Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello,

I have a couple of general inquiries that may sway my decision in getting a bike. I'm a relatively newer rider, and sold off my Yamaha XT250 about a year ago, and have been trying to figure out what bike I wan

Some of the key things I'm considering are:
  1. Lower seat height
  2. Lighter weight
  3. Hopefully powerful enough to hit 60 to 65mph if I need to use a highway
  4. 5-speed transmission preferred
  5. Fuel injection preferred but not required
  6. Parts availability
In all of my googling my brains out, I found two bikes that really stood out to me the most. The Kymco Spade 150i and the Lifan KP Mini 150 which you can order on Amazon and have shipped right to your door. (I also looked into the Grom, Monkey, Z125), but I'm extremely hesitant about this though they seem to have rock solid reviews. (Edit: Forgot to mention I am strongly in favor of the Kymco with its fuel injection and other cool features).

Sorry, that was a bit long winded, but just wanted to get any thoughts from anyone that may have owned these two bikes and had to find parts for them. Parts availability is the main concern for me, but also if anyone has any other possible suggestions, I'm definitely open to it! I've done some searching for parts for the bikes and I definitely feel like I'm not having as easy of a time as I would for a Yamaha or other big brand bike.

Thanks so much in advance!

·
Registered
3,643 Posts
You are thinking of going from a real 250cc Yamaha motorcycle to a Chinese 150cc minibike :unsure: holy are you ever going to be disappointed.

Do not shop by the feature list, the feature list is how they sell Chinese built products. They package and promote all the popular sales features whether the end product functions or not.

·
Visionary
5,282 Posts
Not sure why you want something so small but if you do buy the Monkey or the Grom. Rock solid last forever Hondas with parts available at any dealer. The local hooligans ride Groms and I've never seen one broken down, just tearing around the area, usually doing a wheelie. A neighbor from a few blocks away has a Monkey, I only ran into her once in a gas station but she was loving it so far.
I do have to say the Monkey is so cute but might be a bit small for me, I tried one on at a show, I think I could fit in the trunk of my bike :)

Clothing Face Tire Wheel Vehicle

Reactions: Porky

·
Registered
3,643 Posts
Upgrading from 19 horsepower and full sized wheels to a 9 horsepower minibike is not a great way to pull 60 mph on a highway, that will never happen & the increased chance you getting run over by a Mack truck that honestly did not see you is significant.

... and None of those motorcycles were built lightweight.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Welcome to the forums MB. That said, I too recommend that you save your money and buy a Japanese bike. And you'll need at least a 250 or 300 in order to safely ride the highways imo.

·
Visionary
5,282 Posts
I missed one thing, you said you wanted to go 65 on the highway? Not on a Grom or a Monkey, nope, you need a bigger bike, 250-300 at least. Those little bikes barely go 55, with a tail wind, downhill :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you for all the responses! I definitely wouldn't plan on regular highway riding, just want a bike than can handle it if I'm forced to use a highway for one reason or another.

I was also looking into the Yamaha Tw200 which seems to be rock solid, I do like its slightly shorter seat height than the xt250.

On the xt250, I wasn't able to comfortable get both feet down where I feel planted and secure. So that's the main reason for wanting the smaller bike, and not wanting to ride something outside my skill level.

I don't plan on gradually moving up to now powerful bikes or anything, I really just one something that I can keep for a long time, and break out occasionally for pretty casual riding.

Any thoughts on the Tw200?

Oh I just wanted to clarify too, I didn't still my xt250 to downgrade or upgrade. I ended up selling it thinking I wouldn't want anything else, and what do you know... But I started re-evaluating what bike would be good for me

·
Registered
3,643 Posts
Thank you for all the responses! I definitely wouldn't plan on regular highway riding, just want a bike than can handle it if I'm forced to use a highway for one reason or another.
You will be looking forward to the first interchange to get off the highway.

·
SUPER MODERATOR
9,143 Posts
TW200 is the way to go. They are popular and have a great resale value, plus they are very reliable!

PS: KYMCO products are some of the best made available but too small for your needs.

I had a new 2012 Kymco 500 FI ABS, 'R' series Maxi-scooter and love it. It was as much fun and capable as my Yamaha T-MAX 500 or my Burgman 650's.

Sam:)

·
Ace Tuner
3,557 Posts
Any thoughts on the Tw200?
When I lived in Phoenix I really wanted one so I could ride out of town then go out and explore the desert mountains. I figured those fat tires would work good in the areas with lots of loose sand. If you want to do a little off road, a little on road and a little highway... TW200. They've been making those things for Years on Years. Getting parts should never be a problem.
IMO Chinese bikes are like Bic lighters. Use them up then throw them away. A TW200 will cost you less in the long run. Just my thoughts.

S F

·
SUPER MODERATOR
9,143 Posts
I looked around and finally found the picture of my Kymco Maxi Scooter:

Tire Wheel Fuel tank Vehicle Automotive lighting

1 - 14 of 14 Posts