Motorcycle Forum banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

Registered
Me too, but then I never rode (or could afford) a Harley that was anywhere near warranty... Now days many of the 1% emulators are solidly in the 99% category and their mods consist of (maybe) windshields and doodads... Used to be that was one of the joys of the breed... was to tear into it... although a lot of us never went into the lower end, everything else was fair game including cam (cams in Sporty). Guess I'm being a cynic -- lots of Harley riders around my neighborhood, but only one that I think really tears into his bike -- and old, but well cared for ironhead that the guy brought back from the grave...

On the otherhand, Harley from about 2000 (the twinkies) has become less and less basic, so perhaps that contributes... in truth, once someone drops $20-30K int a big, there is a huge disincentive to diddle with it (especially if its purchase require a second mortgage or some such). Luved my Evo and it had the usual smattering of cam mods, ignition and carb tweaks, but sort of dropped out of the conversation after than... The one I like the best though was a ironhead years back -- very little left that was box-stock motor company on that rascal...
Well folks I'll put it to you this way ; last season I was riding up the main avenue and I decided to roll it on hard as I hit second gear . I heard the music in my right ear of an Italian exotic car . I glimpse the right mirror and here comes a gold Lamborghini ,.we stop at the fallowing light and he says wtf did you do to that thing. My answer was a little something ... ..so heck with stock 馃檪

Registered
Well folks I'll put it to you this way ; last season I was riding up the main avenue and I decided to roll it on hard as I hit second gear . I heard the music in my right ear of an Italian exotic car . I glimpse the right mirror and here comes a gold Lamborghini ,.we stop at the fallowing light and he says wtf did you do to that thing. My answer was a little something ... ..so heck with stock 馃檪
08 vstar 1300 tweaked ..

Registered
Not sure I buy the "huffing and puffing" explanation unless there is something about the specific length of the header pipe going in to the muffler on a 2 in to 1. Appears to me the length of the factory Harley pipes/muffler combination would be sufficient to create vacuum inside the pipe for the next exhaust stroke in that pipes cyclinder.

If you're talking about the 2 in to 1 being more efficient at a higher, more specific rpm range, I might buy that. But I kind of have to believe that for a factory stock engine, the Harley engineers built the best exhaust system for all around use. No matter how much I like the sound of a healthy engine growl.

Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
You don't have to buy it for it to be true. Ever looked at a set of headers? Unequal lengths for a reason. Harley back in the day used to have a balance pipe between the exhausts. Looked like crap and people took them off because of the look. It was there for a reason.

American Legion Rider
Fuelmoto went to great lengths to make a header pipe that kept that huffing and puffing when the cat was removed on bikes like my Indian. Although I don't have a 2 to 1 exactly, but they knew they had to maintain the scavaging of that huffing and puffing. Many just removed it and suffered low end performance. So it's real.

Registered
My header pipes are identical (or at least mirror image), and have a cross over pipe between them. Anyone trying to go 2 into 1 has to follow up with carb adjustments/modifications, and I don't think ever gets it as good as stock.

Registered
Unequal lengths? Years ago when I did a little dirt track racing, it seems like the tube lengths were all pretty much the same length. That was why they twisted all around so they would all come out at the same place, at the collector.

Registered
While working on my 2012 Super Glide today, I seen it has a crossover pipe. Had never noticed it before. Harley did a good job of blacking it out and making it "disappear".

Registered
I get a kick out of guys that tell me that they put a 2 into 1 pipe on there bike and that it sure runs better. I don't tell them that they had a 2 into 1 pipe to start with. The best performance exhaust for a Harley is usually some good slip on mufflers with stock head pipes/cat removed if it's in the head pipe. Actually, I've been told that the cat doesn't cost more than a few hp. A guy that runs a dyno told me that. My stage III does everything I want it to and sounds good doing it with the cat and I have a 5 year warranty on that motor.

Premium Member
While working on my 2012 Super Glide today, I seen it has a crossover pipe. Had never noticed it before. Harley did a good job of blacking it out and making it "disappear".
On my XS400, I will be removing the crossover pipe. It is leaking and difficult to repair. I will report back on the Two Ton Tests thread.

UK

Registered
I have/had no intention of changing the pipes on my Super Glide, but then I read someone put a 2 into 1 on their Super Glide and no more dragging that lower pipe in the curves. That I would like.

Now I'm not, at this time, actively searching for a 2 in to 1 pipe, but if I were to come across one at a reasonable price, and I've got the $$$, well... But it would still have to be a reasonably quiet exhaust system. :)

Registered
The older I get the more I want a bike I don't have to modify after I buy it. Especially an air-cooled bike. If it's not fast enough as is then I should buy a faster bike. But that's just me.

Registered
I took the risk on my SuperSport and put on a new exhaust - with full de-cat - and had the ECU flashed within a year of owning it. This voided my warranty, but luckily I have had 25,000 trouble free miles over the last three years so it never became an issue. With my new Streetfighter V4 I worry more about costs of repairs outside of warranty. Because of this and the fact that the least expensive exhaust option approved from the factory is nearly $4,900 (for a slip-on!) I won't be doing anything but cosmetic changes until at least after the warranty is up. I like to fiddle with my bike and add something to it to make it stand out a bit.

Moderator - Like a crazy cat lady but with bikes!
I've not modded my rides a whole lot. I usually do lighting (converting everything to LED and RGB), but I'd love to get into stuff like new bars, exhausts, or even full on cafe builds. :D

21 - 36 of 36 Posts