Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4,997 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am considering selling my bike and replacing it with a sport-touring bike. I regularly see early-2000's Kawasaki Concours in the $2500-$3500 range, so l could essentially sell my bike and buy one. Has anyone ever had one of these or ridden one? Why is their resale value so much less than the Honda ST1100/1300?

·
Troublemaker
2,517 Posts
I rode a 2005 for a month as a loaner while my 109 was in the shop. It was a good running bike that would easily do just about anything I wanted it to do. The only problem I had was whoever owned it before had put braided steel cables and brake lines on it and they vibrated on the right handle so bad my hand would go numb in just a matter of minutes. The only way I could ride it any distance was to wear heavily padded gloves. I put about 2500 miles on it and the only thing I think I would have added to it would have been highway pegs because I just couldn't get used to having my feet so far back all the time. The radiator fan seemed to run a lot and was noisy, but it wasn't anything I couldn't live with. The plastic made some noise too, but I expected that since there was so much of it. It needed the 7.5 gallon tank too if you were going to ride very far.

Would I buy one myself? I doubt it, but I have been looking at the 1400 some.

·
Registered
4,997 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Good to know. In general, would you say that bike was in disrepair, or did you more get the feeling like those were tendencies of that model?

·
Troublemaker
2,517 Posts
I don't think there was anything wrong with the bike, there was no evidence of any damage, all the plastic and paint was perfect. It only had 20,000 miles on it so it wasn't wore out.

It was the only Connie I have ever ridden so I can't tell if it was normal or not. A friend of mine has one the same year and he has over 100,000 miles on it, has never had a problem with it that I know of. He also doesn't have the vibration, at least he told me he didn't, plus he doesn't have the steel lines. He does say that the headlight leaves a lot to be desired, but I don't remember that being an issue for me.

The only thing I could not live with was the vibration in the right grip. The throttle cables go through a guide right at the top front of the engine. I was thinking of putting a rubber bushing in there to see if that would help, but they got my bike finished before I got it done.

Also, being used to a v twin, I wasn't used to the high revving inline 4. It had plenty of power and I did try it out a few times. The speedometer needle had no problem getting into the triple digits either.

If you can find one cheap, it is worth it in my opinion.

·
8,572 Posts
I had a brand new 2003, in candy apple red:biggrin:

The bike is a commuter and touring dream because of the following: Large gas tank as I recall, almost 7 gallons @ 40+ mpg. Sweet, powerful engine and a smooth shifting 6 speed trans. The bike had tons of torque, no matter what gear or speed. A proven shaft drive---no chain to oil or maintain. Excellent windshield and ergonomics, with a comfortable seat.

The things I didn't like was the riders footpegs being to high. I bought and installed footpeg lowering brackets. The bike at a standstill felt heavy, like there wasn't enough air pressure in the front tire and at parking lot speeds up, it was fine.

At the time and for the money, to me it was the best bargain out there.

For some reason the Concours has a terrible resale value????

You will have a paradigm shift when you run the Concours through the gears as the bike is FAST:biggrin:

Sam:coffeescreen:

·
Charlie Tango Xray
768 Posts
One of the guys I ride with, (a die hard sport touring guy) had an older one for years. He loved it so much that when it came time to replace it he bought a new one in the same color. But he'd be the first one to point out it's more suited for open road use than to putt around town. I think he even laid it over a few times trying to turn it around in tight areas that us guys riding on smaller bikes had no problems. Last I heard his latest girlfriend has been trying to get him to buy a cruiser type bike because she's "not crazy about riding on Connie.";)

·
Registered
2,637 Posts
Hawk, part of the reason for the price is that Sport Tours hit a loss in popularity with adventure bikes being all the rage. I loved my sport tour when I had it and sometimes wish I had it back (but not often since the explorer is so darn much fun) I've ridden a Concours and found it to be a bit more top heavy that my Sprint was and it didn't handle quite as well, but still a very nice ride.

·
Registered
4,997 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I spent a lot of time reading on their owners website last night, and came away with mixed feelings. While people have a lot of good to say about them, they also had a lot of not-so-great things to say as well. Mainly, they are top heavy, everyone drops them once in a while, even the experienced riders, they require a lot of fiddling to get the vibrations down, just lots of little nagging nuisance type stuff. That is the kind of stuff that drives me nuts, to be honest.

I also read about the FJR. People had glowing reviews about it. Most everyone said it wasn't perfect in any one area but did everything very well. This sounds more like my kind of machine. Yeah, l need to sock away a couple grand for it. I'm thinking it will be worth it.

So, that being said...who has ridden an FJR?

·
Gone
23,907 Posts
I haven't heard of a FJR owner that didn't love the bike. They are very quick as well, being in the same class as the Kawasaki.

·
8,572 Posts
I've heard they are terrible in hot weather:confused:

Sam:biggrin:

·
Registered
4,997 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I see,,,so essentially, the engine and radiator are trapped and the only way out for the heat is to go through the rider?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts