Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
ZAMM Fanatic
2,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://www.autoevolution.com/news/b...eadlights-for-bikes-photo-gallery-103451.html

>The BMW Laser Light offers a range that is far superior to the existing headlights. These light modules can achieve a range of up to 600 meters (2,000 feet), twice the range of current headlights.

The pure white light can be directed very precisely, so the risk of blinding incoming drivers or riders is reduced. BMW also says that the laser modules come with no maintenance and a long life, while consuming less energy, too.

Light is generated by projecting a laser beam onto a surface covered with a fluorescent phosphorus compound, which emits a bright, white daylight-like light. The modules for cars are also 10 times lighter than their LED counterparts, and this means that bikes equipped with such headlights will also benefit from the weight reduction.

·
American Legion Rider
23,521 Posts
I'd actually be surprised if they can get them approved for use in the USA. At least not until other countries have had them for several years. This country lags way behind when it comes to true safety improvements like lighting up where you are going. Look how long it's taken to get LED's here.

·
Registered
886 Posts
Headlights that project a beam two thousand feet? Are you sure about that? There is no way you won't blind other drivers, light up peoples bedrooms, living rooms, their whole house. I could believe a three to four hundred feet or so, any more would be excessive. I think I have met a few of the new high power headlights on the road(not BMW bikes, maybe one of their cars) that seemed like they were set on blind, that didn't bother me until around one hundred or so feet.

·
American Legion Rider
23,521 Posts
Headlights that project a beam two thousand feet? Are you sure about that? There is no way you won't blind other drivers, light up peoples bedrooms, living rooms, their whole house. I could believe a three to four hundred feet or so, any more would be excessive. I think I have met a few of the new high power headlights on the road(not BMW bikes, maybe one of their cars) that seemed like they were set on blind, that didn't bother me until around one hundred or so feet.
Do laser pointers blind everyone or just the one they are pointed at? I think that's the kind of focus they are talking about. There is some light escaping outside the focus area but not the blinding part and not very much.

I would be more concerned with how you light up corners you are going around. Even LED's have this problem where they continue to light up directly in front and not where you are needing to go.

I could be totally wrong too. Motorcycle Consumer News had an article on them a few months ago if you can find some back issues.

·
It's all fun and games until someone loses an eye
8,665 Posts
Many headlamp replacements are becoming almost as expensive as brake jobs, some even more. I'm ok with sticking to Halogen.

·
Registered
886 Posts
My point is that in the original post by Wade Nelson he states that the new headlights project 2000 feet, that is 666.66666 yards, over six and one half football fields. How are you not going to blind someone whether going around a corner or lighting up a house only a few hundred feet ahead of you inadvertently? Headlights on new cars and bikes, whether halogen or whatever are getting brighter, that is a god thing for visibility by the driver or being seen by others if on a bike. I don't think any country would allow headlights that have that much power to be on the road, police spotlights on their cars don't project a beam that powerful. I know because I was at a darkened dog park with my dogs one night when a local Deputy Dog came along and the beam only lit up around 200' or so, it is a several acre field and I was at least 300' or so away from said Deputy and they didn't see me and went on his way(and no, there was no illegal activity on my part). Ok, just went back and read the link put in with the claims of 600 meters by BMW or the reporter in the article, still sounds like the International Space Station would be able to see that.

·
ZAMM Fanatic
2,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I merely quoted the article.

My problem with blue-white HID's are the side lobes. You get these bright spots at certain angles that you don't get with halogens. Blindingly bright. Especially the HID's coming out on 18 wheelers.

Laser lamps aren't going to create side lobes.

I don't care if it's a white laser or a red one, something that would illuminate a deer or debris in the roadway 1000' down the road would be very helpful at night.

Honestly, I don't think ANY light is bright enough to ride a motorcycle at night. A black tire carcass on a black asphalt roadway is damn near invisible, yet more than sufficient to knock a rider down.

Consequently I minimize riding at night.

·
Veteran Member
3,275 Posts
I read that as you want lasers that can eliminate deer or debris in the road, and I was thinking I'm totally in onboard with that. ;)

·
8,572 Posts
I'm getting old enough now that I'm irritated with most normal low beam lights:biggrin:

Any low beam becomes a 'high' beam when it lifts up as in crossing an elevated bridge and can still half blind a person.

Most country Bumpkins around here play a game to see which driver will switch from high to low beam first. Last guy wins.

Another thing that I see every morning as I drive to work before the Sun is fully up, is BUBBA driving his Farm Pick-em-up, fancy bale spear rig without lights on at all. At night, the headlights won't even be turned on until it is absolutely dark: "Gotta save the life of my BUBS," they say. BUBS being bulbs.

Maybe 10% actually have functioning tail lights or turn indicators.

Any 3/4 ton pickup only need 1 license plate. A "Farm" truck doesn't need any license plates as long as it doesn't exceed 10-15 miles from the Farm.

Lets do it this way: Night vision windshields and heads up displays and then eliminate those ol' headlights!:biggrin:

Sam:coffeescreen:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts