Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
3,750 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just looking at the website of landinggear.com. I'm thinking about a new touring bike this spring, but honestly have a bit of concern in moving from my current ride at 750 pounds to something over 900 pounds. I'll be 73 this Spring so I think that at some point it might just be too much to handle such a heavy bike, but going to a trike of any sort is not appealing to me. So I was looking at this product as a possible long term solution.

I'm wondering if anyone on this forum has experience with this or a related product. At $3,500 plus whatever the cost of installation, it would be a costly error if this is not really as good as it appears to be.

·
The 43rd Poser
440 Posts
That's a lot of coin.

If you already had a dresser, and it was getting heavy, I'd say probably worth it.

Going from what to which? My 800 lb Harley Ultra Limited feels light, very well balanced. A friends lighter VL1500 feels heavier.

When I get to the point I don't think I can handle my HD Limited, I'll likely look to a trike.

·
American Legion Rider
23,605 Posts
Every now and then I spot a used landing gear for sale and they are around $1500 which is much better to gamble with. But I still think going that route is a good way to go. Might not have to go trike that way is my thinking. So if that's true then $3500 is a bargain. I don't know of anyone that has one to ask though. So either they are great so you don't hear complaints or people are ashamed to admit they use it. I won't be if I get one but I'm not quite there yet and not sure they even fit a Indian.

·
Registered
3,750 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Right now I ride a Triumph Thunderbird, and have no trouble handling this big bagger. But I keep thinking that at 72 right now, if I buy a new bike again it will likely be my last bike. I'd like to think that I will both survive and be able to ride a motorcycle until I'm at least 85, but a part of me says I should be more realistic. I've met a lot more folks who quit riding in their 60's than who are still riding in their 80's.

I really do not like the thought of getting a trike. For those who go that route, great for them. But to me it seems to give up most of what makes a motorcycle fun to ride without getting the advantages of a four wheel vehicle. Maybe the CanAm Spyder would work for me, but that is still something to just think about for the future.

The allure of the Landing Gear is that I could feel comfortable buying a bike even heavier than what I have, and then if and when it starts to get too big for me to handle as I age, or incur some other injury or condition, I could still ride it using this stabilizing device. What it doesn't solve is the issue of finding myself parked on a slight downward slope. Even my current bike is more than a handful trying to back up a slope (I once had to ask my wife to give me some extra help to do it). Getting a Goldwing with a reverse gear, and adding the Landing Gear would seem to ensure that I could keep riding, and doing so in comfort, for many years to come.

The other factor on my mind of course is cost. Even with a good trade-in, getting a new Goldwing and adding the Landing Gear is probably about a $25,000 expense. Part of me says go for it, you only live once. Part of me says stick with my Thunderbird and save the $25K for the future. Decisions, decisions.

·
8,592 Posts
A friend of mine at Church has the landinggear on his 2010 Goldwing and both he and his wife really like it.

Most people don't even notice that it is attached to the bike until it is pointed out.

Sam:biggrin:

·
Hero of Legend
1,208 Posts
I remember seeing the stuff advertised in a youtube video, but I have no experience with them, personally. But from what I saw, it looks like it should be pretty good stuff.

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
They don't seem to have a system for the Thunderbird, yet. That'd be my recommendation, spend the money and install it on the Triumph - that way you'd only be $3000, less your e-Bay disposal price, out of pocket.

As I've got older I've moved to a lighter bike, the Boulevard M50 is only 269 kg / 593 lb, the Honda ST1100 was something like 300 kg / 660 lb. Main thing is I'm riding a bike now where I can put my feet down flat when I stop.

And I always walk my bike back into a sloping parking place, much easier to ride out than push it out backwards. As well, then the sidestand is up the slope and the weight of the bike is towards the back, I don't like having my sidestand down the slope with the weight directed towards it.

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
What about a Sidecar Vito??
I am 65, thinking maybe that's what I will end up doing someday.
Dont really want a 3 wheeler/trike....Now I could probably get into a Vintage HD Servicar. Please post what you decide to do and if yo do the Landing Gear thing please post some pics and how you like it.
Good Luck
Ed

·
Premium Member
5,643 Posts
If they made one for my Valkyrie, I'd already own one, if only for when I pull my camping trailer. I'm only 66, but my 900lb Phat Gurl is about all I can handle; add the trailer, and picking a parking spot is a lot more important.

·
Troublemaker
2,517 Posts
I'm always the pessimist when it comes to stuff like this. I know that it will probably work great every time it was needed, but what about that first time it didn't, and you were not ready for it? I will probably go to a trike or Spider if I get that far.

The wife is considering a Spyder now that her hip is getting too bad to swing a leg over her Raider without a lot of pain.

·
8,592 Posts
Do you know that the top of the line Spyder RT is approaching $30,000;)

Of course, that is the one I really like. It is as feature packed and luxurious as a new Goldwing or Electra Glide and just as comfortable.

I belong to Spyder, Sidecar and Trike forums and all of these vehicles are a viable means for an older and/ or disabled rider to greatly extend this wonderful experience for many, many years.:)

Bring lots of money and get in line because right now with the aging biker population, these vehicles are selling quickly.

Full size trike kits are available for lots of popular bikes and of course sidecars are too. Trike kits run from about 10 to $12,000+ installed on your bike and sidecars are a little cheaper but not much for the good ones. 3 month waiting periods are quite common from order to completion.

So many choices, so little money:p

Sam:biggrin:

·
American Legion Rider
23,605 Posts
I'm always the pessimist when it comes to stuff like this. I know that it will probably work great every time it was needed, but what about that first time it didn't, and you were not ready for it? I will probably go to a trike or Spider if I get that far.

The wife is considering a Spyder now that her hip is getting too bad to swing a leg over her Raider without a lot of pain.
She's still going to have to swing her leg over the seat. But the F3 is a little lower than the original version. But they make an aftermarket full floorboard that does help with the original though. Just not sure it will help enough though. The factory mini-floorboard I don't think will. But give it a try. Try to find someone that has the full one called Sealboards I believe. Or something like that.

·
Hero of Legend
1,208 Posts
Problem there, is that you're not going to get away from that particular problem on anything that doesn't have bucket / bench seats. Any straddler is going to have that problem for her. Sure, maybe some to a lesser degree, but a "bad hip" usually just gets progressively worse, as time goes on. So it seems at best you're just delaying the inevitable, whatever you do. And possibly not even long enough to justify the money spent to do it. As sad as that is to say.

If you're going to spend any kind of money for the effort, I'd suggest first looking into the possibility for hip replacement, before simply buying a new ride. Might work out better / cheaper in the long run, if it's a viable option.

·
Aging & Worn
4,516 Posts
Other than a "side car" as has been mentioned, or considering a three-wheel bike, I remember an elderly gentleman, who showed up at a bike show with hydraulic lifters under his Goldwing, that like an Indy Car, jacked up his bike in a center-stand like setup, by the push of a button on his handlebars. Is THAT what you mean by "Landing Gear?"

-Soupy

·
American Legion Rider
23,605 Posts
Other than a "side car" as has been mentioned, or considering a three-wheel bike, I remember an elderly gentleman, who showed up at a bike show with hydraulic lifters under his Goldwing, that like an Indy Car, jacked up his bike in a center-stand like setup, by the push of a button on his handlebars. Is THAT what you mean by "Landing Gear?"

-Soupy
Not exactly. More like temporary stabilizers. Landing Gear

·
Hero of Legend
1,208 Posts

-Soupy
Here ya go.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zbW7wlb9FM0

·
Registered
3,750 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I thought about a side car, but that totally changes how the vehicle rides and steers. I like the leaning that a motorcycle uses to change direction, rather than having to muscle the front wheel into a right or left turn which would be required with a traditional trike or a bike with a sidecar. The LandingGear device lets you still have a traditional motorcycle, but adds the two outrigger type wheels at very slow speeds. I guess it would allow you to keep your feet on the pegs or floorboards all of the time but my guess is that I would still put a foot down at a stop after having done so for over 30 years of riding.

When I think about a top of the line Goldwing, plus the LandingGear (which I found out can be installed at the factory for $400) the cost is getting right up to that $30,000 mark, about the same as the top of the line CanAm ( or a new Subaru Outback for that matter). I guess I need to decide if my money needs to last me only until I reach about 80, or if I have to plan on being around for longer than that!

·
Aging & Worn
4,516 Posts
The landing gear you provided links to, remind me of Training Wheels!! (lol)

-Soupy

1 - 20 of 27 Posts