Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
2007 Yamaha Road Star Silverado 1700
4,671 Posts
Watching that video I see a jackass driver and two irresponsible bikers.

The driver of the truck should be drawn and quartered as far as I'm concerned... there's no excuse for what he did.

However, those bikers were irresponsible douchers that give all motorcyclists a bad name. There is absolutely no place for riding like that on public streets unless you're participating in the Isle of Man TT.

·
Banned
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I agree. They crossed the yellow line, and the ATV hauler decided to take matters in his own hands as he saw fit. Road rage comes from unstable drivers feeling provoked into criminal behavior. It's worldwide, serious, and deadly. Knowing the potential of what cagers are prepared to do, you have to ride responsibly. Truck vs. bike, you just can't win fighting 4500lbs of metal.

·
Registered
144 Posts
A couple people have beat me to it, but I still want to add my two cents.

First of all I want to say that the driver of the truck WAS A MAJOR D*CK AS WELL and never should have done what he did. He should have called it in in the first place and would have saved himself a lot of trouble.

Now for the motorcycle riders. I will give the second guy the benefit of the doubt for now and assume he was trying to help his friend from getting killed. The lead rider however was a moron. Passing on a double yellow with a curve coming up is just asking for trouble. There's no telling what could be coming around the bend and what it would have done to all three of these vehicles. I'm sure this isn't the first time the truck driver has experienced this on this road either which is probably what provoked him. Also looks like the riders were speeding and not just by a few miles per hour either judging by how they came up on the truck.

It's is people like this that give the rest of us a bad name and put us all in danger. I see this type of stupid behavior around this area all the time. I've seen riders speeding, weaving in-between traffic, and cutting in front of people (even had one cut in front of my wife while she was in her car and I was riding my bike behind her). Of course I see this from cages as well so I know it's not limited by what vehicle a person drives.

If we expect them to respect us, see us, and share the road with us then we need to do the same.

·
Banned
198 Posts
Everybody in this video needs to go to jail.

Bikers are speeding, passing illegally on the double-yellow line. In this state it's "reckless driving" and will get you tossed in jail.

Truck driver is guilty of "vehicular assault," "reckless driving," and when he gets out of the truck with a tire iron in hand he's "menacing."

Everybody in this video needs to be arrested. Or they could do everyone a favor and kill each other, save the state heaps of $$$ in prosecution.

·
Registered
360 Posts

Bikers are speeding, passing illegally on the double-yellow line. In this state it's "reckless driving" and will get you tossed in jail.

Truck driver is guilty of "vehicular assault," "reckless driving," and when he gets out of the truck with a tire iron in hand he's "menacing."

Everybody in this video needs to be arrested. Or they could do everyone a favor and kill each other, save the state heaps of $$$ in prosecution.
I agree with you. The one motorcycle that crossed the line should. The truck guy should also., but the get filming should some a major fines for speeding and if it were fast enough. He might get reckless driving and have his bike impounded with the rest of them.

·
Registered
168 Posts
ok, my take on it....

1.) alright, yes the motorcyclists were probably speeding, but in all honestly on the back country roads like that... who doesn't from time to time??? to say you don't is pretty much hypocritical (even though you might not speed as badly as they do)

2.) grant it, at the point that they passed the truck it was a double yellow line but the curve was so wide open and he could see a good ways away and got on it to get around him. and in a way, getting around him was being more curtious than riding his tail and being a d-bag that way.

3.) If the truck had just let them get around him (letting them be idiots and risking their own lives) and called the cops, he would've saved them all a lot of trouble

4.) When he swerved into the other lane of traffic he threw a number of charges on him and made himself just as guilty as they were, there by making himself no better than they were.
There were a couple of moments in that video that he almost hit oncoming traffic, and he was over the yellow line more than they were in that video

Now i have no problem with people taking the law into their own hands when the time comes and the person was actually guilty, These riders were two completely random guys out for a ride and he tried to run them off the road, if i were one of those riders i would have no problems taking a possible ticket for what the riders did in that video as long as it got that cager off the road

·
Registered
314 Posts
Personally, both the truck driver and lead rider should be ticketed heavily. Riding a sport bike in such a manner is exactly what turns public opinion against us and alienates the local folk who actually live there and have to deal with knuckleheads on sport bikes passing them every which way. Who knows, perhaps the driver of the pick up was fed up with that nonsense and decided to do something about it. Of course he had no right to be a vigilante. Law enforcement is best left to LEOs. In the final analysis, EPIC FAIL to everyone involved in that video :coffeescreen:

·
Banned
198 Posts
Doesn't matter if you can "see the road" or not. When the road center-line indicates "no passing" there's a reason for it. Most of the time the reason has something to do with the environs you're driving through.

We have roads like this. Clear view for ample time to pass in a car/truck. For sure ample time to pass on a bike. The lanes are marked "no passing" because there's a good chance of deer, elk, livestock on the road, bicycles, pedestrians, farm equipment.

When they put a solid line on the highway it means "no passing." That's the LAW, not a negotiable option left to your "eminent judgment."

When the second (following) rider gets off his bike and confronts the truck driver, that's viewed legally as either "Harassment" (Class C Misdemeanor), or "Menacing" (Class A Misdemeanor). If the rider / driver come into physical contact w/ each other it becomes "Assault" -- although the truck driver is already guilty of Vehicular Assault.

Update --
Quote from the article "Hudson has been charged with two counts of wanton endangerment and was taken to Mason County Detention Center"

Read more: http://www.maysville-online.com/news...#ixzz1YPYNVc49

Here's the way the DA works: File charges sufficient to arrest, indict, arraign. Then review the case and enter "multiple pleading" -- filing several and various charges according to what the DA thinks he can prove at trial.

Jury may acquit on some of the charges and convict on some others. Legally, it's sort of like a Chinese buffet.

We, as motorcyclists, need to appreciate that aggressive driving infuriates lots of drivers. And for the record, I concede that I've flipped off my share of drivers -- full leathers on a black, dress Harley. Not good for the PR, but it seemed like a good idea at the time.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Hard to believe there are bikers stupid enough to stop and wait for an angry ******* so they can confront him. I am genuinely amazed that video didn't end with somebody getting 00 buckshot in the face.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
2.) grant it, at the point that they passed the truck it was a double yellow line but the curve was so wide open and he could see a good ways away and got on it to get around him.
irrelevant. It's probably double yellow to protect people trying to get out onto the road from side access or driveways. If you are trying to pull out you will never see some knothead passing another vehicle at 80 mph approaching and you will get T-boned when you pull out. There are reasons for laws.

·
Registered
178 Posts
The other thing that amazes me is that the bikers put their own reckless operation on public display. I have to wonder a bit about them....

That road isn't very far from me.

·
Super Moderator
6,294 Posts
Be interesting as to what he may receive...probably plead PTSD!:D

·
Registered
168 Posts
please by no means don't get the assumption that i'm condoning what they did, i personally disagree with what they were doing. it was in the context that the driver was trying to RUN THEM OFF THE ROAD!!! just irritates me thinking about it.

Just saying, i am probably one of the safest drivers/riders you will come across, my friends all make fun of me for it cause i come to complete stops at stop signs haha

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
please by no means don't get the assumption that i'm condoning what they did, i personally disagree with what they were doing. it was in the context that the driver was trying to RUN THEM OFF THE ROAD!!! just irritates me thinking about it.
Actually, if he was trying to put them down, he would have cut the wheel sharper and kept going until he ran all the way to the left edge. Looked to me like he did it slowly enough to give them enough time which is basically sending a message. It's definitely dangerous, but not as bad as what some dip did to me on I-5 after I had the "audacity" to blink my lights at him when he was going 60 mph in the left lane (speed limit 70) for about ten miles parallel to a semi truck blocking both lanes of traffic. When it broke to three lanes and he could no longer keep traffic blocked, I moved into the left lane and proceeded to drive off. A few seconds later he goes by on my right, slams on the brakes and swerves left running me straight into the bushes in the center divide. That's what a ******* retard in a truck does when he is trying to kill somebody.

·
Registered
14 Posts
The pickup driver is obviously an idiot. That said, if I lived on that road, I would be extemely upset with a steady stream of speeding bikes putting my family in harms way. These guys need to find a racetrack.

·
Registered
79 Posts

Heres a video to show that they were most likely not speeding.

They're not excessively speeding. You can't even see the limit. They shouldn't have passed like that, but to assume that they are speeding is hard to do from watching this video. I can admit that I can't judge speed by watching a video, but by watching a speedometer. I can't blame the bikers for passing. It was clear to go (assuming someone wasn't trying to kill them, and if they were in the wrong, let the police handle it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
The lean angles suggest that they were pushing pretty hard, and I certainly don't condone that pass. However, "speeding" as such doesn't impress me. Speed limits generally have as much to do with revenue collection as safety.

While the bikers were going way to hard, and made a stupid pass, the fact is that the pick up driver's actions were potentially lethal, whether or not he intended them to be so. The bikers probably deserve tickets, but the pickup guy needs to be in jail.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts