Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the opportunity to fix up my sv and trade it for a klr650. I think I have a good grasp on the numbers comparison

pros:
2x the range with a 6 gal tank
slightly better mpg
off road capability (I want to take a bike around the country, go to the national parks, etc)
super easy to maintain (single cylinder, carburetor)
easy to carry stuff (better for going car-less)

cons:
1/2x the horse power (I love the sweet low end acceleration on the sv)
much more top heavy (not as good on the streets)
can't exactly carve corners anymore
less fun to ride on tarmac (where I will spend the majority of my time commuting, getting from A to B, etc)

I'm pretty conflicted. I wish I could just have both, but that's not happening right now. Wondering if other people on here have insights on what it's like to own a klr, like how the riding compares, how they handle differently, ease of maintenance, and all the little details you get by riding them

·
Registered
809 Posts
Agreed, I would rather have a V-strom than either one for your stated purposes. Between the two mentioned, I would stick with the SV, personally. But I admit I'm not a big dual-sport pseudo-dirt bike fan.

·
Commute Racer
2,225 Posts
Never ridden a klr, but I have heard they aren't great at going 80ish, whereas the SV can go 100 all day long.

·
Roamer
176 Posts
Agree with everyone else, the SV suits your riding purposes better.

However, let's throw practicality out the window for a moment. If you're just over the SV and totally in love with the KRL, then go for it. I think, for a motorcycle at least, whether it makes your little heart beat faster or not is a tell tale sign of what to buy.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts