Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey, Im in the market for some really good and durable lace up leather motorcycle boots, but cant seem to find much information on good brands and products. I dont have enough posts to post a link or picture, but for reference look up spidi x-nashville boots too see the kind of boot im looking at. If anyone has any recomendations, Id greatly appreciate it. Id like some boots that will last for years too come.
Thanks

· Very Famous Person
10,116 Posts
--

That they're pricey is okay if that's where to want to spend your money. I suspect the support of all the tight lacing in case of an accident will be good. One factor to consider is the time/effort to put them on and off every time you ride. Boots with faster fastening can be much more satisfying. Also, if you have an accident, they will be cut off as the EMTs will not take time to slowly, carefully untie each lace.

I do wonder if the stiff ankle support will also hinder free movement of your foot when shifting and bending for the foot brake. Having to fight that stiffness will be tiring.

--

· On The Road Again!
4,965 Posts
One thing I learned years ago.....
I never wear shoes with laces on the bike.
I had several incidents where the laces got tangled in the shift lever or brake pedal or some other thing sticking out on the bike.
When I came to a stop at a corner, I couldn't put my foot down and over I went, with my leg still under the bike!
Just my two cents....

· Registered
10 Posts
+ Google Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then Google Video is down or you don't have Flash installed.
One thing I learned years ago.....
I never wear shoes with laces on the bike.
I had several incidents where the laces got tangled in the shift lever or brake pedal or some other thing sticking out on the bike.
When I came to a stop at a corner, I couldn't put my foot down and over I went, with my leg still under the bike!
Just my two cents....
im with you man, this has happened to me 2x already, will be doing double nots on my laces and might even tug them in from now on.

· Premium Member
11,108 Posts
I wear a pair of army boots. They are lace up and work well. They are also a bit warm, so get shelved during the hot days of summer. I tie the laces with an extra loop in a manner so they do not catch on things. Then the loose bottom jeans catch, so I wear gaiters.

UK

· Visionary
6,300 Posts
The last time I needed new boots I thought about getting that kind of boot ( they called them jungle combat boots and paratrooper boots) at the Army/ Navy store but after I tried them on and fiddled with the laces I decided this was the last thing I want to be doing at 0300 every morning before work. I could imagine my sleepy morning self forgetting to tie all the laces up and then I end up wrapped around the drive belt or something similar! Nice boots if you have the patience to tie them safely though.

I went and bought another pair of harness boots, they zip up the back, take 5 seconds to put on and then I am redy to go.

· Biker
1,891 Posts
I have worn 'Herman' work boots and liked them, about 5 inches above the ankle, then I'd go over them with Neatsfoot saddle oil to make them shed rain, I found them to be a pretty good boot on days where I was riding for six hours or more.never felt toes cramping or stiffness in ankles, I wore them plenty when I wasn't riding. . .

· Registered
1,299 Posts
I've been wearing Bates tactical boots for the last several years, they're almost half the price of the boots you mentioned. They are lace up and they have a side zipper, which makes for putting them on and taking off, very quick and easy. Many motorcycle specific riding boots work well for riding, but are very uncomfortable and suck for walking in. The Bates boots are very comfortable for both, and they hold up well. I don't think they are waterproof, but I try to avoid riding in the rain anyway. They're a tough durable boot that you'll get your moneys worth out of.

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
those bates are nice. Ive decided on getting soem corcoran field boots. They have ankle support (not as good as biker boots), their tall, and looks good. id post a pic but dont have enough posts yet. maybe I will after this

· Nightfly
4,737 Posts
I've always worn Frye Boots. Currently own a pair of their Folsom Combat boots. Lace up with a side zipper. They are not inexpensive but worth their price in comfort and ease of off and on. There is a side zipper that works great. For those who haven't learned how to lace a boot and keep the extra lace inside, you need to practice, it isn't difficult.

I agree with Zebraranger. The Harley boots I bought, again not inexpensive, were good looking boots, but that is all they were. They were the most uncomfortable boots I've ever owned. Fine if you didn't have to walk. Just horrible boots. The Frye fit like a glove and have that burnished slightly worn look to them. But I realize it's the individuals opinion that's the only thing that matters. What's right for me, may be wrong for the next guy.

· Registered
857 Posts
I normally wear a full height book with hard sole and hard ankle, which is good for my style of bike but not the easiest to walk around in. I have a pair of these that I've owned for ages:

https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/alpinestars-smx-3-vented-boots

It's a good combination of stiff sole, some ankle support and a "walking boot" so it's easier to get around when you're off the bike. You can usually put your pants over this style of boot, too. I'm not sure what kind of bike you have, but if its sport/sport standard with hard pegs, soft soled boots get uncomfortable after awhile, bending around the tiny little peg.

· Registered
2021 CanAm Spyder RT
4,335 Posts
I’m with those that think laced boots are too dangerous. It’s all too easy for laces to become untied and get tangled in the bike. Why take the chance when most boots are without laces, easier to get on and off, and no risk of entanglement. In the warmer weather I mostly wear a shoe-boot or shortie boot, from Icon. It looks like a high top sneaker but offers good protection, while also having mesh panels on the sides to allow for some airflow. I think they were about $100 when I bought them several years ago. Their only weakness is that they are definitely not waterproof.

· Premium Member
11,108 Posts
Nearly all leather boots will leak after enough rain. But there are covers for that. I have never caught a boot lace. The point from Mike721 is good. Some boots like my army boots, take a while to tighten the laces. Some good riding boots are also not very good for walking. Used to be racers would wear boxing boots, because of the amount of feel they had. Gloves and boots are critical for going fast. They have to have the right dexterity and feel.
My easiest to lace up boots are my Dakota steel towed work boots. Velcro and zips will eventually fail, but if they last long enough, that is fine for most folks. Just remembered I need new soles on my old pair of army boots.

UK

· Registered
1,299 Posts
That's a new one on me. I too have never ever had an issue with a boot lace coming lose or snagging on anything, guess you just need to know how to lace and tie a boot string. Like everything else, tying a shoe string, must be becoming a lost art..

Reactions: Oz

· Charter Member Black Bayou Basturds
380 Posts
I wear steel toed hiking boots because of the safety and easy walking it provides.....I own two pair.... one with real leather strings....short enough when strung up properly that any possibility of hanging up anywhere on the bike is NIL..Used to wear combat boots for the longest time......and the other with Velcro straps....very easy off and on but these suckers are made for cold weather riding...
Both suit my needs.....adapt and modify...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.