Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now that I have my 2015 estimated monthly spending accounted for, I can now focus on upgrading my gear every other paycheck at a time. 1st up are the jeans. I’ve decided to go with Kevlar jeans. I’m looking at Draggin Jeans which seem to be rated very highly. While I have no doubts about the quality of protection I do have a question in regards to fit and comfort for anyone who wears them, or any brand of Kevlar pants.
I only own 3 pairs of regular jeans total and I don’t know how old any of them are (each at least 10 years), but they all fit great. Since I usually wear dress slacks for work, and then I am usually in shorts and a t-shirt at home or at the gym, I don’t wear my jeans on a frequent basis. But I do like how I can just do a quick pull at the thigh and have the appropriate amount of room in the legs and thighs to go in to a seated or squat position without any issues.
The video reviews I watched suggested going up in length and then having them hemmed. My question is this for anyone who went the Kevlar route. How is the fit for leg mobility for Kevlar jeans ? In regular jeans I am 38x30, but I lost weight last year (YES!) so my actual waist size is smaller. Should I go up in length in the leg but keep the waist size, or does the Kevlar fit pretty much true to size ? I plan on stopping by Cyclegear this week to try on a few things.

·
Registered
3,154 Posts
I have 2 pair of Draggin Jeans. They are actually different sizes...got them both on Ebay...one is a 38x34 and the other a 36x34. The 38's are a bit loose, as 36 is more my true size. They are both true to length; if anything, maybe a bit longer than Levi's. I would say just get whatever size you normally wear and you should be fine.

Comfort-wise, they are really comfortable! Thicker and warmer than regular jeans, and "cushier". I wear them everyday to work and then just change into my carhartt's, and it isn't a pain in the butt or anything. They have just become part of my daily routine.

I bought both on Ebay by sellers that said they had just worn them a couple/few times, and got them in great shape for about $60. This is about half price for that particular brand. I checked out CycleGear but they didn't have anything longer than a 32 inseam, so it wouldn't work for me. They had a few different brands but not the Draggin Jeans. The one they had the most of was their home line, BILT...and l have found that brand to be very mediocre. The Street & Steel ones looked pretty cool, l wish they had had them in my size.

I have also heard good things about these Drayko's, but l have not seen them in person or tried them out. This looks like a pretty good deal for them...in the end this auction will go for under $100, and these retail for $180

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Drayko-Kevlar-Denim-Riding-Jeans-Size-36-/291347665449?pt=Apparel_Merchandise&hash=item43d5ac9229&vxp=mtr

·
Gone.
17,857 Posts
One thing I'm curious about with the kevlar jeans, is how long do they last? Kevlar breaks down over time and starts to lose it'd effectiveness after about 5 years. Movement / flexing, exposure to moisture and sunlight also decreases it's effectiveness. Our bullet resistant vests were scheduled to be replaced every 5 years, and had a manufacture and "replace by" date on each one. Do the jeans have any markings like that? How do you clean them?

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
I've got two pairs of Kevlar jeans. One is a "serious" pair from Hood Jeans in the UK. That Kevlar is pretty thick and tough. Those jeans are not as soft as denim .. basically because of the thickness of the material. But they have softened over time, and are pretty comfortable now. You might get them a little bigger, but I wouldnt plan on hemming them. Get the right leg length.

I also got some jeans from a motorcycle store that supposedly have "some" Kevlar in them. they are very soft and easy to wear. Pricey. the clothing has good looks, but probably less protection. if you want real pro against abrasion, you gotta go with the more serious kevlar jeans. they are stiffer than denim when you buy them, but they will soften if you wear them a lot.

dT

·
Charlie Tango Xray
763 Posts
Kevlar is no substitute for actual body armor. But as they say, its better than nothing. I've had accidents at work where my regular jeans looked OK but my leg was a bloody mess.
The washing instructions on my Kevlar jeans says to wash like regular jeans but dry on medium. No mention on the life expectancy.

·
American Legion Rider
21,265 Posts
I never thought about Kevlar having a lifespan by itself compared to a protection vest. Mine just said wash normally like jeans. Drying best by hang drying. But like everything, there is a lifespan. So is that when they start feeling good? Don't know.:confused:

·
Gone.
17,857 Posts
That's kind of what got me wondering too. The vests were stiff when new, and by the time they'd get replaced they had also gotten very flexible and a lot more comfortable. (And very, very stinky.) On the other hand, things that were made of kevlar encased in resins so they were solid and didn't flex, (such as ballistic entry shields, chest protectors, face masks and so on,) didn't get replaced unless they took a bunch of rounds and were damaged. No "replace by" date at all.

We did a lot of playing around with...er..."testing," on expired vests too. We'd set them up at various angles and so forth and shoot them with all sorts of different types of rounds and what-not. Some were still okay and some were useless, and close proximity multiple impacts would really shred some of them.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Went and tried about a few pair of kevlar jeans today. 1st the bad. According to Draggin jeans website Cyclegear carries their product. I go to in looking for them specifically oly to find they don't carry them anymore. I tried on the Bilt brand which i had no interest in, but it didn't matter anyway.. Even though the waist felt fine, before I even went in to the squat position I could feel the tightness in my thighs. I go for the squat anyway and I could only go about 3/4 of the way down. And that is with 2 inches more length than what I wear in regular jeans. Wasn't a total wast though. I got a Street and Steel jacket for 80.00.

·
Registered
3,154 Posts
Went and tried about a few pair of kevlar jeans today. 1st the bad. According to Draggin jeans website Cyclegear carries their product. I go to in looking for them specifically oly to find they don't carry them anymore. I tried on the Bilt brand which i had no interest in, but it didn't matter anyway.. Even though the waist felt fine, before I even went in to the squat position I could feel the tightness in my thighs. I go for the squat anyway and I could only go about 3/4 of the way down. And that is with 2 inches more length than what I wear in regular jeans. Wasn't a total wast though. I got a Street and Steel jacket for 80.00.
That is exactly what l found at CycleGear...not much selection. The more l have gone in there, the more l realized that "BILT" is the brand they carry, and everything else is pretty hit or miss. I'm not as big on it now that l am starting to be able to tell the difference in quality.

Maybe just find a pair for a great deal on Ebay...you can always sell them again if they don't fit. These ones will likely go for the opening auction price, around $40

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sliders-Kevlar-Motorcycle-Riding-Jeans-Pants-Mens-34-x-30-/111577896205?pt=Apparel_Merchandise&hash=item19fa8f950d&vxp=mtr

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yeah that Bilt brand just wasn't doing it for me. I thought about going the Ebay route. I saw one of your previous postings about finding a great deal on a few pairs. I considered it for a short time, since this will be my first time wearing a pair and with the other variables that need considered I want to get it right the 1st time. And as you mentioned I could probably sell them on Ebay if they remain in good condition.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yeah there are other shops, not necessarily in the area. We have manufacturer branded shops (good luck finding them there) and we have some independents who may or may not have some. I'll find them before the season starts here.

·
Registered
3,154 Posts
Maybe a small dealership would be interested in finding some for you? A lot of times those are the guys who will give you the time of day.

·
American Legion Rider
21,265 Posts
Maybe a small dealership would be interested in finding some for you? A lot of times those are the guys who will give you the time of day.
And those are the very guys you shouldn't jerk around after they take the time to help. Many will eat shipping charges but are in fact barely surviving as is.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Yeah that Bilt brand just wasn't doing it for me. I thought about going the Ebay route. I saw one of your previous postings about finding a great deal on a few pairs. I considered it for a short time, since this will be my first time wearing a pair and with the other variables that need considered I want to get it right the 1st time. And as you mentioned I could probably sell them on Ebay if they remain in good condition.
Are there other shops in your area? Find what you want, figure out the size, then buy it online.
Just a thought on this. Have you guys looked at revzilla? From what I remember shipping was free for anything $0 and over and if you get the wrong size or something is wrong with the item you receive you can send it back hassle free for either another size, item, or a refund. I think you have to pay a fee of around $8 for a pre-printed ups shipping label or something. Lots more selection on there.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I looked at them as well. I spent the winter trying to watch their product review videos, but I couldn't get past the used care sales guy voice.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts