Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,909 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Laramie is a mint 1980 XS1100 that I inherited from dearly departed Larry. I already had Yami an XS11.
Last week I removed all the spark plugs and pored a fair amount of oil in each cylinder. Put fresh gas in the tank, checked the oil level, installed the battery from Yami and cranked it over. Had spark, so I put the plugs back in and pressed the button. There were sputtering sounds, and gas entering the air filter box.

I removed the air filter box and the four carburetors. Last couple of days I cleaned the carbs and adjusted the float levels. Put the carbs back on today without the air filter box. Checked the oil again, Yami battery in again, crank crank crank, sputter sputter and lift off. At first any throttle would kill the engine. Lots of smoke from the oil I pored in, and spilled some. After a while I was able to give him a little throttle. But one cylinder is not firing.

I shut him down and parked him. I need brake pad and kits, front master cylinder repair, pet **** kits, clutch cable and fresh oil everywhere.

I fired up my winter bike the XS400. I am almost four for four, running properly. Laramie will be the summer cruiser, so no rush with fixing and polishing.

Yami and Inder the sidecar will join up tomorrow.

Bluzu the Suzuki, has two months to go for insurance, then his plate goes on Deep Purple the XS400.

If it is a nasty winter I may insure the cage I inherited from Larry. It is a 006 Dodge Caravan.
Photos when I get a few moments spare time. There is a lot to do when you do not have a job.

Unkle Crusty*

·
Premium Member
8,909 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Sitting

Did not mention. When I asked Larry how long Laramie had been sitting, he could not remember. I asked if it was ten years, and he said much longer than that.
Bike has about 20,000 miles on it, but there is evidence of a bit of rough wrenching. There appears to be a heli coil in one plug hole. A couple of the screws holding on the float bowls have wear signs on the heads. One float bowl pin had raised areas from a fine punch. The kind of trick you use to hold an outer bearing race on your old boat trailer.

The battery is made in China. Not sure how long we have been getting batteries from there. It is toast.

Unkle Crusty*

·
Gone.
17,857 Posts
That sounds real good! Not much to do, (relatively speaking,) to bring a bike that's been sitting that long back to life. Cool beans.

I like the name to. Laramie. Sounds like Larrry n me.:71baldboy:

·
8,572 Posts
Unless someone messed with the carbs, the floats will never, ever need to be adjusted.

I had a brand new 1981 XS1100 myself and it had sat for about 3 months one time and of course the carbs were all gummed up. I took the carbs off, cleaned them thoroughly and the bike ran perfect. The trouble with those CV carbs is the "Secondary" circuit has extremely small orifice holes that can easily plug up: If it idles okay-sorta- and runs full throttle, but doesn't in the mid range, this is the problem- probably.

I had a new 1997 Suzuki Bandit 1200S that had the same problem and I really didn't want to go through taking the carbs apart, so I bought a bottle of Chevron "Techron" and put maybe half a can in the bike and rode it for maybe 100 miles on country roads, avoiding the 'mid-range' as much as possible, reving it to the max and downshifting at high rpm's to force the engine to 'suck' large quantities of air and after that ride, it ran perfectly.

This is why I loved having a Harley Davidson, with it's one carb. A child could take it apart if need be, blindfolded and put it back together in 10 minutes! Change an air filter in less time than it took to think about changing one in a Goldwing:biggrin:

I love the XS1100 series!

Sam:coffeescreen:

·
Premium Member
8,909 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
CV carbs.

I really like the old style carbs for working on. One or more of the float bowls was sticking, and two were not closing properly. Someone had been inside these carbs. I hear you about the small jets. These CV carbs are weird IMO. Yami the XS11 runs real sweet, but is not as clean as Laramie.
Once I get four plugs firing reliably I will see how it runs. Can not ride it until I get the brakes working. Probably be next spring before a road test.

The carbs are easy enough to remove, if the air box is off. But it seems the air box needs to go in first and then the carbs. As in, the air box will not go in and out with the carbs in place. Unless there is a trick to it. Replacing the air filter is also a pain. I will study it some more.

If I ever fire up the midnight special, it will have four pod filters on it.

Pictures of Laramie will bring back some memories for you.

Unkle Crusty*

·
Premium Member
8,909 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Manual

Had a look in the mint genuine Yamaha manual today. Zero info on how to remove the rear brake. Found receipts for pilot jets, fuel tap gaskets, battery and fork seal. And some hand written notes by Larry. All dated 1998. Probably the last year Laramie ran. Larry kept all receipts for everything, and was very methodical.
It surprises me they had the serial number wrong for so many years. I took a photo of the number and we corrected it when we transferred the bike into my name.
Going to check the spark, and fire him up again tomorrow. Plug gaps are too wide, will fix.

Unkle Crusty*

·
Premium Member
8,909 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
More Laramie

Have all the brakes off and apart. Found the front master cylinder kit. Rear master cylinder is working.
Have spark on all four plugs. BUT. Compression is 95 135 137 100 left to right. Book says 142 is normal, 156 is max and 128 is minimum. Have not done an oil in hole test yet, need a new squirt oil can.
On my old 4 stroke race bike, 180 was minimum if I remember correctly.
Next week I will check the compression on Yami for a comparison.

Meanwhile I better pick up a couple of cans of compression. I really do not want to tear down the engine.

Unkle Crusty*

·
Gone.
17,857 Posts
I know Dickle about your bike, but on my type, if it's been sitting for awhile, compression numbers like that aren't anything to worry about. If I squirt the oil into the cylinder and the numbers come up, then go make lunch and take the dog for a walk, and the numbers are still at least half-way up: Good to go.

I hope yours is also of the same mind.:thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
8,909 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Oil in the hole.

Next week I will squirt some more oil in the holes. I am thinking it is probably not the rings. Would seem weird for two cylinders to be okay and two not. So I am more inclined to think two or more valves may not be sealing, possibly due to being out of adjustment. If Laramie decides to run fairly well, I will ignore the problem for a while. Then again, I suppose some rings could be stuck to their pistons.
More oil and more beer is probably a good plan for now. Not going anywhere until I get the brakes back together. Next spring is still the planned launch date.

Unkle Crusty*

·
Premium Member
8,909 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Run it.

Just got a reply from the XS11 site. Lot of knowledge about these bikes over there. Ray said ignore it and run it for 400 miles, then check compression.
I can do that.

Unkle Crusty*

1 - 11 of 11 Posts