Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello MF world! I am totally new to motorcycles, practically a newborn in the world of motorcycles. I am a full time student, and with the horrendous gas prices around my hometown, driving my lifted SUV around everyday is no longer an efficient method of transportation. A few buds of mine and I got to talking and we decided to invest in motorcycles. I did some research and some browsing on Craigslist and found a 1982 Kawasaki KX650 Bobber nearby for pretty cheap. As a student, money is really tight, so the less money that I have to spend fixing it up, the better. So, does anybody have any knowledge of these bikes? Are they reliable? Any common problems with them? What are normal things to need replacing when buying an older bike?

The price on the bike is $550.

Again, I am new to bikes, so the more help and advice, the better!

Post here or PM, either way works for me. Thanks!

·
Special Member
669 Posts
"Bobber" suggests to me someone has done extensive modifications to it. This can be good, as in replacing old, worn out parts. Or it can be bad, as in things being held on with duct tape and bailing twine.

That said, $550 is pretty cheap, which is good, but if it's that cheap, it probably has some serious flaws, which is bad.

On a used bike you'll often end up replacing the tires at the very least. Brake hoses are also highly suspect. Check the gas tank for rust inside (bring a bright flashlight). A rusty chain is also a bad sign.

·
Registered
2,633 Posts
Im assuming you mean KZ650.....

The Kawasaki KZ line of bikes is generally considered to overall well made, dependable and easy to work on.

The word "bobber" concerns me.

Now if "bobber" means this guy sprayed it flat black and hung some Maltese cross **** all over it - then that aint so bad.

If "bobber" means to him what it means to me.....then his bike is a rigid, likely lacking everything but a headlight and a tail light and probably doesnt have a front brake. I would not recommend that type of bike for a beginner.

.....so I guess Im saying it depends on how extensively its been "bobber"d.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
It could just mean he took the rear fender off. Personally, I like fenders.

I like to talk to people who own them, which means looking for specific forums; http://kz650.info/ A little Google action brought that one right up.

Used bikes (I wonder if there's a "sticky" about used bikes anywhere here?)
Why is he selling it?
How did he arrive at this price?
How do the chain and sprockets look? (how loose or rusty or over-tight is the chain? Are the sprocket teeth even, or too pointy / galled on one side?)
Tires
Battery
Does it start and run easily?
Does his yard look pretty good?
How does he dress?
Does it look like he'd be someone you'd enjoy having a cuppa with?

Oh yeah- I look at ALL that.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts