Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Gone.
17,857 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I stopped for gas in Odessa, Texas, and got my pants leg caught on my kickstand as I was pulling up to the pump. Yeap, over we went. I snapped off my clutch lever, but was able to get two fingers on it so didn't worry about it too much. I also bent my kickstand spring, but didn't realize it until it popped out going down the highway near El Paso. (Quite a surprise at the time.) I held it back on with duct tape but decided to stop in at Tucson HD when we got up that way.

They did an awesome job! Because we were travelling, they got us right in and had us back on the road in less then an hour. Replaced the clutch lever, replaced the kickstand spring and bumper, washed the bike, and charged me only parts and a half hour labor. Less then $100 total. HD dealerships usually have pretty nice customer areas, and this one was no exception. Mrs. Eye and I shot some pool and drank coffee while waiting, and a few of the motor clothes girls came over to check on us and visit with us. Very personable and friendly.

·
It's all fun and games until someone loses an eye
8,665 Posts
They did you solid on that one. I've seen where many Harley dealers treat traveling riders as a priority more than not.

·
Shaper Of All Things Metal
2,799 Posts
I worked an apprenticeship for an uncle in his welding/machine shop/general repair business. He had a big sign hanging right inside the door...

"We do not necessarily do work in the order it comes in but rather serve those first who have the greatest need."

Sounds like what HD is practicing.

·
American Legion Rider
23,543 Posts
Man that must have been tough on you knowing that it's a simple job you could do on your own. Heck I can even do that job. But the way Harley dealers normally get travelers in and out is why I'm still riding one. I don't know for sure but I think most brands handle travelers exceptional.

·
Gone.
17,857 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah, if I had a few tools with me I could have easily done the job myself, and I HATE to pay someone else to do something I can do. Other then that though, it was a nice experience. I'm just glad I had some duct tape in my pack to hold the jiffy stand spring in place though. I had to hold the stand up off the highway for a few miles with my foot before we stopped.

·
American Legion Rider
23,543 Posts
Duct tape. Never leave home without it! :thumbsup:

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
14,301 Posts
You got to quit wearing those bell bottoms eye.

·
14,301 Posts
LOL maybe not then, but now those tye-died bells you wear are just the ticket.

Otherwise how did you catch your jeans on the side stand?

·
Gone.
17,857 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I don't have a lot of range of motion in my left hip so I added a jiffy stand extension to be able to get a hold of it with the heel of my boot. I missed and the extension piece went right up my straight leg pants. I was already leaning to the left (on the bike) and over we went, toot sweet.

Tie dyed bells, indeed.

·
14,301 Posts
That sucks when it happens, nothing you can do but go down with it. Leg is caught, bike is going down and you can't get the leg loose. You were lucky you didn't get hurt.

·
American Legion Rider
23,543 Posts
Boy do I know what you are talking about with range of motion. You are dang lucky you didn't get hurt.

·
Gone.
17,857 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yeah, I'm real lucky I didn't get hurt! I'm amazed I didn't at least twist something, but all was good. What really startled me was later when the spring came loose and the jiffy stand started to spark and drag on the highway.

·
American Legion Rider
23,543 Posts
Ha ha ha:coffeescreen: I bet you thought it was coming apart. That sucker is heavy enough to stay down and make all kinds of noise. I'm sure you felt better when you could see it was just that and nothing worse.:coffeescreen:

·
So long
2,739 Posts
Great thing about the HD dealer network is that you don't have to go far to find a dealer. Sounds like HD Tucson did right by you.

Glad you didn't get hurt.

Only time I heard somebody's pants got them in trouble was when they were off! :biggrin:

·
14,301 Posts
Great thing about the HD dealer network is that you don't have to go far to find a dealer. Sounds like HD Tucson did right by you.

This is the first time I've heard of somebody's pants getting him in trouble and they weren't off! :p

Last line was worth the double post :)

·
The 43rd Poser
440 Posts
I have found MOST HD dealers to be quite accommodating to travelers.

Glad they took care of you.

I have duct tape in my tool kit...

But I have "fixed" more with zip ties. Before zip ties were common, I always had some bailing wire.

·
Gone.
17,857 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Ha ha ha:coffeescreen: I bet you thought it was coming apart. That sucker is heavy enough to stay down and make all kinds of noise. I'm sure you felt better when you could see it was just that and nothing worse.:coffeescreen:
Yeah, it was bouncing around and making all sorts of scary noises before I realized what it was. I thought I had run over....something....I don't know what. I held it up with my foot until I could catch up with Mrs. Eye and get her attention. :coffeescreen:

·
Gone.
17,857 Posts
Discussion Starter #20

This is the first time I've heard of somebody's pants getting him in trouble and they weren't off! :p
:coffeescreen:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts