps will drop 10-20 degrees. Will still ride if it is dry

·
Shaper Of All Things Metal
2,799 Posts
We have a good forecast for the next week or two, but definitely cool mornings in store. Hoping to get in a good ride this weekend... might have to head for the Sandhills and get into ranch country. :icon_cool:

Problem here is dealing with the heavy harvest traffic along with all the dust in the air. If you've never seen it, you cannot imagine the dust clouds produced by combines harvesting soybeans. :frown:

·
Charlie Tango Xray
768 Posts
I'm guessing last Sunday with temps in the high 70s, it was our last day of riding in summer clothing. And judging from the heavy motorcycle traffic that day, I wasn't the only one thinking the same thing. :)

·
American Legion Rider
23,527 Posts
I'm guessing last Sunday with temps in the high 70s, it was our last day of riding in summer clothing. And judging from the heavy motorcycle traffic that day, I wasn't the only one thinking the same thing. :)
Speaking of sandhills. The Sandhill cranes should be starting their migration south any time now. Usually see thousands of them each year. My neighbor dammed at small canyon or draw creating a huge lake about 3 years ago.

One of these years they'll start stopping here I'm sure. Geese found it this last spring. So it's just a matter of time. Or maybe the Whooping cranes will find it first. They migrate thru here too. I thought they where going to stop at my little pond one year around dusk but they moved on.

·
Charlie Tango Xray
768 Posts
Speaking of sandhills. The Sandhill cranes should be starting their migration south any time now. Usually see thousands of them each year. My neighbor dammed at small canyon or draw creating a huge lake about 3 years ago.

One of these years they'll start stopping here I'm sure. Geese found it this last spring. So it's just a matter of time. Or maybe the Whooping cranes will find it first. They migrate thru here too. I thought they where going to stop at my little pond one year around dusk but they moved on.
The sandhill pair that reside at our pond are still here, but it looks like they might be thinking about heading out. Last weekend though the birds were congregating in the trees outside our house like a scene from "The Birds" movie. Thousands of birds flying in and out of the trees, making such a racket, the dogs wouldn't even go outside.:eek:

·
Visionary
4,614 Posts
The weather the last few months here in NJ and PA has been great, and I've been taking advantage of it, riding into work almost very day and on the weekends too.
Most days have been dry, a few showers but on the whole good riding weather. The last few weeks the chill in the mornings has been quite dramatic though, it was 39f the other day at 4 Am when I left home , though at 3pm when I left for home it was 79F. A lot of variation there, it doesn't help that I work in one climate and live in another. Iv'e been doing a lot of zipping linings in and out and wearing 2 different pairs of gloves a day.
I hope the fall lasts and lasts, I am going to really hate having to park it once the snow flies...

·
Registered
3,160 Posts
Any day is perfect as long as the temps are 20 F or better, light wind, and there is no salt on the roads. Windshield is all I need for cold weather.

I do not expect anyone else to enjoy those conditions, but I certainly do.

·
American Legion Rider
23,527 Posts
Yeah, that's getting a little nippy. Even with all my electronic heaters.:D

·
Registered
3,742 Posts
This past Sunday was magnificent, and as already noted by someone else, every motorcycle in northern Illinois and southern Wisconsin seemed to be on the road. Riding up to Mt. Horeb, near Madison, for lunch then on to the county roads of Iowa County to the west of Mt. Horeb was almost a perfect riding day. At times the wind was pretty strong, but other than that it was great. Today the sun is out, its 50 degrees, and I hope to get out for a ride. But its just not the same when I have to put on a lined jacket, heavy gloves and a full face helmet. Better than not riding, but not a "wind in my face and sun on my back" type day.

·
Charlie Tango Xray
768 Posts
This past Sunday was magnificent, and as already noted by someone else, every motorcycle in northern Illinois and southern Wisconsin seemed to be on the road. Riding up to Mt. Horeb, near Madison, for lunch then on to the county roads of Iowa County to the west of Mt. Horeb was almost a perfect riding day. At times the wind was pretty strong, but other than that it was great. Today the sun is out, its 50 degrees, and I hope to get out for a ride. But its just not the same when I have to put on a lined jacket, heavy gloves and a full face helmet. Better than not riding, but not a "wind in my face and sun on my back" type day.
Small world.:) Sunday we stopped at the Duluth Trading in Mt Horeb. Then rode back down To New Glarus to eat, but the whole place was packed. I've never seen that many bikes in town before. So we rode out to Mineral Point for lunch. Then it was all the ATV guys.:confused:
A picture perfect day of riding.
:71baldboy:

·
Registered
3,742 Posts
If you haven't explored the county roads in Iowa county, you are truly missing something special. I like to leave Mr. Horeb heading west, then pick up county K and go north. Take a left at HH and go through some amazing country and great riding. When HH ends, you can go right on H and go north up to the main road, or take a left and then pick up County T which will take you back to about where you started. Everyone that goes on these roads tells me that they couldn't believe they were still in Wisconsin. Lunch at the Grumpy Troll in Mt. Horeb is worth a stop.

·
Female Rider
9,311 Posts
I think at least 1/2 of the bikes within 50 miles on either side of the Mississippi were on the Great River Road. I really wish we would have been on our bikes with them. Instead we were in our car.

To all of you that were out riding I hope you had a wonderful day!!!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts