Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm a new rider. Getting ready to purchase my first bike. Wanting a vintage Honda. But I am afraid my large size 6'6" 270lbs 36"inseam will make things difficult.

·
Female Rider
9,324 Posts
Hello & welcome to the Forum from the other side of the state. Good luck in your search for a bike. I love the vintage bikes too.

·
Registered
4,927 Posts
Welcome from another KC Rider, a few things to think about on vintage bikes....you need to have a good grasp on mechanical knowledge or a fat wallet to pay someone for repairs....

it also kind of depends on what you consider "vintage"....some would say 60's and 70's bikes, others would say 80's....the thing to watch for (I would think) is the condition of the bikes you look at, some things will be hard to find replacements for, at your size, being 6'6'', a lot of old bikes will not be a very comfortable fit physically....me, I would love to have an older 750 Honda (like my dad rode when I was a kid) but my size (6'2'' and over 400 lbs.) makes it very impractical for me....

I wish you luck on finding what your looking for though, and hope you have a great time riding....

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
Welcome to the forum Adam. Many of us here here have some kind of restrictions on when we can ride. I am retired so that does not apply to me but it does to many other folks.
If you are in the early stages of looking for a bike, start by sitting on any bike that is even close to what you might like. It will give you a feel for this and that bike. Those impressions are invaluable. They will guide you when you are really getting close.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I went and looked at a few vintage bikes and kept going back to the CB350. I took a buddy of mine who checked it out. It runs great! And looks great!

So I pulled the trigger.

It's actually a pretty comfortable ride despite my size.

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
If you have pulled the trigger I congratulate you. Many of us are not that restrained. If you are still looking things are a bit different. Start by looking at every bike in your local multi-brand shop. Yes I mean all of them. If one appeals to you, it might be your first bike. There is no such thing as a beginner bike but there are such a thing as bikes that appeal to new riders. The appeal is often very short lived.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Welcome from Lee's Summit. I'm a big guy and I just started riding and I lucked out that my bike fits me very well. I think the little guys probably don't have to think about comfort as much as us heavy weights do so make sure you find something that puts you in a riding position that is comfortable. I rode a small bike for the training course and it was not comfortable at all, I appreciate my bike so much more now.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Yep, it's all about what's comfortable to the rider. Starting off on a bike that actually fits you is the best way to go. You can always move up to a bigger size once you learn the ways. I love my Suzuki S40 650. It fits "me". But to someone else, it may not be the right one to start off on. But it's perfect for me. Those 250's at the BRC where too small for my liking too, but would make someones perfect learning bike. I'm finding myself way more relaxed on it. I did try riding one of my friends 900 last week and I was scared to death on it and said to myself, I'm not ready for something big yet...

·
Super Moderator
1,581 Posts
Welcome to the forum! Glad you found us and hope you will make yourself at home here! The 350 is a great learner but I'm afraid you will outgrow it in a riding season. It gets real slow real fast.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts