Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took my boys (10 & 12 yrs old) around the block on my bike. Any thoughts on whether it is right or wrong to carry a passenger under 16 yrs old? I'm a new rider and don't see anything wrong as long as they are wearing a helmet.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
New rider plus passengers regardless of age is a recipe for disaster. Not to say you are a bad driver just that new riders tend to not have enough experience on a bike to handle what can go wrong with carrying a passenger. If you have to make an emergency stop how are you going to prepare for the full force of the passenger coming on top of you? Are you going to be able to maintain control? And kids have a tendency to move around alot which makes things worse. You also nneed to check your state laws. Some states it may be illegal for someone under 16 to ride.

·
Member Map
23,911 Posts
A great question to ask yourself (and honestly answer) before taking any passenger is:

Can I effectively perform emergency maneuvers carrying a passenger? You don't really know unless you practice it and try it out.

Personally, I wouldn't ride with a child passenger in a traffic situation. I would for short distances in a more controlled environment such as an empty parking lot or rarely traveled residential area.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
And you being the parent you are the only one who can truly answer the question. Are you willing to risk your childs life? Would you let your child on the back of a bike of another new rider? its one thing to risk our own lives. We can accept the risks. A child does not have the capability to assume those risks. Thats where we as parents come in. We have to make those choices for them. Its better to have a child be mad at you for saying no than it is to beat yourself up if god forbid something does happen and your child gets hurt or killed. Words to think about

·
Aging & Worn
4,516 Posts
A great question to ask yourself (and honestly answer) before taking any passenger is:

Can I effectively perform emergency maneuvers carrying a passenger? You don't really know unless you practice it and try it out.

Personally, I wouldn't ride with a child passenger in a traffic situation. I would for short distances in a more controlled environment such as an empty parking lot or rarely traveled residential area.
This is a tough one. I have grandkids that are 6 years old and under, (much younger than the one(s) you are talking about. I can tell you that I don't take THEM, because they are "too small" and "too young."

At the ages of 10 or 12 I see no big issue concerning taking them "around the block." Provided you feel confident in taking them, as the Driver. Provided they are properly taught and wearing the right protective gear.

You need to be able to evaluate the rider to see if they have any issues (physical or otherwise) that might not make them a good candidate as a "rider" (no matter how much they may want to go).

I'll give you a "for instance" .........Suppose the youngster had some sort of physical disability that didn't allow them to be able to "hold on" with a certainty (for example). Logic plays a part in your decision making.

I wonder if there are any Laws pertaining to this? I don't know. I'll look it up. Meanwhile, all things being within an acceptable range of "risk," I don't see any major issue taking them for a quick ride thru a couple of side streets. I DO agree about avoiding taking them into traffic situations.

My daughters were in their late teens/early twenties (don't remember their exact ages at the time) before I took them for a ride on my bike. After some basic instruction, and gearing them up correctly, they were fine; they loved it, and it was fun to take them.

They STILL come and ask me for rides, (now in their thirties and married).
I wouldn't make any brownie points with their husbands though if I suggested that they take the BRC and get their own bike!

My wife's cousin lives around the corner, and he has a 14 year old daughter. The whole family has been trying to get her into "family" thinking, and I even considered offering to take her on a bike ride, thinking it might be fun for her. I believe she would do "ok" on a ride, and am confident in my own ability to keep her safe. That said, I recognize the risk factor, and take it very seriously. Her being 14 is more acceptable to me, than if she were 10.

-Soupy

·
Registered
4,927 Posts
in most states the "Law" states that if the passenger can reach the foot pegs they can ride....I grew up on a bike with my parents, at times there all four of us (dad, mom, brother and me) all on the bike (this was back in the 70's) I sat on the bike between mom and dad, and if mom wasn't on the bike I sat in front of dad almost on the tank....things are different now though...

as for you being the one taking them for rides as a new rider....well that's not really up to me (or anyone else) but you do have to think about your skill level on the bike and if it is safe enough to take passengers....I only had my bike for about 2 months before taking my kids on the bike with me (they were 14 and 16 at the time)

·
Aging & Worn
4,516 Posts
....................I only had my bike for about 2 months before taking my kids on the bike with me (they were 14 and 16 at the time)
Goliath616 makes a good point to re-state. In my case, I refused to take "riders" until "I" was sure that I had reached a point in my riding, that I really "understood" my bike and could handle it well, and its nuances.

"Pride" can get in the way, if we let it. Better to be honest with yourself.

-Soupy

·
Registered
3,324 Posts
I have seen little kids on bikes wearing no helmet, or an adult helmet slipping around on their heads. I have seen kids whose feet do not reach the pegs and they are on barely able to hold on and stay on the bike. I think the riders in these cases should be arrested for child abuse or neglect.

I have three rules for taking my grandchildren on my motorcycle. They need to have a properly fitting helmet; they need to be able to easily reach the pegs, and they need the OK of their parents. I have several grandchildren who meet the first two, but not the third requirement. I think that my kids and their spouses think that I am getting too old already to safely ride their children, so I may have to keep riding until my grandkids get old enough to make their own decisions. The funny thing is that only one of my ten grandkids has ever asked me for a ride, which makes me sad.

·
Registered
19 Posts
It's a very bad idea to take kids with you, you will only create future riders!!

My dad took me since the age that I could hold on, he would sit me on the tank, I would hold on to the handle bars, I wore a helmet with face shield, granted this was I the early 70's... Heck we didn't even have seat belts or car seats back then. I think sitting on dad's gas tank with a helmet was safer than sliding back and forth in the back seat bench of mom's galaxie 500!

As long as the kid has protective gear, a good back rest, can reach the foot pegs, has the strength and training to be a passenger go ahead.. Just be smart about what roads you take..

·
Registered
699 Posts
IMO, a new rider should not be taking any passengers, much less kids. As a new rider, you do not have the skills to keep a passenger safe. You will make mistakes along the way that, solo, you may recover from without harm, but with a passenger may result in a drop. I have no problem with experienced and safe riders having kid passengers provided they have them geared up properly. It burns my hide a little to see an ATGATT rider with a kid in shorts and tank top riding behind them. Why is your head and skin more precious than theirs?

·
Charlie Tango Xray
763 Posts
I was torn whether or not to give my kids rides around the neighborhood while they were growing up. However when I did, I bundled them up with all the safety gear I could muster, short of bubble wrap. As to an acceptable age to allow them to ride, will a 13 year old get less injured than an 8 year old in a crash?:confused:

·
Registered
4,927 Posts
My dad took me since the age that I could hold on, he would sit me on the tank, I would hold on to the handle bars, I wore a helmet with face shield, granted this was I the early 70's... Heck we didn't even have seat belts or car seats back then. I think sitting on dad's gas tank with a helmet was safer than sliding back and forth in the back seat bench of mom's galaxie 500!
yep, I did the same thing when mom wasn't on the bike with us, when she was, I had to sit between them....dad started taking my brother and I for rides when we were around 3 or 4, we always had helmets that fit us too....both my daughters had/have helmets that fit and I made them where pants and not shorts when the rode with me (along with other safety gear)

·
Pegasus trapped in a human body on a motorcycle
9,225 Posts
My thoughts:

A new rider should wait until he/she has more experience with their bike before giving passengers rides. I myself come to this conclusion through personal experience, not only as an experienced rider, but remembering the times I took passengers with me when I had significantly less experience. This way, the rider will have much better knowledge of what the bike will and will not do, and know how to have better control with the bike with the addition of a passenger.

Now, when it comes to children on my bike, I have to ask several things. Does the child have the appropriate safety gear? Do I think the child will be a good passenger, or will he/she fidget and move around in the seat constantly? Can the child climb aboard the bike without assistance as well as reach the pegs? Have the child's parents given their permission? are road conditions and traffic such that I would feel uncomfortable with a passenger aboard? Lastly, Do I feel comfortable taking a passenger on my machine?

On the last one, I have found that the Vmax has a much more drastic change in handling when a passenger is aboard than when I had the Shadow. I do NOT like the way the bike feels when the passenger weighs much more than I do. All these factors come into play when I have to decide whether or not to give someone a ride.

And this is why I find I prefer to ride solo.

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
recommend AGAINST it.

Got no problems if you are doing a joy ride ... maybe once around the block with no cars ... just so the kids can experience it. better still, in a very large parking lot that is empty.

BUT general riding on the street - I highly recommend against it. Kids will be destroyed in an accident ... you don't want that on your conscience. Their bodies and lives would be messed up for good.

don't like to be a party pooper - but gotta tell you the truth as I see it.

dT

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
I have taken young relatives for a short ride on my bike. A girl who was the grandchild of my sister, I have no idea how to name that, rode about 20 miles with me at 15 years old. She was well behaved on the back seat which made the ride uneventful. She had another person with her, a boy about a year younger, who I refused to carry. My sister was on a road trip with both of them but they were very different people in terms of maturity. His attention span was way too short and I did not have a helmet that would have fit him even if I had been comfortable with his attitude. There is a difference between responsibly carrying a young passenger and ignoring their safety completely, at least it seems so to me.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Smart man...You wouldn't have to worry about talking to her, she wouldn't let you get a word in edgewise anyways.....and god forbid you make her mad...got momma's temper

1 - 20 of 29 Posts