Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
467 Posts
Sorry, but the videos appear to be broken. I don't think you put them into the bb code right. You need to remove everything before the slash.

·
Ghost in the machine
2,857 Posts
Who the he11 knows! He could have just been feeling sick and needed to throw up. I sure wouldn't consider it "attempted murder" as your vid title asks. What I did see (in the short video) is that you kept going. To me that would be considered "fleeing the scene of an accident".

·
Ghost in the machine
2,857 Posts
I had to stabilize control, and then pulled over to the shoulder when it was safe and legal. I just didn't put that whole part in there. In California, you're required to pull over to right shoulder in a minor accident. It's also not fleeing the scene as I pulled over and called CHP and they're in possession of the video.
The video doesn't show that. So we have to take your word for it. My point is that you are asking us to judge the intent of another based on a less than 10 second video. To what purpose? The law and the insurance company have already made their decision. So why does our OPINION matter?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The video doesn't show that. So we have to take your word for it. My point is that you are asking us to judge the intent of another based on a less than 10 second video. To what purpose? The law and the insurance company have already made their decision. So why does our OPINION matter?
And why do you have to be a prick? The CHP and insurance said I wasn't at fault for the damages. This, from what I can tell, is a forum to discuss motorcycle related questions. It hasn't been decided if the intent was there to harm someone yet. How many other seconds do you want to review? There is no need to be a prick here.

Here's more than 10 seconds for you:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_PUM...tion_159507389

·
Troublemaker
2,517 Posts
Live dangerously and bad things will eventually happen. Right is right, but dead is permanent. Just because it's legal does not mean it is an intelligent decision. You are very lucky that you weren't hurt, be thankful for that. Just because someone does something stupid does not mean that you can disregard your own safety.

So, what are you trying to do here. If everyone says that you are not at fault, what does it matter?

Glad you survived, next time you may not be so lucky.

·
American Legion Rider
23,543 Posts
What 10 second video? Is this another phone app post that doesn't work well on a desktop computer? All I see is a youtube link and all I get with it is....This video does not exist. Looks like ya'll are have a fight just between a select few.:confused::confused::confused:

·
Subversive
416 Posts
I don't think it's legal here but I never did that even when I was a crazy kid... I just can't put my safety (and bike) so plainly in the hands and doors of dozens of crazed cage drivers...

·
Registered
210 Posts
Still no video to watch.

But maybe this is why lane splitting is illegal in 49 states.

Cars have doors which open, give them a wide berth. Ditto for bicyclists.

·
Registered
5,002 Posts
I watched the video. there was nothing in it that suggests anything other than a door was opened from a non-moving vehicle.

Yeah, your bike got dinged and you're pissed. Everyone knows this can happen when lane-splitting. My suggestion is to get over it.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I watched the video. there was nothing in it that suggests anything other than a door was opened from a non-moving vehicle.

Yeah, your bike got dinged and you're pissed. Everyone knows this can happen when lane-splitting. My suggestion is to get over it.
Opening the door into traffic is against the law:
CVC 22517. No person shall open the door of a vehicle on the side available to moving traffic unless it is reasonably safe to do so and can be done without interfering with the movement of such traffic, nor shall any person leave a door open on the side of a vehicle available to moving traffic for a period of time longer than necessary to load or unload passengers.​
You don't know anything about lane splitting, so you don't know what "everyone knows". Vehicle occupants DO NOT open doors on a freeway into a traffic lane. In fact, the most plausible reason for the occurrence in this video is that the person was intentionally interfering with the lane splitter. If true, it might warrant a criminal charge against that person, if not the driver of the vehicle. That's why I asked the OP what CHP's response was.

It's a little hard to believe that you're telling a fellow motorcyclist, who may been intentionally assaulted, to "get over it".

·
Registered
5,002 Posts
Opening the door into traffic is against the law:
CVC 22517. No person shall open the door of a vehicle on the side available to moving traffic unless it is reasonably safe to do so and can be done without interfering with the movement of such traffic, nor shall any person leave a door open on the side of a vehicle available to moving traffic for a period of time longer than necessary to load or unload passengers.​
You don't know anything about lane splitting, so you don't know what "everyone knows". Vehicle occupants DO NOT open doors on a freeway into a traffic lane. In fact, the most plausible reason for the occurrence in this video is that the person was intentionally interfering with the lane splitter. If true, it might warrant a criminal charge against that person, if not the driver of the vehicle. That's why I asked the OP what CHP's response was.

It's a little hard to believe that you're telling a fellow motorcyclist, who may been intentionally assaulted, to "get over it".
It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out where lane splitting is concerned that there will be instances where someone opens the door while a motorcycle is riding by, causing a collision. I mean, after all, there are some 20 million cars there. The fact that it is illegal does nothing to prove intent.

Are the California highways that hostile of a place that you would automatically assume that the most plausible reason for opening a door while sitting at a standstill in rush hour traffic is to purposely hit a bike that is coming along?

To me, lane splitting and expecting that everyone will see you coming and be respectful of that is no different than me riding along and expecting that everyone will see me on my bike. You guys have completely forgotten the #1 rule, that you need to ride like you are invisible. The fact that you not only expect to be seen, but go so far as to suggest that the most likely scenario when hit by a vehicle is that, not only did the person in the car see you, but went out of their way to hit you on purpose, shows just how far outside the standard motorcycling bell curve you have drifted.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts