Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone here have experience with either bike? I currently own a 2009 KTM 690 SMC that I'm thinking of selling in order to fund a new 500 EXC or 690 Enduro R. The newer Enduro Rs have a slightly bigger motor but I'm sure I'd feel plenty familiar coming from my SMC. I realize the EXC and Enduro R are different bikes however there are some other factors at play. What I'd like to do is sell the SMC then get the Enduro R but they are apparently very difficult to come by in the US. If I could do that, I'd get some SM wheels and have a best of both worlds bike as well as two plated bikes instead of 3. I say 3 because I'd probably keep the SMC if I got the 500 (at least initially). My use for the bike would be traditional dual sport riding to include woods/trail stuff and either way, I'd be looking for a set of supermoto wheels. As far as a regular commuting/long distance/comfortable ride, I have a bike that is perfectly suited to that so I'm not really looking for a bike that fits that bill all that much.

If I could just get dirt wheels for the SMC I would but it's very difficult to go that route instead of the Enduro to SM.

Here's my thoughts at the moment:

-I recently moved and there is a ton of trail riding not far (30ish minute ride) near me now. The 500 would definitely shine off road and be a better bike on the dirt. Getting there, the Enduro R would be better but would be a little heavy off road. (assumes I can find an Enduro R that is)

-The trade off for the higher performance and lower weight is an increased maintenance schedule on the 500. The manual seems pretty nuts but it's written as though you are hare scramble racing the bike. Everything I've read suggests that you can do the valve checks and frequent oil changes as prescribed (which aren't really all that bad) but the valves are rarely out of spec. Some have suggested you can very safely space out that maintenance a little just fine, but it's honestly so quick and easy why not just stick to the manual? I'm plenty confident with a wrench to do valve checks, oil changes, and other regular stuff of that sort as well.

-Enduro Rs are near impossible to find. I can easily find 500 EXCs all over the place. The price difference is negligible so that's not a factor.

What say you guys/gals? Anyone have experience with either bike?

·
Registered
886 Posts
I do like the KTMs as well, six years ago the SMC and 690 Enduro were on my short list when I found a really good deal on a Husqvarna 610SM. I don't quite understand you as the SMC and 690 Enduro are basically the same bike with the difference being the SMC having seventeen inch supermoto wheels and the enduro having the larger dirt oriented wheels. If you can easily turn the enduro into a supermoto simply by changing wheels then the opposite should also be true. Anyway, the main selling points of the 690 for me would be the almost one gallon larger gas tank and the claimed seventy HP, in my thinking those two things would make a better road bike. As I understand the 500 is much more dirt oriented, more like an open class real enduro competition bike, not that the 690R is not as good. The other point is that you already know the engine and I can't believe that KTM has changed the 690R that much and a just over three hundred pound dirt bike isn't that heavy. I guess the question is what percentage of serious dirt/street combination are you looking for.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Turning the SMC to Enduro is not easy, the fork legs are different and that's where the difficulties just begin. You also need new front brakes and some other stuff.

The other question is availability. 690Rs seem to be quite difficult to come by. I'm in no rush to get rid of a bike that I have a bit of an attachment to though so it's no big deal and no rush right now. I'm definitely in a position to wait for a good deal to come my way :)

·
Registered
886 Posts
Where are you located? The 690 Enduro R seem to be sitting on the showroom floor in Maryland. The dealers in your area should be able to get one from another dealer that isn't selling them, or are they trying to sell only what they have?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm just outside Philly in NJ. There is a dealer in Deptford who is doing some looking for me so I've got that in my favor. I stopped in at a dealer near home in PA and they made about zero effort and told me that nobody in the 5 state area had one, I'd have to go to Georgia. Sounds to me like dealer #2 was just lazy.

In the end, no huge rush to accrue more debt at the moment since I just found out I'll be heading out of the country for a while midway through the season until late winter 2016 anyway.

·
Banned
15 Posts
plenty familiar coming from my SMC. I realize the EXC and Enduro R are different bikes however there are some other factors at play. What I'd like to do is sell the SMC.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have the 500xcw. Very nice bike. Hate to see one go to the street (ouch, that wasn't nice) but it should make for one heck of a fun ride.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I hear the XCWs are awesome with a license plate. Or the next best thing is to get the XCW map loaded on the EXC.

As for the 690R, I've given up on that one. If I go KTM, it's going to be a 500 EXC. Now I just have to find a second job to afford it....

...or do the "smart" thing and get a used WR250R or DR650 for a fraction of the KTM's price tag. Then again, smart and motorcycle rarely go together in the same sentence.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah, I know. I've owned a WR250X. Neither of those bike new costs what an EXC costs used though either.

·
Registered
886 Posts
What's the saying? Ya gotta pay to play. I had a Husqvarna 610SM and now wish I hadn't sold it, the Europeans have it all over the Japanese for power and suspension.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts