Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Where I work, the parking lot has no cover at all. The sun beats down on every vehicle. I'd like to do something to keep the sun off my motorcycle, or at least the motor and seat. I know there are covers I could use, but would that make it worse? It seems a lot of them are black. Any ideas?

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
The cover will block the sun and prevent fading. I'm in Florida and so far this years its been running in the high 90's to near 100 degrees lately, when my bikes parked outside all day, I cover it. We get a lot of afternoon summer showers here too. That being said, my bikes are in new condition and I like to keep them looking that way as long as possible.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm more concerned about actual heat generation than UV rays on the paint. Would a cover increase the heat? Perhaps they make reflective ones...

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
I've been using covers for years without any damage to my bikes, I just use a good quality covers. As far as heat, when the temps get as hot as it does here, direct sunlight is much hotter than shade from a cover. Due to the type of construction, some covers can breath, and some covers have vents built in if your concerned about heat build up.

·
Registered
607 Posts
I have done direct comparisons of parking my black C50 in the sun for 8 hours on a hot day, both with and without a black nylon cover. Trust me -- at the end of the day that bike is MUCH cooler when kept covered, and shielded from UV damage, to boot.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Got it. Thanks everyone. Now to find a portable cover I can easily take with me on the motorcycle...

·
Premium Member
5,768 Posts
Instead of a full cover, you can search for a half cover; they just stretch over the seat and tank, but not down over the sides. I keep one handy, as they fold up really small.

Reactions: Porky

·
Registered
3,646 Posts
Wal-Mart sells a blue and silver bike cover that is light weight and not that expensive and pack down fairly small. If someone swipes it, you haven't lost that much. (And all they'll get is a cheap Wal-Mart bike cover.) :)

·
SUPER MODERATOR
9,140 Posts
My old (1997) Honda Goldwing OEM cover has a silver top and dark sides and bottom and says: 'GOLDWING' in big block letters. It has protected probably 30 bikes from the elements and thieves since no one wants to steal a Goldwing:smile_big: It is still like new. Quality is it's own reward:grin:

Sam:nerd:

·
Read Only
685 Posts
Wal-Mart sells a blue and silver bike cover that is light weight and not that expensive and pack down fairly small. If someone swipes it, you haven't lost that much. (And all they'll get is a cheap Wal-Mart bike cover.) :)
Those work great! Keeps bike cool, filters out the sun, and keeps the dust and grit away in windy areas too. I think I payed about $16.00 for one of them.

·
Moderator - Loves All Motorcycles
1,251 Posts
I swear by these covers. They're cheap, easy to anchor in heavy wind (just put a tyre on an end) and since they're so generic nobody bothers your bikes.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Instead of a full cover, you can search for a half cover; they just stretch over the seat and tank, but not down over the sides. I keep one handy, as they fold up really small.
There is a guy at work that uses one of these. His is red. It is like a bandana with little stretchy cords that tie to the bars and to something on the back. Shades the seat.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts