Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yup this is it folks today (Sept 22) is last day of summer at least here in North America.

Any regrets or celebrations of the season? We got in some great riding thru the summer, mostly trouble-free too. I'm especially proud of my wife this is her 1st year with a full "M" motorcycle license & she piled up over 12,000 kilometers on her new Indian Scout. She's hoping to get up to ~15-16k before riding season ends.

How 'bout you? Did this summer seem short, long, or about right?

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
We had a great year for riding up here, though we really do need the rain. I hope we don't make up for it in snow. This summer seemed to go by too quick. Can't believe it's time to start worrying about buttoning up ship for winter.....Hate the snow, but all my family is here, can't even imagine leaving them

·
8,606 Posts
It seemed like a quick summer for me also---but then again, I can't ride much anyway as I work at least 50 hours per week and sometimes much more.

My last touring ride was in early October 2012, when I rode my new Goldwing to Ooltewah, TN and back and put about 2,000 miles on her.

We can still ride comfortably here until the end of October and sometimes later. without dressing like the Pillsbury doughboy, which a Fat guy like me doesn't need to do as I'm well known in the area:biggrin:

Sam:p

·
A legend in his own mind
2,600 Posts
It's been mostly a good riding season here too, more rain than I would have liked, but that was only at night it seemed, and mostly during my ride times to and from work on third shift. :mad:
Fall is an awesome time for a motorcycle color tour, perfect temps all day usually.
I like the snow too. I don't mind driving in it at all and I love to go sledding with my kids. This year I get to start sledding with the oldest two of my grandchildren :biggrin:...and don't get me started about snowmobiles ;)

·
American Legion Rider
23,631 Posts
Y'all will think I'm crazy but this has been one of the best seasons since we did actually get rain several times this summer. I've still got green grass for grazing so it's been great. Rain doesn't stop me from riding. But I can do without the hail I sometimes get though.:D

·
American Legion Rider
23,631 Posts
Same here. We are out of the 100's now. What's not to like about that.:D

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
14,359 Posts
Soon I will be cursing you southern boys still riding.

·
Driftless Rider
1,540 Posts
I love fall riding. Colors will be popping soon and fewer bugs is always nice. And the cooler temps really seem to make the bike run great.
I usually ride into mid/late-October while I slowly change into hunting/hiking mode.

That being said, I do think this summer went pretty quick. I know everyone says that this time of year, but with cool temps and wet weather through June this year it was a shorter season. I'll be lucky to add much more than 5000 miles on the scoot

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
I already miss summer :frown: .... :)

It was a another great year and still not over. Planning and preparing for rides helps me get through winter.

·
Pegasus trapped in a human body on a motorcycle
9,208 Posts
Winter is why I bought the Ural. Snow wont slow me down, much. I get the heated grips installed in a couple weeks.
lol Slow down anywhere near "much" on a Ural means coming to a complete stop! (just kidding) I have to admit, a Ural is one of them machines that seems unstoppable. I've seen a guy riding one in the middle of a freakin Nor'Easter once. Big plow trucks and skidders were goin off the road, and that Ural handled it all like it was a nice, summer day. (The owner, I found out) had those studded ice racing tires on all three tires. With the sidecar locked into gear, it was unstoppable.)

·
Driftless Rider
1,540 Posts
I did a test ride of a Ural Gear-up a few years back. I was cool, and would be fun to pack it full of camping gear and disappear into the northwoods for a few weeks.
Although the salesman did mention that "prospective owners should know their way around a tool kit and have a good idea on which way to turn a wrench." When I asked if that meant they had reliability issues, he simply replied, "The good news is that they are basic and easy to work on."

·
Registered
282 Posts
m sorry to see the summer go but The Fall is a great time to ride but this has been a great summer as I got married this past August

1 - 20 of 23 Posts