Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a 1989 Kawasaki 454 last year, and it has been in running fairly well until recently. The bike starts fine. The idle is set to 1200 RPM. It idles fine when cold.

The problem: When the bike heats up the idle drops to around 500-900 and will occasionally die even if the tank is full.

Things done:
  • Valve Job
  • Carbs Cleaned and Aligned
  • New Battery
  • New exhaust system
My mechanic says since the valve job and the carb work had been done it's likely an electrical issue. And I should look at the CDI box, spark plugs, and coil. I'm by no means a mechanic, and I've put a lot more money into fixing this bike than it's worth at this point. I really need help trying to find this problem and solving it. If you have any ideas what's up with my bike let me know.

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
When did you have the new exhaust installed, and is it different than the stock exhaust? Did your runability problems coincide with the new exhaust system? When you install a new exhaust you also need to set your carb up for that pipe. It can require different jets/needle, etc.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The new exhaust is actually taken from another kawasaki 454 so it is essentially the original exhaust, but much cleaner.. Te carbs were checked after I had the new pipes added

1 - 4 of 4 Posts