Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Son and I went to the Kawasaki store to test ride the Vulcan S, dealer got several bikes as demos and needs to have them ridden with papers filled out.

For those that don't know, Vulcan S is a Ninja 650 motor, trans, frame, suspension, with cruiser body parts.

It is a pretty cool looking bike, nice and well placed instrumentation, you can get seat handlebars and foot pegs placed to fit, I don't know the configuration we rode but it was perfect for me, seat is extremely comfortable.

Getting off 900 Custom and getting on Vulcan S, first thought was "small", starting up and moving it felt like a Buell Blast with a great seat and way better seating position.

I only ran it up to 6k, at that rpm its not quite as quick as the 900, redlines at 9500 so running up to 8k probably at least as fast as the 900 or faster.

Son and I agreed on everything including this would be a great bike for his Mommy, small, lightweight, easy to handle, not too quick or too slow.......but she'll need more time riding her scooter.

·
6,500 Posts
Right now, the motorcycle industry and the manufacturers are trying everything they can to entice new riders into the fold, as we old farts are leaving for one reason or another, most likely age and disabilities.:frown:

I applaud all of the brands for making cheaper, entry level bikes available, in every style and performance category, from 125cc Standards to many different cruiser platforms, of all different engine sizes.

RPM's mean nothing to a typical cruiser rider as most want very low rpm's when in top gear and cruising down the highway.

More rpm's on top means less torque down low and the more rpm's a bike turns at cruising speeds means more wear.

A new 2012 Kawasaki Vaquero 1700 cruiser that I test rode had such high gearing in 6th gear that at around 70mph, if memory serves me well, was only turning 2,100 rpm's or so. Of course at 50 mph in 6th, there was basically NO acceleration at all unless the trans was downshifted several times. I bought a new Goldwing instead.

An 1823cc Goldwing will accelerate cleanly and rapidly in 5th gear from 1,500 rpm's, with the smoothness of a Porsche.

Sam:coffeescreen:

·
Justa anutta Human......
728 Posts
Hopefully they increased the torque on the Vulcan S, and changed gearing to handle lower rpms for highway use.
I do realize people buying these probly ain't looking to go 130+ mph anyway, but out to enjoy the day.
I do that with my Ninja....enjoy the day.....

·
Justa anutta Human......
728 Posts
Right now, the motorcycle industry and the manufacturers are trying everything they can to entice new riders into the fold, as we old farts are leaving for one reason or another, most likely age and disabilities.:frown:

I applaud all of the brands for making cheaper, entry level bikes available, in every style and performance category, from 125cc Standards to many different cruiser platforms, of all different engine sizes.

RPM's mean nothing to a typical cruiser rider as most want very low rpm's when in top gear and cruising down the highway.

More rpm's on top means less torque down low and the more rpm's a bike turns at cruising speeds means more wear.

A new 2012 Kawasaki Vaquero 1700 cruiser that I test rode had such high gearing in 6th gear that at around 70mph, if memory serves me well, was only turning 2,100 rpm's or so. Of course at 50 mph in 6th, there was basically NO acceleration at all unless the trans was downshifted several times. I bought a new Goldwing instead.

An 1823cc Goldwing will accelerate cleanly and rapidly in 5th gear from 1,500 rpm's, with the smoothness of a Porsche.

My Ninja cruises at 60 MPH at 4 grand.....
I don't feel that's very high on rpms.
Think it was at 5 grand yesterday at round 75 on the Pike.
Most the time i had to go 90 just to stay with the traffic.....
I wonder if the Vulcan S will have a hard time at 90 on the big roads..?

·
6,500 Posts
Your 90mph is more than likely only 80 or so unless you are talking about a GPS actual 90 mph.:confused:

By the way, I really like your Ninja 650;)

Sam:biggrin:

·
Pegasus trapped in a human body on a motorcycle
9,226 Posts
you can get seat handlebars and foot pegs placed to fit
Checking the Kawasaki website, I see that they offer a seat that moves you forward 2 inches and pegs moved back an inch. I think I would want the pegs even further back, personally, and it almost looks like there could be room for such placement.

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Checking the Kawasaki website, I see that they offer a seat that moves you forward 2 inches and pegs moved back an inch. I think I would want the pegs even further back, personally, and it almost looks like there could be room for such placement.
Never know until you go sit on one.

·
Registered
619 Posts
I sat on a Vulcan S last month. It still seemed kind of heavy to me, but I'm still pretty new to motorcycles. I was kind of hoping my next bike would be a shaft or a belt drive. If the S had one of those, it'd make a more compelling case, at least for me.

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I sat on a Vulcan S last month. It still seemed kind of heavy to me, but I'm still pretty new to motorcycles. I was kind of hoping my next bike would be a shaft or a belt drive. If the S had one of those, it'd make a more compelling case, at least for me.
I hadn't looked at the weight, it felt like a Buell Blast(about 400lb) driving it around, but it is 500lb, 35lbs more than a Ninja.

·
FTW ┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌
1,691 Posts

6th gear aka "an overdrive gear" on the VN1700's is only used when you are out on the highways and interstates cruising above 65 mph, but if you want to use it at 50 mph it can be done. It's purpose mainly to help save some mpg's while highway cruising. Why you were riding in 6th at only 50 mph makes no sense to me as it is pointless. Grant it the VAQ and Classic have different tunes with the Classic being the most powerful out of the VN1700 line (Classic E) to be precise. The classic makes it's TQ at around 2250 while the Voyager & Vaq make there TQ @ 2750. When you ride through a bike's gears and are doing it at wrong speeds then go and blog about in a negative way you are basically posting false information about said motorcycle.

You can ride 2nd easily past 30 mph and or higher, then shift into 3rd and take that into high 40's low 50's (but really should be in 4th before hitting 50 mph. I'm not sure how fast you got that Vaq up too, but if you were in 6th @ 50 you would of needed to downshift to 4th to feel the power to excellerate. I can cruise in 6th out on the interstate at 60 and just need to get on throttle to excellerate moderately to pass and it always get's the job done. If I want real aggressive, power to go faster at 60, dropping down to 5th get's the job done. If you want to feel the power from take off, 1rst to 10 - 15 mph, 2nd to 35- 40/42 mph, 3rd to 52/55 mph, 4th to 60/68 mph, 5th from 62/68, then 6th from 68. The VN1700 will pull really hard in 6th if you are going 70 mph and you will feel it if you got on the throttle at 70 and be into high 90's and still feel the TQ past 105 mph. Take off that restrictive exhaust, put in high flow air filter, and auto tuner I inadvertently had the front wheel lift off the ground by a 1/4" last month.

·
Charlie Tango Xray
759 Posts
Back in the late '90s my wife had a Vulcan 500 which had a re-tuned Ninja motor too. Even though she rarely rode it, she kind of always resented selling it. So naturally when she saw the new Vulcan S 650 was coming out with adjustable ergos, and in Kawi green, she put her name on the list at our local dealer to get one. I'm thinking she changed her mind about getting back into riding though, because I haven't heard anymore about it in months.:frown: But it was the first bike in many years that had her thinking about riding again.:71baldboy:

·
6,500 Posts
Kaz---Dude, I was trying to make up my mind about what to buy and I rode the Vaquero and the full dress vulcan and actually came down to a coin toss between that and the 2012 Wing I bought. I wasn't dissing your ride---I've had 3 Vulcans. Now:

Obviously, after riding the bikes with the new 6 speed overdrive, it became readily apparent that the bike doesn't like to be lugged down and would work better if downshifted---several times.

Why shouldn't a person be able to slow down to 55-60 mph in top gear? My Goldwing was able to slow to half that speed in top gear and accelerate at least twice or three times faster than the Vulcan's.

You do know that since there inception as a 1500cc, 4 speed, extended fork cruiser (I had a new 1987 1500 L Vulcan) and it had good torque but no Horsepower--unfortunately just like the 1600 and 1700 series.

I like the 1700's but they are slow and gutless but very reliable.:p

I had a new 2003 VTX 1800 that also had to be downshifted frequently at lower speed to keep from bucking and shaking.

Sam:biggrin:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts