Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello... will try to keep it short... I have a circa 1980 Kawasaki Kz440 I inherited from two of my older bros (I'm the youngest of five). The bike has 10k miles on it and has been amongst the bros since 1985. I sent the bike to a mechanic in Woodstock GA 5 years ago to have it restored and just went and reclaimed it from him. He bought all of the parts but otherwise only took the bike apart (and as a result the engine seized). I have gotten the engine 'unseized' with marvel mo, but now I'm staring at a rebuild beyond my capabilities. I'm at an inflection point... should I 1. liquidate the bike, 2. hire someone to put it back together for me, or 3. get help and try to do it DYI. This is a genuine request for opinions, not a social media request to be ridiculed, so serious responses are greatly appreciated and others can GFY (no offense).

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
Depends on what the exact seizure was. If the common pistons stuck in cylinders you may have it free but it won't run right as the rings and cylinder walls are likely damaged.

MMO won't touch that but there are a lot of substandard engines out there 'running' if you can call it that. A lot of people do.

If the engine did that kiss the 10K miles thing as gone, you are not there any longer.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts