Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Yup that's awesome engineering! & I can't wait for the stream of noobs in the "1st bike / new rider" section asking if the H2 would be an OK bike to start on :D

Check out the 2015 Yamaha R1 review too, dam insane!

·
Registered
886 Posts
DISCLAIMER; Do not attempt at home, riders in this video are professionals on a closed course. Yeah there will be idiots that will buy these as their first bike like the Hayabusa or ZX-14. The scary thing is that someone will find a way to take one of these and modify it to get another 10, 20, or thirty or more horsepower out of it. The question I have is will they be allowed in superbike racing? The H2 will have more HP than any other stock 1000cc production road race replica sold to the public and you know the race versions are tweaked to produce more , not even taking the H2R into consideration. It is my opinion that motorcycle accident deaths and serious injuries are about to increase at least slightly soon. No thanks, I'll just watch from the seat of my 100HP or less bike as they go by and keep looking for parts strewn across the road as I go.

·
Premium Member
6,516 Posts
Kwaker

Rebeldog. Agreed.
Will be up to the various rules bodies to make some decisions. The super charger will not fly in any class, IMO. BMW used them in the thirties and they were rightly banned, again IMO. CMA would not allow them to run up here, and AMA did the same.
015 Moto GP should be an interesting year. 200hp is enough already, to achieve the aim of finding out who is the best rider.
I have not been following super bike or any AMA races. Nothing shows up on my telly.

Unkle Crusty*

·
6,483 Posts
100 HP years ago was seen as excessive and for racing only and I'm sure the do-gooders decried the "Idiots' that rode them too.:icon_mad:

I've had LOTS of bikes that exceeded that number, right at 150HP to the rear wheel (Add 10 to 20% for the crankshaft rating) and I've never had a bit of trouble since my throttle hand is controlled by my brain.:wink:

I also drive a 400HP cage and enjoy the thing in a safe fashion, because my foot throttle is controlled by my brain.:wink:

I started out on the Honda 50cc cub variation, the C110, in 1962 and the little Cub 50cc bike is still the number one selling bike of ALL time @ more than 50 MILLION sold. What this has to do with the topic, I have no idea:confused:

Buy what you like and enjoy it safely.:biggrin:

Sam:coffeescreen:

·
Premium Member
6,516 Posts
Brain

100 HP years ago was seen as excessive and for racing only and I'm sure the do-gooders decried the "Idiots' that rode them too.:icon_mad:

I've had LOTS of bikes that exceeded that number, right at 150HP to the rear wheel (Add 10 to 20% for the crankshaft rating) and I've never had a bit of trouble since my throttle hand is controlled by my brain.:wink:

Buy what you like and enjoy it safely.:biggrin:

Agreed. 100 hp and a 400 pound bike is plenty enough for street use.
Problem with many newbies, is the throttle hand is connected to there dick.

Unkle Crusty*

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
11,442 Posts
I love superchargers, have one on my truck and my car. But on a bike? Sure the power is linear and controllable, but it would be so easy to twist that throttle a bit too much. 320 HP is a lot of power, and probably has around the same torque

·
6,483 Posts
:biggrin:"Problem with many newbies, is the throttle hand is connected to there dick."

That might work for a 'ride by wire' throttle but not with a push-pull cable---that could hurt!:biggrin:

·
Registered
886 Posts
Just like if you have the money and proper license you can buy any super high performance car you want and drive it off the lot to wrap it around the first telephone pole that jumps in front of you. Too many let their "manhood" make important decisions or buy something because it's faster than any of their friends can afford.

·
Pegasus trapped in a human body on a motorcycle
9,226 Posts
Ok, I have to ask... WHAT THE [BLEEP]ING [BLEEP]ED [BLEEP] is the purpose for one of these things, beyond bragging rights. The H2 would NEVER be able to use anything more than 1/4th of it's power on the street without landing the rider in jail. Seriously, the thing is so damn powerful, where the hell you gonna use all that power? Take it to the track? Seems awfully expensive for a track day toy.

Then they up the power by another 100hp, and give us the track only H2R.

Spidy, AJ, I empathize.

Years back, Nickey Hayden was winning races on his 240hp RC211 literbike. The eventually changed the rules, because the bikes were becoming too damn powerful. Ok, it looked impressive going around the track, but that was a single rider going around that closed course, and not an entire cluster[BLEEP] of riders all clawing to get in front of one another on machines that were already too powerful.

These things are getting more crazy than I want, and the docs at the local V.A. hospital claim I am crazier than a rabid honey badger on crack, meth and Redbull.

Ok, fine... impressive machines. They wanna really impress me? Build a 100hp bike that gets the fuel economy of a 300 Ninja. THAT will be the time I stand up and take notice in a good way.

·
FTW ┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌
1,691 Posts
The H2-R looks insane with the supercharger that Kawasaki makes in house. Also carries a steep $50k plus price tag on it. The H2 is still steep @ $25k, though I can only imagine how sick it would be to hop on one and let it loose.

·
Registered
886 Posts
Biker Dash I think in one of the videos I have seen top speed is not much more than a standard super sport bike, it's the acceleration getting there the supercharger is for and that is my question about racing one in established road racing classes. Maybe there will be a separate class for those that want to try to tame that acceleration.

·
FTW ┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌
1,691 Posts
I was watching a video not long ago about the H2R and it was being debuted in Japan at a race track. They said it can reach speeds over 250 mph I think. It was a rather long video.

·
Premium Member
6,516 Posts
Class

Why would any governing body make a special class for a recently introduced bike?
Most classes and tracks, and engine sizes and horsepower, are set so that 200 to 210 mph is the top speed possible. The idea of racing is to test the skill of the driver or rider. Obviously there is much technology involved.
Making the straights much longer and allowing more horsepower, so that higher top speeds can be reached, does not really achieve anything useful.
NASCAR in using about 125 less hp this year. I believe drag strips have been shortened to 1/8 mile. I would have preferred staying with 1/4 mile, and not using fuel like nitro.
Blowers are not new. BMW used them at the IOM in the thirties. WO Bentley used them on his cars in the thirties.
Heck we even had a blown CB750 show up at the Westwood track in the 70s.

There really is no place for this blown Kwaker, IMO

Unkle Crusty*

·
Registered
886 Posts
I have a hard time believing all drag racing has been reduced to eighth mile, there are too many cars or bikes that would never reach their full potential, in other words they are just getting started at that distance. The other point Krusty makes about another class for a specific bike, ever hear of spec racing? It can be for stock or specific models like the Vance & Hines XR1200 series as one example. Since there are no other factory made supercharged superbikes to compete against what else will you do with a race only H2R? Having all that handling and cornering capability for a drag racing bike would seem to be a waste of capability. Just my opinion.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts