Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking at getting a tire for my Honda and these look like good tires, anybody try them?

·
Pale Rider
528 Posts
Have you done a Google search for reviews? Here is a site I like to check tire reviews on: link. By the way, Pirelli Route MT66 are all I will ride on anymore -- until they're no longer available. Cheers!
:coffee:

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yes, I have googled reviews, it seems like a fairly new tire but people haven't really said anything bad. I am just looking for further reviews on the tire.
Pirelli route 66, that looks like an interesting tire.

·
Registered
467 Posts
Is there any place I can go to find something more rigorous and reliable than amazon reviews? Does Consumer Reports look at motorcycle tires?

·
Pale Rider
528 Posts
The only luck I've had, is to do a Google search for reviews on the tires I am interested in, aside from checking the site listed above.

By the way, I've ridden the Pirelli MT66 Route tires on three very different bikes: '83 Kawi 440; '79 Honda 750; and my current ride, a '93 Kawi Voyager 1200 full touring bike. I rode all three bikes single, and two up, in the rain, and dry. The Honda, and the Voyager, were ridden two up, with full luggage loads, in lots of wind and rain... Like being glued to the roadway, in pouring rain. Never have had them slip, but I ride conservatively. I'd put them on any bike, except for a sports bike -- would need stickier tires for that. Cheers!
:coffee:

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I can't seem to find a weight rating for these tires, I ordered one for the back and thought of it
500lbs -/+ motorcycle + 250 lbs me = possible disaster if the tire won't hold

·
Swamp Rat Rider
1,903 Posts
The Indian Scout OEM Tires are Kendas and thought they were Okay .. But after 4,000 miles with the Traction being questionable, especially in wet conditions, switched to Michelin Commander II's and they are a Far Better Tire at a competitive price, just doesn't have the " Indian " Label on them which is fine with me as it's all over the Bike Itself anyway ..

·
Charlie Tango Xray
768 Posts
I didn't know Kenda made motorcycle tires.:confused:
I use Kenda tires on many of my older bicycles. And one of my trailers came with Kendas. I guess I've always gone with IRC tires for all my older bikes.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
to answer my own question the kenda tire is rated for 677 lbs...... no wheelies for me I suppose.

·
Registered
4,997 Posts
I have determined (for myself) that the way to find out which tires work best for a given bike are to go to the specific forum for that bike and see what the masses are riding on. If you have a Goldwing, go read up on the Goldwing forum, etc. Those guys share info and do lots of research. The tire that is horrible for a Ninja might be ideal for a Bandit.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Kenda's in general have served me well.

Of course, it all depends on what type of riding you're doing, and for how many miles.... I've used Kenda's on my vintage bikes for several years, and have no complaints. I'm not doing high speed anything, or long distance touring, so take that into consideration.... I typically have gotten mine off Ebay, for a decent price, and put them on myself.

·
Registered
257 Posts
If you plan to do much riding in the street, and any on the highway, I wouldn't go cheap on tires - too much is riding on them. Unless it's something you're going to putt around on I would stick with a little better brand:

Metzler
Dunlop
Michelin
Perilli
Bridgstone

etc....

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
will it do the ton? :biggrin: I need to replace the front tire next, I am pretty sure I saw a flaw in it. maybe I will go with a different brand on that one all weather tires are not hard to find.

·
Registered
3,160 Posts
I would say that it depends on WHERE you ride and the bike itself. Our roads in Ohio are getting worse all the time and you need a tire that can allow for that. I absolutely hated riding on chip and seal because the bikes wanted to follow the grooves. I found a middle priced tire in a Bridgestone S111 and it really stays on track. If you happen to lean the bike over in curves and happen to hit a painted line, they don't go squirrely on the paint, but just stick to it. Don't know about rain riding as of yet for that tire. I can also say that the tread on this tire is much deeper than the cheaper tires bought previously.

Got the tires from rockymountain ATV and they were delivered in less than 24 hours. Amazing. The bike is a Honda Magna 750 .

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Don't know what's your guy's experience with Bridgstone and Dunlop but for me; they are just perfect.:)
I had a Dunlop for a while which was a good tire and I just put a Bridgestone on the yami and it appears to be holding.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts