Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
This carburetor is from a 1959 Honda 150 Benly. Is the throttle valve slide removable? Is it being held in place by a spring clip? Will this free up the needle jet?
Yes, all parts are removable and the clip will free up the part. If you're cleaning it check to make sure carb rebuilt kits, or at least gaskets, needle, etc., are available.

If you are cleaning it, try the spray version of Berryman B12. It will melt the buildup of any sticky mess from gasoline, dirt, etc. Have used it for 35 years and it's wonderful Also, add Marvel Mystery oil to the fuel when you start it up and it too will flush the system, and lubricate the carb.

You may want to try the Berryman B12 before disassembling the carb and see if that solves whatever problem you're having.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for the information. I was afraid of applying too much force pulling the slide out.
I am going to try ultrasonic cleaning because of the age and amount of buildup. It should also clean the body. I will post how it goes.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Still use the Berryman B12 first. It does melt the varnish build up that you can't see as well as what you can see. That product is about $4-5.00. Not sure of what ultra-sound costs.

If the bike tends to sit for more than 2-3 months, both the Berryman and Marvel Mystery oil will keep gunk from building up in the fuel system.

Good luck with your projects.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts