Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My neighbor is having some struggles getting his bike on the road. He has had on-going problems, but a new problem keeps coming up. Before, it was his ignition (solved), then his batteries kept dying (solved), now there is a knocking, not ticking, in the transmission.

He has a RevTech motor. Transmission I do not know, but it's a 5 speed belt drive. He has everything torn apart but has no idea where to start with trying to identify the problem.

You guys have any thoughts?

·
Gone
23,907 Posts
These have a separate engine/transmission, so worse case it's just the trans that needs to be replaced.

Looking for worn components is the place to start.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
These have a separate engine/transmission, so worse case it's just the trans that needs to be replaced.

Looking for worn components is the place to start.
I think he is trying to find the worn out parts. I walked into his garage and saw the belt and all these parts on the ground. Me being a smart a$$, I asked him how his bikes running.

We give eachother alot of crap. I have a yamaha and he has a custom chopper.

·
ZAMM Fanatic
2,730 Posts
Now there is a knocking, not ticking, in the transmission.

You guys have any thoughts?
Pay someone who knows what the hell they're doing to look at it???

If it had been a ticking, not a knocking, I'd have looked in the sump for a "cheap but reliable" timepiece dropped by a previous transmission rebuilder.

...."Takes a lickin', keeps on ticking...

NHq3Yze6s0

·
Save them all!
4,278 Posts
Damaged or loose bearings or races? Chipped or damaged teeth? Probably shouldn't overlook a possible clutch issue...

Just guesses - I have absolutely zero experience with anything RevTech.

·
Gone.
17,857 Posts
When does it make the noise?

Like Cmon Start said, start by checking for a clutch issue. Then I'd work my way inwards checking the clutch and primary bearings.

He's already got the transmission apart? He'll need to find a copy of the service wear limits for that transmission. If it's a Revtech transmission call Custom Chrome and see if they can get him a copy. Otherwise, go to whoever manufactured it. (And good luck with that.) Once he as the SWL's he can start carefully checking each gear, shaft, bearing, shifter fork, and so on to make sure it's within specs and doesn't show any sign of damage. Work slowly and methodically and he'll find the problem.

·
Ghost in the machine
2,857 Posts
Rev-Tech trans are known to make somewhat of a knocking noise IF it is an open primary. Does your buddies bike have an open primary? Does it make the noise when idling in neutral or only when in gear? I never noticed mine knocking while I was riding it, but it always knocked at idle.

To be more specific Rev-Tech open primary clutches are known to make a knocking noise, not the actual transmissions.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Rev-Tech trans are known to make somewhat of a knocking noise IF it is an open primary. Does your buddies bike have an open primary? Does it make the noise when idling in neutral or only when in gear? I never noticed mine knocking while I was riding it, but it always knocked at idle.

To be more specific Rev-Tech open primary clutches are known to make a knocking noise, not the actual transmissions.
You hit it there. It only makes the noise at idle, but is something he never noticed before. It does make the noise when in gear, but only when he is sitting there holding the clutch.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Pay someone who knows what the hell they're doing to look at it???

If it had been a ticking, not a knocking, I'd have looked in the sump for a "cheap but reliable" timepiece dropped by a previous transmission rebuilder.

...."Takes a lickin', keeps on ticking...

NHq3Yze6s0
He was going to do that. That's why its torn apart now. The nearest guy to us that works on custom bikes likes this is booked for 3 weeks. Weather is getting nice over here, and he got a little overzealous in getting it on the road.

·
Ghost in the machine
2,857 Posts
Is this his first bike with an open primary? I'm not sure there is anything that a shop is going to be able to do about it. That's just what you hear with a dry exposed clutch. Most bikes have clutches bathed in oil and sealed in a metal case, this makes them much quieter.

Maybe someone else here knows of a trick to quiet them that I don't know about.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I've heard a lot (most) dry clutches make a sort of ringing, jingly sound at idle, but not a knocking noise.
His does jingle at idle.

Better information on the transmission;
2007 Ultima 6 Speed
Probably has about 9000 miles on it.

Inspected all the gears, and didn't see anything ground out.

·
Gone.
17,857 Posts
The jingle noise is normal at idle and with the clutch in. If it's also making a loud knocking noise, that's not normal. (It's kind of hard to tell what it's doing by reading about it. :))

The Ultima is basically a Harley clone, so it's a constant mesh transmission. When you're sitting at idle, not moving, with the clutch in, the main shaft and counter shaft shouldn't be rotating. So just by your description my guess would be the clutch hub bearing, or some other clutch issue, but all I can do from this distance is take a guess.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The jingle noise is normal at idle and with the clutch in. If it's also making a loud knocking noise, that's not normal. (It's kind of hard to tell what it's doing by reading about it. :))

The Ultima is basically a Harley clone, so it's a constant mesh transmission. When you're sitting at idle, not moving, with the clutch in, the main shaft and counter shaft shouldn't be rotating. So just by your description my guess would be the clutch hub bearing, or some other clutch issue, but all I can do from this distance is take a guess.
Oh yea, I understand that. Just looking for a place to start, and the clutch hub bearing is where I shall start.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ok, we have a mystery. Maybe this is a common thing. I gave him the info on what you guys were saying to check. He decided to put it all back together again to see if he can pinpoint where exactly the knocking is coming from..... Well, no knocking now....

I did some research on the Ultima 6 Speed, and it doesn't seem very good.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts